Warcraft 3 Problem: Cannot join friend's game and vice versa on Battle.net

G

This problem has plagued me for quite a few days. We've already tried the addition of the suggested ports, the disabling of ZoneAlarm and the frame type setup (as was suggested by Blizzard techs). Nothing works. We're both on a LAN, shared DSL connection, have 2 IP addresses and 2 original CD's. The strange thing is that I re-installed Diablo II as an experiment, as did my friend, and we can both join each others games there on Battle.net. But... just not in Warcraft 3. We can both join OTHER peoples' games though, just not each others. It's all really strange, and that's not an option at the moment because we don't want to play the game with others at this point. Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated on this. Thanks in advance.

S

Swilo

You each have your own internal IP (assigned by the router, like 192.168.0.x) or your own external IP (assigned by the ISP, like 151.148.x.x)? If it's internal then there probably isn't anything you can do to play together other than start up a LAN game, because this problem has been around since Starcraft.

G

Thanks for the response Swilo. I have a HUB so I'm not sure if the IP addresses are assigned internally or externally (there's no 0 in the third slot though, so it's looking like an external IP from your examples). But as I mentioned Diablo II worked, just not Warcraft 3. And as for the LAN option, that doesn't work either and I've been trying to figure out why. The 2 PC's can't see each other, so that's why we've been trying to get on Battle.net. It may have something to do with my friend's upgrade to a Win XP machine, while I still have a Win 98 SE PC. Darned networking problems... I have 3 PC's total set up on the LAN. Gaming 1 PC (Win 98) is mine and can see Storage 1 PC (Win 98) but cannot see Gaming 2 PC (Win XP). But Gaming 2 PC can see Storage 1 PC and not my Gaming 1 PC. Grrrr... If you have any further suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

G

Hi Helper. Yeah, it's still a problem. I just gave up. I haven't played much lately but I do I play the odd custom game by myself. *Shrug* That's about it.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You should register on the forum because when you are unregistered I have to click on other links to read your posts. I have noticed this makes it difficult to help people. I believe the admins are working to fix this bug but until then I urge you to register and we can try to work this problem out.

Both computers have unique IPs for TCP/IP? I just got the game so I am about to install and play it. I should know alot more about what I am talking about then.

G

i thought i might have the same problem because in starcraft i had the same problem......
however, i am in a lan, sharing internet with dsl...
and i don't have any problem connecting and playing w3 in internet.....
the only thing i can't do is to create games.....
i got win2k, and the other computer(sharing inet) win xp

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
Make sure all your computer's network settings are as follows.

Start Menu, Control Panel. Switch to Classic View under the Windows XP computer to avoid confusion.

Windows 2000/XP Settings

Go in System, Computer Name and click on "Change".

Write any computer name you desire. This will be the name other computers see it as.

Select Workgroup under "Member Of" and write any name you want. However, this name must be exactly the same on each computer. Click OK and reboot.

Windows 98/SE Settings

Do the same thing on Windows 98. These settings can be found under Start Menu, Settings, Control Panel, Network, Identification.

Internal IPs

Have you set up the internal IPs on your network ?

Windows 2000/XP Settings

Start Menu, Control Panel, Network Connections. Right-Click on your Network Adapter. (Local Area Connection)

Click on TCP/IP and then Properties.

Under "Use the following IP address", enter

IP Address 192.168.0.X
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

X should be 1 on one computer, 2 on another, etc.

Windows 98 SE Settings

I can't remember where to set this up under 98. I'm sure you can find it quickly. If not, someone will fill you in.

Does your ISP supply multiple IPs for one connection? Are you using connection sharing software such as Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing ? If your ISP supplies multiple IPs, do not enable any software of the sort.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.