Defense War of the Spells (Official Thread)

Cloud_FF

Reaction score
"War of the Spells: Ruiner's Siege" is a hero defence map unlike any other. It requires a lot of teamwork and you must also rely on your allies. The heroes defend many points in attempt to protect the Library where all non shadow spell knowledge is held. If a defended point falls to the attackers, the enemy forces become stronger and turn to a new point, thus making it harder for your allies. Also the map and its version create a story, unfold the history of a distant world.
20b0ajt.jpg

(Map version: 1.1 Live)

The map also has items, item combinations, very carefully designed custom terrain and has been under development for more than 7 months, during which I've tested and balanced the spells and abilities. Many initial abilities didn't make it trough but new and better ones came. Also the map has Item Drops, from all mobs, and uses a Gold/Sun-Kissed Sapphires as trading items for buying and selling.

All attackers follow the curves of the roads and will press on until all Spell Centres are destroyed. After that they attack the Library with more strength and abilities than before. The map CAN NOT be soloed and need 10 players to finish. You win after 60 minutes, and loose if the Library is destroyed. In addition if you Spell Centre is destroyed stronger attackers will come and target a new Spell Centres, and you will LOOSE your spell trainer.

The map presents a story line. In patches (or versions) the story will be showed, explained and understood. At the end you will have to deal with the Ruiner himself. Untill then two new Spell Types are going to be presented: Conjuring and Manipulation! Also soon there will be Jem Vendors and personal inventory.

The map also has unique jewellery which imbues the heroes with very powerful abilities, which do not interact with the heroes' other (standard) abilities.

Single Player Mode:
I've given a thought on how to do a single player mode. Well firstly it won't be exactly the same. Each of the 9 (with Conjuring and Manipulation) spell centres will be a separate map on a campaign. Each area would be attacked by the same mobs, and be defended by the same heroes. The whole idea is that you defend each spell centre for 1 hour (this gives a lot of time to finish the campaign and acquire items for the protection of the Library) and after the 1 hour you go on the next spell centre. When you reach the last map (the Library) you choose which hero you want to be the only survivor from the campaign and you get to defend with him for 1 hour. After that hour you'll have the Ruiner to deal with. All drops will be the same or decreased since they have been made in thought that since it is a % chance for something to drop, some spell centres might get more drops of something rather than others and that heroes would trade in-game on the multi player mode...this will be encouraged in game as soon as I get the game messaging to work. I've only thrown some basic ideas now because there is a long time before I get to that point :)

Now here is some Spell Type information. Any changes will be reflected here and will also receive a little note in brackets pointing when it has been changed. After version 0.4 replaced spells won't be removed from the list, but rather crossed out. Also the Conjuring and Manipulation spell types are not going to be in version 1.0; Conjuring will be in 2.0 and Manipulation will be in 3.0 (if the map reaches this level, and it can if it becomes popular). This is due to the fact that the map version will represent a storyline.

AIR
Agility
The Air Spell Type revolves around using the weather and the power of the winds to increase the attack speed of the hero and her allies.

Hero Spells:
*Lightning Wrath - The heroine discharges a lot of electric power at nearby enemies.
*Storm's Fury - Throws a lightning at a target and it jumps to nearby enemies dealing damage to them.
*Gust of Air - The heroine sends a wave of air at her enemies and blasts them hard.
*Lightning Reflexes - Increases the attack speed and movement speed of the heroine.
*Wind Walk - The heroine walks in the air and becomes invisible. Her next attack does extra damage.

Spell Book Spells:
*Twisting Wind - When the heroine hits a target she slows it's attack speed, movement speed and damage done.
*Thunder Blast - The heroine blasts all nearby enemies with lightning energy.
*Monsoon - Calls a hurricane that shoots down damaging bolts of lightning.
*Lightning Storm - The heroine lets loose lightnings that feed her with the life force of her enemies.
*Wind Wink - Blink.
*Throw Windblades - The heroine shoots a volley of Air Shells that stun and do AoE damage.
*Touch of the Storm - The heroine touches an enemy unit and does a lot of damage to it, slows it and if the unit is summoned, does extra damage to it.
*Wind-Guided Windblades - The heroine's blades do extra damage.
*Thundering Windblades - The heroine's windblades to extra damage and explode with thunder. The spell is more mana demanding.

