WANTED --- TOSHIBA SD 2300 OR SAMSUNG N-501 OR SAMSUNG N-504 ---

torriani82

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm Luca, i'm from Italy and I'm new here in this forum. First of all I'm from Italy, so forgive my awful english!
I'm really interested in buying a Nuon and i'm kinda desperate cos last week i've seen on Amazon a n-501 for 35 $. I've mailed the seller if he can ship to Italy and i got no answer, so I've subscribed to Viaddres and... the Nuon was vanished!
I've seen that this is a community full of retrogamer like me so i thought that someone could help me:
I'm searching for a: sd 2300 (my fav choice), n-501 or n-504.
Hope that someone can sell me, i don't mind if loose.
Thanks to everyone,
Have a great day!

Serblander

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forums :)

Second, good luck with your search.They can get a bit pricey but you can find a bargaing from time to time (got my N501 for US $35 if memory serves). Both my systems i got off US ebay and that is the place you will most likely find it. Most of my NUON games though i found on Amazon. Rarely (but sometimes) you do see someone on here selling a NUON system, but your better bet is to keep a watchful eye on ebay ;)

I am curious though, why is the SD2300 your first choice? Just because of looks or for something else? I have a (CIB) Toshiba SD-2300 and a Samsung N-501. The N-501 is the better option as it has many more VLM effects and can also play homebrew NUON games (which you can get from THE best source on NUON info site: www.nuon-dome.com ;]

In any case, good luck with your NUON search and welcome to the forums :)

torriani82

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for your reply! ;)
My first choice was the sd23000 just for an aesthetic purpose: I like its shape and look more than the N-501. But I thought that their functions were quite the same... so:
What are the differences between sd-2300 and n-501?
Can I play burned dvd on the sd-2300?
Can I play backuped iso of original games on the sd-2300?
Hope that someone of you experts can answer to my questions....
Thanks in advance!

Serblander

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for your reply! ;)
No worries. Always happy to help out :)

My first choice was the sd23000 just for an aesthetic purpose: I like its shape and look more than the N-501.
The SD-2300 does look like a sleek black beast, i'll give you that. Initially I also much preferred the look of the Toshiba model, but the rather unique looking (to me at least) N-5xx model(s) started growing on me... :)

But I thought that their functions were quite the same... so:
What are the differences between sd-2300 and n-501?
Here is a link from NUON-Dome website showing a great side-by-side comparison between the NUON DVD players:
http://www.nuon-dome.com/compare.html

Keep in mind, apart from the gaming side, the Toshiba model has only 8 VLM effects compared to the Samsung's 100 (N2000) and 152 + Improved Beat Detection (all N-5xx models)!

If you don't know about VLM, its basically an interactive Visual Light Machine that responds to music and user controller input developed by the legendary Jeff Minter (who also wrote my fave NUON game: Tempest 3000). Here is some very basic VLM info from wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Light_Machine

In short:
VLM 1 --> Atari Jaguar CD player
VLM 2 --> NUON DVD players
VLM 3 --> XBOX 360 (in-built 'Neon' music player & visualizer)

Can I play burned dvd on the sd-2300?
What exactly do you mean by burned DVD? As in movies? If so i don't know. If you mean by burned games, as in the homebrew NUON games (which must be burned to CD-R) then NO. You cannot play burned CD-R's on either the Samsung N-2000 or the Toshiba SD-2300! For that you will need a Samsung N-501 or later/other N-5xx model - this is why they are so much more sought after.

Can I play backuped iso of original games on the sd-2300?
I have all 7 original Western released NUON games, so i do not know if any of the players will play back-up discs of those games. Maybe someone else here can answer this for you.

Hope that someone of you experts can answer to my questions....
Hhehe, i'm no NUON expert but i've been around for some time ;) I hope that's a good start anyway :)

Thanks in advance!
Refer to my 1st quote above ;)

torriani82

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answers Serblander!
Two more questions:

1)For me it's really important to know if I can use the SD2300 as a DVD player to watch series and film downloaded from the torrents sites, because I will connect to the lcd tv in the bedroom and I will use it to watch film (burned on DVD-R) with my girlfriend.
I've found this page:
http://club.myce.com/f7/toshiba-sd-2300-dvd-player-74707/
and I've seen the links but it isn't clear at all... somebody who owns the sd2300 can help me?

2)I've already buyed all the Nuon games I'd love to play (Tempest and Freefall) but I cannot find anywhere Iron Soldier 3 for a decent price, so for me it's really important to know if the sd2300 can play a copy of IS 3, burned with Nero or stuff like that? Since Tempest and Freefall are brand new I'd like to play backuped copy also, so somebody who owns a sd2300 can help me?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Luca

Serblander

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answers Serblander!
Always a pleasure to help :)

Two more questions:

1)For me it's really important to know if I can use the SD2300 as a DVD player to watch series and film downloaded from the torrents sites, because I will connect to the lcd tv in the bedroom and I will use it to watch film (burned on DVD-R) with my girlfriend.
I've found this page:
http://club.myce.com/f7/toshiba-sd-2300-dvd-player-74707/
and I've seen the links but it isn't clear at all... somebody who owns the sd2300 can help me?
If no one here can confirm for you (in your other thread) i will dig out my SD-2300 from storage and try and test this out for you. I have no idea if the blank DVD-R's from Australia will work on the US DVD player (anyone know? Should be region free discs...) but i will try and burn something to test out for you.

Also, after reading the first post in that link, if the DVD-R doesn't work i will try and find some DVD+R discs. This may take a little while but i will do my best to make it quick. Hopefully someone that knows for sure can answer that for the both of us ;)

2)I've already buyed all the Nuon games I'd love to play (Tempest and Freefall) but I cannot find anywhere Iron Soldier 3 for a decent price, so for me it's really important to know if the sd2300 can play a copy of IS 3, burned with Nero or stuff like that? Since Tempest and Freefall are brand new I'd like to play backuped copy also, so somebody who owns a sd2300 can help me?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Luca
I can see if i can make a back up copy from one of mine to test out on my SD-2300 - it might be a good idea for me to keep back-ups anyway and load from them in order to save my originals from damage in any case...

Will let you know (unless someone else does it first).

Ciao

litoskin

Reaction score
Ciao Luca sono anche io italiano :)
ma siccome il forum sono quasi tutti anglofoni ti scrivo in Inglese!
With all nuon player you could not use european pal dvd movies except with european nuon dvd N505 (very rare to find)
You could use it with original films not with Dvd-R . the european version has not joypad ports so you could not use games exept you do the Ratko Jovicic modification (hard to do!)
The best way is to buy a Samsung one like 501 you can play all original and back up titles ,use the best VLM .
The toshiba player does not work with iron solider 3 even original (the games as been pulled off from store shelf because it has problem with this kind of player).
Ciao
Marco

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.