Warcraft Chess!

tbjl2006

Reaction score
I have decided to make a Warcraft chess game because I've always loved chess. Anyways in my chess you can play as Humans, Orc, Undead, or Night Elf. Newer versions will contain more races.

The story goes like this....

After years and years of conflicts between the four Races, a solution has been found. A giant chess board has been erected in the shattered lands of the east. The four races will compete in a tournament to decide who will be the ruler of the eastern lands of Azeroth and Lorderon. It all comes down to a simple game....

Now if anyone is interested I could use help triggering the movement and death when a piece is taken. I'll post screenies after.

Screenahots:

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Will you use Black and white marble for the Chessboard?

And a small question isnt it Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdom and Azeroth is the World? Isnt Lordaeron just a "Country" in Eastern Kingdom?

tbjl2006

Reaction score
It will be blue and red for origanality and i always thought that Azaroth and Lorderon and Quel thals made up the Eastern Kingdoms

K

Kevin

My suggestion with the chess board is obviously you're gonna have to have 1 region per each square (64 regions unless I miscounted).

But what you will need to do is create a specific comparative array for each type of piece.

Each time a piece is issued an order to move to a space, the array would have to compare the origin point of the piece to the destination point, matching it up with the formulae.

You will also need someone who's good with scripting, to provide a "check" script for both King and Queen. When a King is placed into check, it would announce a warning. The King Script would also have to prevent the player from putting his/her king into check. The Queen wouldn't.

You'll also need a clock/turn set of triggers (which is easy enough to make).

Now, is this going to be like battle chess? Where the pieces just each have 1 HP and they do a little cinematic where one kills another? Or is this going to be like Mortal Kombat chess, where you actually have a chance to battle it out and "survive" an opponent's attack?

Edit: btw Mythic Fr0st is like super cool with jass and arrays cause he's like the god of Arrays, ya know. lol ^_^

tbjl2006

Reaction score
Damn you know a lot about that. Would you like to help with the project? also I will probably make a battle chess version and a Mortal Combat chess version.

T

the genius10

i like chess too and im very good at it..i bet i can beat u :d

Surferkid993

God surferkid993 = new God(awesome.me);
Reaction score
Hey I hate to be the barrer of bad news, but there is already a chess game out and in my opinion it is amasing. I'm not telling you to stop, but you can take some ideas from it. There is a great options menu brought up by pressing esc. I'll attach the file for you to dl. It is not WC3 charaters, which might be a unique thing that yours can have.

+Rep for the effort and idea in any case.

I hope you stick with it and make a great chess game.

Attachments

• (12)PepparsMultiplayerChess-1.02.w3x
    723.6 KB · Views: 198

tbjl2006

Reaction score
Well I hope mine can be as good. Thx for the map it might help with my own unique movement triggers.

Surferkid993

God surferkid993 = new God(awesome.me);
Reaction score
No problem. I may be able to help with some things but I have my hands full with my own map. How colse are you to being done. Is it just the terrain or do you have triggers in place too?

BlueSin

Reaction score
TO be honest, I don't think you should attempt this.

Peppar's Chess:

-Has PERFECT Coding (It's efficiently done in Jass, and doesn't involve a region for each square, as Kevin so wrongly suggested.)
-It perfectly emulates chess.
-Is very interactive, with several game types menus, and many extra features such as changing camera, and setting piece color.
-Is very eye-candy, with perfect models, from a very nice chessboard, to flashing tile indicators, to a very nice model for every piece.

I know it sounds rude, but don't do it if you haven't already began coding the piece configurations, I think (assumption) it is out of your league. Peppar was good at Jass and coding in general.

The only way anyone could ever wish to improve Peppar's is by making it so that more than one board can be played on at once.

EDIT:

I just saw that the only thing you've done was make teams and set down some of the terrain, which is good for you. Quit while you're ahead. Once again, Peppar's is flawless.