Pros:
*The heroine can move very fast.
*The heroine can attack fast and with items she can deal excessive amounts of damage.

Cons:
*The heroine has little crowd control.

EARTH
Strenght
The Earthen Spell Type revolves around attacks which do AoE damage and on the strength of the Earthen Units. The spells imbue the hero with armor, skills and protection.

Hero Spells:
*Earth Bind - Binds all unit around a targeted one to the earth and slows them down dramatically.
*Earth Spikes - Summons spikes which erupt from the earth and throw enemies in the air.
*Summon Earth Elemental - Summons an earthen elemental. From Mud Elemental to Crystal Elemental.
*Earth Shock - Slams the ground and dazes all near by enemies.
*Adamant Aura - Increases the armor of the hero and his nearby allies.

Spell Book Spells:
*Falling Skies - The hero attracts meteors from the space and makes them fall on the heads of his enemies.
*Earthen Dexterity - Increases the damage done by nearby allies.
*Blessing of the Rock - Increases the target's armor and damage done.
*Earthquake - Makes an earthquake which slows and dazes enemies.
*Stone Strength - The hero can hit critically.
*Muddy Earth (Applies to the summons too) - Makes the ground under the feet of an enemy muddy and slows them down.
*Rock Volley - Periodically shoots rocks at nearby enemies.
*Rockslide - The hero forces rocks to start sliding and as they do so they crash into enemies crushing them.

Pros:
*The hero has heavy armor protection and can stand on melee attacks.
*The hero has AoE and summons.

Cons:
*The Earthen Spell Centre is very vulnerable and hard to protect.

FIRE
Intellect
The fire spells revolves around the slow aftermath of the fire and on the molten furies in the planet.

Hero Spells:
*Volcanic Burst - Deals AoE fire damage to nearby enemies and dazes them.
*Soul Burn - Ignites the soul of an enemy and slowly kills it.
*Flaming Arrow - The arrows that hero uses spawn Magma Elements if the unit dies from them.
*Phoenix - Summons 3 phoenixes.
*Summon Magma Elemental - Summons magma elemental of different ranks. Rank 10 is a permanent elemental and has special abilities: It can blast eneimes, breath fire out and Incinerate.

Spell Book Spells:
*Decimate - The hero blasts all nearby enemies with fire, which also damages them over time.
*Phoenix Fire - The hero summons the might of the phoenix's fire and rains it over his enemies. The heat stuns.
*Mind Sear - Sears the minds of the hero's enemies and silences them.
*Incinerate - Heals a friendly fiery unit or damages an enemy non-fiery unit, some summons have this ability too.
*Blazing Armor - Summons a fiery armor which damages nearby enemies.
*Fire Breath Potion - Breaths out fire.
*Flame Strike - Summons a pillar of fire under the hero's enemies.
*Rain of Fire - Calls upon the might of the sun and rains molten meteors over an area.

Pros:
*The hero has many summons.
*All summons do AoE on death.

Cons:
*The hero has little melee protection.
*The hero can't hold on melee atacks.

FROST
Intellect
The heroine uses the might of the winter for her advantage.

Hero Spells:
*Ice Chains - Freezes a target solid.
*Volatile Snow - The heroine summons snow that explodes violently under it's enemies.
*Frost Nova - The heroine freezes nearby enemies.
*Piercing Precision - The heroine can hit critically.
*Winter's Spirit - The heroine summons the spirit of the Winter. The spirit can attack up to 12 units at a time and upon death explodes doing violent frost damage.

