WarCraft 2 BNE play on Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anthropos

Hello folks,

I have a problem with my version of WarCraft 2 BNE.
After I installed it properly and tried to start it, I received an error message that a needed file can’t be read from the CD.
Also the Map editor has an illegal path and can’t be run.
The game works so far, till I try to start it, in compatibility mode Win 95. I mean, I can install it and then that was it.

I use as my operating system Windows XP with all the new updates like my other drivers should be.

I hope someone could help me with this problem; I really want to play the good old WC2 at my PC.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Please post the exact error messages you are getting. We need that information to help you further. Thanks.

A

Anthropos

Well, but I must admit that I use the german version of the game and hence I have to translate the error massage and thus it can differ from the original one.

I had to enable the compatibility mode Win 95 in order to install it, so far so good. :shades:

Now, if I try to start the game, I get this message immediately:

“Fire error
Warcraft II Battle Net Edition is unable to read a needed file.
Probably, your Warcraft CD is not in the CD Drive. Make yourself sure that the CD is in the CD Drive and click on ok.

In order to leave the program, you have to click on close.”
:confused:

If I start the Warcraft II Battle Net Edition Map Editor I receive the following message:

“C:\Programs\Warcraft II BNE\Maps\II BNE\Warcraft II BNE Map Editor.exe has an illegal path.”

I realized that the program hasn’t such a path, there isn’t a folder with name “II BNE” and after I made it on my own and copied the editor.exe from the game root folder in the new created folder, the message changed in:

“[…] II BNE\Warcraft II BNE Map Editor.exe can’t be found.” :confused:

This is all the program tells me.

As my CD Drives I use Toshiba DVD-Rom SD-M1612 and Plextor CD-R PX-W2410A. Neither Drive can solve the problem, it still exists.

My thanks for further help!

A

Anthropos

Hello folks,

I have found the solution for this problem by myself :p .

If such a problem occurs during install or when the game starts, it’s probably for the reason that the compatibility mode is not correct enabled. I have set it to NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5) and now it works.
If you do not set the correct compatibility mode, it might be that you receive the messages I have. But I think personally, it also may well be that you do not have to change something.
Who knows exactly? I do not. :D

Well, thanks anyway!

kevin

Reaction score
Hi, i dont understand why, when i play on multiplayer mode, I can`t play with more than 2 persons. I only can do 1v1 games, i cant play full game. This is the only game i cant play 4v4, with others games i can play 16 vs 16 without any problem.
Why when i play 4v4 in multiplayer mode, it lags as fuck and is`t impossible to play. I want to play that old game again, if u can help me, it would be really nice
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.