Cal1991

Reaction score
I have decided to make a Warcraft chess game because I've always loved chess. Anyways in my chess you can play as Humans, Orc, Undead, or Night Elf. Newer versions will contain more races.

The story goes like this....

After years and years of conflicts between the four Races, a solution has been found. A giant chess board has been erected in the shattered lands of the east. The four races will compete in a tournament to decide who will be the ruler of the eastern lands of Azeroth and Lorderon. It all comes down to a simple game....

Now if anyone is interested I could use help triggering the movement and death when a piece is taken. I'll post screenies after.

Screenahots:

I tried to make a chess map once, very similar to yours.

My advice is, unless you are REALLY good with triggers, pick something else to do.

K

Kevin

TO be honest, I don't think you should attempt this.

Peppar's Chess:

-Has PERFECT Coding (It's efficiently done in Jass, and doesn't involve a region for each square, as Kevin so wrongly suggested.)

lol what is so wrong about having a region for each square?

Having a region for each square insures the movement math always leads to the center of the square.

Sure there are other ways to do it, but I get sick and tired of seeing people with poor calculator skills allow their characters to get so far off track they wind up in the wrong area.

I just saw that the only thing you've done was make teams and set down some of the terrain, which is good for you. Quit while you're ahead. Once again, Peppar's is flawless.

dude you are just rude.

Now peppar's chess is really cool, but for you or anyone else to tell him to stop and not to even try, that's just vulgar.

This website is called www.[b]thehelper[/b].net

NOT www.theBULLY.net

tbjl2006

Reaction score
Hey everybody I've been at my Grams for the last 3 days and I can't play WC there :( I have come to a decicion after reading all of the posts. I am going to put this project on hold. I'm going to get more exp. in triggers then going to make a kick a$$ chess map. Thank you for all you support. If anyone would like to help me learn JASS and GUI. Thx

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Peppars chess is boring, it's normal chess, that's what chess boards are for! If you can make an interesting chess game where you batt- wait a minute there's already one of that too! And it's four player! Haha, just bugging ya (well there is an actual map like that) but keep making it, even if no one plays it you learn a lot about map making. Also with Peppar's two people can keep playing, there's no definate turn taking for playing. Most of the time the first two people just hog it the whole game and everyone is pissed off, so... Make some kind of epic chess rpg (wtf?!) that's new + fresh! Haha, gl with your triggering. I've given up on making maps myself, much too impatient. I'm back to only helping people :p

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
You still doing this? whether or not, here's something I figured out while I was trying this myself a while back.

For the movement of the units, mostly all you need to do is make each of the units actually a structure. Then, have the game pause all the units on the side that isn't moving. Then a player can make a move selecing a unit and right clicking, which places a rally point. Have your trigger detect which unit is moving, and then have the trigger find out if that is a legal move for the unit.

Do do that, have a bunch of nested if-then-elses, each checking if it is a specific unit. You should peobably have pawns at the top, as they are moved the most often, and down to kings last, as they are moved the least, but it doesn't matter too much.

To actually detect a legal move, have the trigger compare the point of the unit with the point selected. For example, for a pawn, check if the point selected is within a 128x128 (the size of one terrain square, might be more or less) region placed 128 units above (or below for the second player) the unit. If it is, move the unit 128 units up (or down). If it isn't, check the two diagonal squares, and see if there is an enemy piece there, and move it there and remove the piece. You should also have 4 regions bordering the chessboard, which you check to make sure that they are not trying to move their piece there.

The same thing would be done for all the other pieces. For the king, you would have to find a way to check for if there are any units threatening where it is, or where it will be. This would probably be done in a similar way, except you would be seeing if any units could move onto the square where the king is, instead of where they could move from their squares. Just cycle through each of the units, and check each of the squares that type could move onto the current square from, and see if there is a unit of that type there. If the king is put in check, then have the game check each of the 8 surrounding squares (unless it is outside the board) and then if those are all threatened as well, the king's player looses.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.