Spell Book Spells:
*Creeping Frost - Increases the attack speed and movement speed of the heroine and her allies.
*Chilling Touch - Has a chance to freeze the heroine's enemies on hit.
*Summon Frozen Elemental - Summons a very strong elemental. It can do "Frost Breath, Frost Armor and Shatter (breaks itself and 4 small minions appear on the elemental place).
*Frost Armor - Surround the unit with chilling armor which gives protection and slows the melee attacks against it.
*Blizzard - Calls upon the winter and throws volleys of snow over an area.
*Biting Winds - The unit's attacks slow it's enemies.
*Frozen Swiftness - Further increases the attack speed of the hero.
*Glacial Image - Creates glacial copies of the hero.

Pros:
*The heroine has the best AoE and CC in game.
* Summons powerful entities.

Cons:
*The weakest unit against melee attacks.

LIFE
Intellect
The hero uses the power of life to defend his enemies. Most of his learned abilities increase the potential of his plants, he becomes a greater herbalist.

Hero Spells:
*Natural Restoration - The hero grants a target the ability to restore life and mana over time for 12 seconds.
*Grow: Parasitic Plant - The hero grows a plant that infests the corpses of dead enemies and parasites spawn from them.
*Grow: Poison Ivy - The hero grows a poison ivy bush that can lash enemies and poison them, slowing their speed.
*Grow: Floral Being - Summons different life elemental. They have abilities such as Poisoning Attacks, Parasite Infestation, Entangling Roots.
*Hibernation - Puts all nearby enemies in hibernation.

Spell Book Spells:
*Grow: Vicious Cactus - Grows a vicious cactus which stuns it's enemies.
*Grow: Nightmare Vine - Grows a deadly vine which has slowing attacks and grants regeneration.
*Grow: Angry Tree - Grows an angry tree that does siege damage.
*Grow: Venolia - Grows a flower-like pant which can entangle enemies and does poison attacks.
*Grow: Dark Venolia - Grows a flower-like plant which can entangle enemies, do poison attacks and infest it's enemies with parasites.
*Grow: Devouring Weed - Grows a weed that can taunt and devour the flesh of its enemies.
*Grow: Entangling Vines - Grows entangling vines which grab all enemies nearby and grabs their hands, rendering them helpless. When the vine dies all it's enemies are released.
*Poisoning Hits - The hero can do poisonous attacks.

Pros:
*This hero has the most available summoned units.
*The hero has greater life regeneration.
*The hero has CC.

Cons:
*The hero can't stand on melee attacks.

LIGHT
Intellect
Light uses illusions mainly to fight. This involves affecting it's enemies.

Hero Spells:
*Holy Light - The hero heals a target.
*Illumination Aura - Increases mana regeneration for the hero and her allies.
*Master of Illusions - The heroine makes illusions of herself to confuse her enemies.
*River of light - Summons a stream of light that flows trough enemies and damages them.
*Summon Illusions - Summons illusionary beings that are immune to every attack type except Shadow (Chaos)

Spell Book Spells:
*Light Sundering - The heroine creates an illusionary field over an area which does percentage damage to enemies.
*The Light Within - The heroine finds the light within an enemies and it burns it's soul.
*Chains of Light - The heroine and some of her minions create illusionary chains of light which slow their enemies.
*Brilliant Arrows - Imbues the arrows of the heroine with light magic and if a unit dies from the arrows a Brilliant Being is summoned.
*Serenity - The heroine surrounds herself with light that protects her from all damage and harm.
*Blinding Flash - Blinds all nearby enemies with a bright flash.
*Shifting Sight - The heroine makes a permanent aura around herself that makes her look out of focus and enemies can miss her. Also she can deal critical damage.
*Misshaping Illusion - The heroine and some of her minions create an illusion around an enemy unit which makes it look like and makes it believe that it is a critter.

Pros:
*The heroine can heal herself and has increased mana regeneration.
*Has CC and summons.

Cons:
*Has little AoE.
*Can't stand on melee damage.

WATER
Agility
The hero uses the might of the seas to his aid.

Hero Spells:
*Sea Storm - Summons a storm that feeds the hero with the life of his enemies.
*Jumping Water - The hero throws water against an enemy and it jumps to another dealing damage.
*Water Fury - The hero picks up the water inside his enemies and starts throwing it out.
*Summon Oceanic Spirits - The hero summons the spirits of the oceans.
*Shell Armor - The hero gains shell armor aura which all allies and the hero can use.

