WANTED:Toshiba SD-2300 Update Disk

cubanismo

You may change this now in User CP
Reaction score
Bumping this thread. I've been trying to create a disk using the files and following the instructions from here:

And it's not happening. Anyone have the actual disk they could share an image from, rather than just the files? @K3V perhaps?

cubanismo

Reaction score
Finally got it to work by writing the disc using Mac OS X's built-in disc burning utility (I.e., just dragging files onto the blank disc in finder. Thanks for the suggestion @sixersfan105). Attaching the ISO image to save others the trouble. I verified taking this ISO and burning it to a disc in ImgBurn in Windows also generated a usable firmware update disc.

Also, attaching a few images of the update in progress and after it completes, both as proof and just because it's a neat bit of history. Sorry for the image quality. I had to work fast getting my phone out, as once you get a working disc, the update proceeds very quickly (Much faster than the Samsung DVD-n501 update):

toshiba_sd-2300_firmware_update-1.jpg

toshiba_sd-2300_firmware_update-2.jpg

Attachments

• Toshiba Update.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Phipscube

Reaction score
Finally got it to work by writing the disc using Mac OS X's built-in disc burning utility (I.e., just dragging files onto the blank disc in finder. Thanks for the suggestion @sixersfan105). Attaching the ISO image to save others the trouble. I verified taking this ISO and burning it to a disc in ImgBurn in Windows also generated a usable firmware update disc.

Also, attaching a few images of the update in progress and after it completes, both as proof and just because it's a neat bit of history. Sorry for the image quality. I had to work fast getting my phone out, as once you get a working disc, the update proceeds very quickly (Much faster than the Samsung DVD-n501 update):

View attachment 19675

View attachment 19676

I've been away from Nuon for a few months so was pleased to see someone trying to get the Firmware Update Disc working. I've had the same issues. Not a single DVD i've burnt for my Tosh works. I eagerly downloaded your image and burnt 4X speed onto a Verbatim DVD-R in Imgburn on win 10... doesn't work :( I can't get the recently released DVD compilation Hombrew disc to work either. Nothing I burn works. But I got some burnt games (Including Iron Soldier 3) with my N501... all these work straight out on my Tosh, and it runs original games perfectly too (apart form Songbird releases). My player serial number doesn't fall in the list of machines that need firmware update, but for the life of me I can't get it to play The Next Tetris (one of the DVD-R's I got with N501) it only plays the disc as a DVD video. Which was the original reason the firmware fix was released ironically. The Free mail in game from Toshiba didn't work on half the machines out in the wild. Its like my Tosh is very special.. haha!.. Both my 501 and 505 now have faulty lasers so the only Nuon machine I have left working is my trusty old Tosh.. still going strong, just weird with DVD-R. i'm considering getting an old Mac just to burn discs! I don't want to miss out on the pending Homebrew explosion!

cubanismo

Reaction score
If your machine isn't in the range that need the update, it just won't do anything even if you do get it to load. How does it fail? It sounds like you just have a borderline laser/optical drive. E.g., my Toshiba reads more DVD-Rs than my Samsung, but neither will read everything I throw at them. I have 3 DVD burners and I tried 3 different DVD-R media before I got a combination that works reliably.

If your machine fails almost immediately with a "NO DISC" error on the LCD display, that's the issue of not creating the image correctly that I was running into here. The Toshiba BIOS is very picky about what disc layouts it will read in a way we haven't completely tracked down yet, and that's what I was running into. It doesn't matter which program or drive you burn on in this case, it's the program that creates the ISO image/lays the disc out that causes problems, and almost all of the ones I've tried with all the settings I can find make images the Toshiba won't accept.

On the other hand, if it sits there and chugs along trying to read the disc for a long time, that's just your laser going bad. Recordable optical discs are much less reflective than the real glass-mastered ones, and questionable optical drive mechanisms will fail to read recordable medium long before they fail to read factory discs.

Before all hope is lost though, it could just be a dusty/grimy lens. Open the machine up, unscrew the plastic covering over the DVD drive and *carefully* lift it off as there's a tension wire that likes to jump off and get lost, take a cotton swab dipped in some isopropyl alcohol, and gently rub the drive lense with it, then put everything back together. That was enough to get both my Nuons reading DVD-R discs most of the time.

cubanismo

Reaction score
BTW, reliable DVD-R media that's still manufactured (as of posting):

(CMC Pro - Powered by TY Technology Watershield Glossy White Inkjet Hub 16X DVD-R)

Almost every other brand of CD-R/DVD-R/etc. is just a rebadge of CMC's lower-quality "consumer grade" process these days. You can look at the manufacturer codes in a good burner program to verify this. These aren't quite as good as the old real Taiyo Yuden/JVC or made-in-Japan Sony discs, but they work.

Last edited:

Phipscube

Reaction score
Thanks for the info :)

My Tosh doesn't work with any of the Enhanced DVD's Nuon features (Just comes up with the "you need a NUON enhanced player" message) or has The Next Tetris in the menu for the Game disc, only the DVD sections. All the problems associated with the Firmware needing updating, but my serial number isn't on the list

All discs i've tried to burn (on 2 different burners and 2 different medias) all basically make the laser go crazy and hit the disc. I hear it go *clunk* so am reluctant to try so often. All originals work no probs every time and the copies I have from someone else work flawless too (on phillips media) so I think the problem is my method/media. The laser seems solid.

I'm pretty verse with hardware and have had the machine open and examined/cleaned the laser to no avail. I tried to source the laser part but its not available anymore. The best thing I could try is SAC an SD2800 and see if there is any difference swapping the whole drive mech.

I will try to get the discs you linked to as see if that helps. I also have a friend that may have an old Mac I can borrow..

And just now ironically, my N505 just started working. I've not turned it on for a few weeks and now it seems to be booting games again! how odd :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.