Warcraft III models

bess

Reaction score
Will starcraft 2 features some warcraft models, is there any way to import wc3 to sc2 or we'll we have to model them ?

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
I highly doubt Blizzard would include wc3 models in starcraft2. However, if they still use the mdl/mdx format, it may not be too difficult to import the models into sc2 with or without some modification. If not, you can expect there to be third party software that will convert the format, you can almost be certain of that. However, the only issue with putting a wc3 model in starcraft2, is the difference of polygons, and qualities. The animation sequences are probably a bit different as well. A wc3 model may look a bit awkward in starcraft2, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it. People took WoW models, and modified them for Wc3. There will always be people who will make mods for map making, it has been the case with wc3 and without doubt will be the same case for sc2.

overload119

Reaction score
No.

StarCraft II uses .M3
Each model uses like 3 .dds texture files. (around 3, specular, diffuse, and normal).

There will be StarTools which can convert from 3ds max to the format that SC2 uses. I imagine a lot of WC3 models can be converted this way, but new textures have to made for them.

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
Hm, interesting. Still, there will be third party software that converts this stuff. Though, it would be important to improve quality of the models to avoid it looking like Super-Mario Bros sprites in Call of Duty.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Its not being done. Blizzard wrote that they won't convert wc3 models to sc2. You might have read it wrong or the person who wrote it read it wrong. Its the same reason why WOW models can't be converted to wc3 without special programs made by hackers.

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
Which is pretty much what I said. I can almost guarantee modders, ( i wouldn't use the word hackers :p ) will make wc3 models for starcraft.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.