Spell Book Spells:
*Sea's Rage - The hero agitates water and shoot lightings towards his enemies.
*Drawn - Drawns a target.
*Crushing Weave - The hero and the oceanic spirits can summon a violent wave that crushes its targets.
*Water Shield - The hero surrounds himself with a water shield which uses mana instead of life.
*Water Mastery - The hero bestows his allies with increased attack and movement speed when this spell is activated.
*Summon Leviathan - The hero summons an ancient leviathan with its tentacles. It has a lot of life, it can steal life and taunt.
*Watery Elusiveness - The hero is harder to hit and enemies can miss their attacks.
*Ritual of the Vatrils - The hero summons nagas by using the remains of his enemies.
*Water Cascade - The hero shoots water at nearby enemies which makes them bleed for a while.

Pros:
*Summons powerful allies.
*Can do AoE.

Cons:
*No CC.
*Can't stand on Melee attacks.

CONJURING (Version 2.0):
Agility
The hero materialises stuff in his aid.

Hero Spells:
Version 2.0

Spell Book Spells:
Version 2.0

Pros:
*Can stand on melee fights.
*Can heal.

Cons:
*Can loose mana fast.
*???

P.S. I'd like feedback. Any feedback :) If you can't send a message to me write at [email protected]

Versions:
All links are removed as they are trivial and outdated.

The information in this thread is constantly being updated trough its entire length.

Furberg

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
havent you posted this before? sorry if you said it in the post, im too busy to read it t_t

Cloud_FF

Reaction score
Yea I have(posted), yes you are(sleepy) and no I won't repost this again :p

When you are feeling less sleepy go trough this and see why this is again here. :p:thup:

Furberg

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yea I have(posted), yes you are(sleepy) and no I won't repost this again :p

When you are feeling less sleepy go trough this and see why this is again here. :p:thup:

yes sir! but anyways, the screenshots looks cool and you got some sweet ideas. good luck with the map :thup:

Cloud_FF

Reaction score
Mmm thanks :p Feel free to test it. It works, it basically need some tweaking before it become official.

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
Wow! Just looked at the screenshot and I must say the terrain looks totally AWSOME! Well done.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I gave it a try in single player to see what it was like. It looks like a lot of work has been put into this map. Very nice terrain, cool heroes and an insane amount of custom spells. Something that felt like way too many.

In the beginning of the game I had an information overflow. So many spells to choose from. The next second the enemy started hammering on my door. Well, I just picked some spells, threw them at the enemy and hoped for the best.
When I got better time I read through the spells. It was still hard to figure out which spells were good for what though. That's because I never had the time to test out the spells to get a feel for how they worked by themselves.

What I suggest is to make some spells low level spells which you can buy in the beginning. 1-2 is enough. The other spells could become available to you as you gain more spells, and/or as your hero levels up. They could unfold in a treelike pattern, much like the spells in Diablo 2 was unfolded.
It's just an example of course. The main idea is that you shouldn't have to read up to about 20 tooltips while the enemy is hitting you, before you are ready to fight them.

Another suggestion I have is to make the game only spawn attacking waves against the bases that were playing when the game started. I know it's not meant to be played single player, but it doesn't hurt to have the option to play small games with like 1-4 players too, does it?

By the way, is it a conscious decision to keep the map RoC?

Cloud_FF

Reaction score
Woot feedback!

Well erm...It shows RoC because it's protected. It's TFT actually.

Firstly, I have the same feedback from my friends about the spells. The thing is that this will need some testing and need to put logic in it...some spells have such a pattern but not all. Yea I suppose I should add a timer before spawnings come.

Secondly, it will be version 2 if I introduce a map playable by less players since I am not familiar with how to do it. After all the buffs that come have to be special and different.

Also about the spells, almost all are offensive. After a game or two my friends learned all the spells of a spell type, so in general it's not a big issue though I will find a way to solve it though the to-do-list is very long and there are some unwanted side effects currently on them map. I will take this in consideration and soon, after my exams, I will have time to make a big leap on the map.

Perhaps I will make a time pause before attacks begin so that players would have say 2 mins to learn their spells, what they do that is. I was also thinking that I should add a level-skip requirement on them.

Well there's a lot to be done yet. I need to finish the secondary areas, need to finish testing Conjuring for version 2 (after 1 is done, soon I hope), I need to improve the drops and so on. Currently there seem to be some unclear tooltips regarding item combinations too. I need to finish tinkering the primary attributes though I am nearly done with that.

Thanks for the feedback though. For now the map will remain a 10 player map and this may change in the future. I'll add the link to 0.30 when I finish it, this weekend I hope.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Ok, finally downloaded it. I'll give it a try when I have time (meaning when I'm doing nothing, which is pretty often :p)

Cloud_FF

Reaction score
Version 0.3 beta is ready. This version introduces the minefields which were on the to-do list and equals the number of spells and upgrades for all spell types. Frost has 7 spells due to the fact that the summoned units are powerful. Earth and Water have 9 spells. The extra one shoots at random units dealing medium damage. This is made because those heroes are melee heroes. All the other heroes have 8 spells in their spell books.

WARNING: The Air heroine doesn't work as intended and the [Power-Infused Rune] doesn't work as intended.

Enjoy :) :thup:

Parsimony

Reaction score
Knowing the fact that this is actually a unique Hero Defense with excellent terrain and a storyline(an extreme rarity), i don't think that this thread should die just yet. I'ma try the new version now, so expect some feedback. :thup:

Edit: Damnit. Sorry, i had to reformat the PC due to the irresponsible internet browsing of a certain family member, if you know what I mean. Won't be able to try it out just yet, still have to install my WC3 and Frozen Throne.

Cloud_FF

Reaction score
Don't be in a rush. I'm almost done with 0.4 and I'll post it. It has some MAJOR terrain and story improvements. Just to clue in...the water colour is remade to fit a nightly scenario and a fog has been added which fits perfectly with all the mini-environments. I've added personal stashes for all heroes and I'm working on a system which would allow less than 10 people to be able to play and another system which would limit the number of heroes per type in-game. :thup:

0.4 should be done by Monday :)

P.S. The story is currently 180 World pages long, and is barely unfolding ;)

Parsimony

Reaction score
P.S. The story is currently 180 World pages long, and is barely unfolding

Jebus... :eek:

My Warcrapped is fully installed now, i'm gonna try it out. Now, if only i can get this damn ITunes to work...

Cloud_FF

Reaction score
0.4 Is finally here...though the Water Attackers (The Prawns) are disabled due to an unknown yet bug. I'll probably fix it this week, if I have time.

Enjoy :)

Cloud_FF

Reaction score
0.5 is up. I fixed the pathing error and made some new additions to the game as all. 0.6 should be the last version before 1.0 comes. I just need to figure out why I can't display messages in game.

Cloud_FF

Reaction score
It can but you can't win. I'll work on a single player mode later...as in post 3.0

Edit: I've given a thought on how to do a single player mode. Well firstly it won't be exactly the same. Each of the 9 (with Conjuring and Manipulation) spell centres will be a separate map on a campaign. Each area would be attacked by the same mobs, and be defended by the same heroes. The whole idea is that you defend each spell centre for 1 hour (this gives a lot of time to finish the campaign and acquire items for the protection of the Library) and after the 1 hour you go on the next spell centre. When you reach the last map (the Library) you choose which hero you want to be the only survivor from the campaign and you get to defend with him for 1 hour. After that hour you'll have the Ruiner to deal with. All drops will be the same or decreased since they have been made in thought that since it is a % chance for something to drop, some spell centres might get more drops of something rather than others and that heroes would trade in-game on the multi player mode...this will be encouraged in game as soon as I get the game messaging to work. I've only thrown some basic ideas now because there is a long time before I get to that point :)

P.S. I'll add this to the thread top.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.