Warhammer Online - First Impressions

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
Warhammer Online
First Impressions

So just over a week ago I got my invite to Beta. I was excited until I had to download the 9.3GB then 800MB's of patches. But hey with that all out of the way, I finally got to playing about 4 days after the e-mail.

I will not go into huge amounts of detail, but sort of just give a general overview of everything I experienced.

My First Character:

Warhammer Online (WAR) is separated into two factions Order ("good") and Destruction ("evil"). I chose to go a Greenskin, Black Orc, which is pretty much your a Orc Warrior. Unlike other MMO's, each faction has unique classes which are not available to the other faction. That is, each of the 6 races has 3-4 classes associated with it, and you can only be that class by going that race. So unlike WoW, you dont choose your Race and then the same classes each other race is, whatever race you chose has its own classes.

Anyway, as mentioned I chose to go Destruction, Greeskins, Black Orc.

Also a note, instead of "levels" your character has "ranks". The top rank/level is 40. It is essentially the same thing, just a different name.

Starting Out - The Basics:

Graphics:

Jumping in the first thing you notice is, of course the UI and Graphics. My computer isn't all that good (for reference I run WoW at medium settings at like 40-60fps), but for the graphical quality, the game looks pretty good and ran fairly well hanging around 30fps most of the time. Unfortunately whenever a effect was placed on me (like a spell of some sort) my fps (frames per second) dropped significantly, into low single figures. Effects on enemies were okay, but when someone healed me or something of the like, I dropped. Fortunately this didnt occur all to often. The only other time I noticed significant drops was when there was a large group of players beating on a single target.

User Interface (UI):

The UI is similar to that of WoW's so it was relatively easy to grasp. Unfortunately, there isn't a latency/ping bar yet (or I haven't discovered it). I am fairly certain it has not been implemented yet because other players were asking, and I asked other players.

The action bars have a scrolling/page feature so you can flick between multiple bars, and you can also adjust how many bars you would like to have appear in one of the options menus (up to 4 on screen at one time).

Above the minimap in the top right hand corner is what is essentially "zone control". Sadly, I cant really go much into it at this time as I haven't really gotten into it (my starting zone was always in Destruction control significantly).

Screenshot:
The starting area for Greenskins and a general overview of the user interface (image at 80% quality of original to keep size down).

WAR1.jpg

Environment:

When you first start playing, one things I noticed straight away was: There's a lot going on around you. Unlike WoW where it is just NPC's doing nothing in particular in the starting zones, in WAR there is the feeling that a real huge War is going on around you (<3). In the Greenskins area at least, there are bowmen and troops everywhere shooting at whatever. It is a bit daunting at first - trying to make your way through everything, but once you make sense of it all it really creates an amazing atmosphere.

Questing:

The game starts out with the basic go and kill them, do this and that sort of quests. So far I haven't found any quest particularly boring which is a plus.

The kill quests are good for the reason that, instead of go kill 20 of these, it's more like go kill 3 of these (like pictured above). Mobs do take a bit longer to kill than they do in WoW though (it may take up to 30 seconds to kill a single starting mob).

Quest tracking has been implemented (pictured above) which is great. Quests are also tracked on your map, but instead of telling you exactly where to go it gives you a "general idea", or "within this radius".

Some quests were unique, the one that most comes to mind was an early one where I had to dig up some mud then throw it at a statue. There were many others like this which I won't list.

Public Quests:

Public Quests are great. They can get old fairly fast (just like repeating any quest would) but they are still quite fun, even after the third or forth attempt. Public Quests are quest where anyone in the near vicinity can participate in, completing one "wave" or "event" of the quest to unlock the next and finally leading to a boss of some sort.

Once the public quest is completed a chest is dropped and a roll is automatically generated, where the top 3 will get some form of loot (I think, I got fourth twice, never got top 3). This is good and bad. Good because it allows everyone an equal shot at the loot but bad because often one person will put in a lot more effort than another and not get rewarded... well sort of.

Sort of? Well, doing public quests creates "influence" with the town associated with that public quest. There are 3 stages to influence, where the higher the level of influence, the greater the reward. Completing the public quest 3-5 times will generally get you to the top rank, and that way, even if you don't win chest loot you still eventually get rewarded through influence. I great concept by Mythic, executed well. Public quests can take anywhere from 5 or so minutes to 30 minutes (and possibly more, I'm not sure yet as I haven't got that far).

Combat and Animation:

Combat is new but old at the same time. Pushing button X will do combat move X. This formula has remained the same. Fortunately there are "tiers" to combat. That is, you must use a lower tier ability first to use a middle tier one, then a middle tier one to unlock a higher tier one and so and so forth. I can't really judge how effective it really is later on, as at this time I only use about 5 abilities or so.

Big combat! Also shows party screen which maxes at 6 people.

WAR2.jpg

Animations are good, but not great. They are smooth but not very... dynamic. This was probably just from playing a big hulky orc most of the time (although I did try other classes/races) but nothing really jumped out at me as being great. The "dance" animation (called /special) was pretty boring and average, for the Black Orc at least. Dispite this, there really isn't anything to complain about, there just isn't anything to rave about either.

Although the Black Orc's battle cry sounds amazing! They really do sound ferocious and ready for battle, and it was fun to "spam" after a wave of public questing...

Scenario's:

Scenario's are essentially "battlegrounds" from WoW. I have only participated in one so far (the one in my area from Rank 1-10ish) and it was quite fun. Unfortunately if you're a low rank you generally get steamrolled by higher rank players but that's what you get for joining as a lowbie I suppose.

Titles under your name are obtained through scenario's. The more you participate in scenario's the higher your rank will go.

Scenario's are available from the second you start the game which is great. It really gives you the feel that WAR is a PvP game, which is something I love.

----

That is all for now! I have been EXTREMELY busy lately with school and I have only played War for one night, but that is my summary of it.

I will add more as I continue to play it.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Woah, great review. I am glad seeing someone positive in the start of the game. I heard a lot people quitting because the first levels sucked and so on, I also heard the game just become better as you level up, bigger battles, sieges and so on. Can't wait for the release, I am so hyped.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
I agree with Cornface, very nice review :) Seems like there is alot of cool features, especially since you're only beginning, in particular
there is the feeling that a real huge War is going on around you
and
each faction has unique classes which are not available to the other faction
The thought of a massive war going on around you is really awesome-sounding, and faction-specific classes sounds interesting :)

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, must read through the whole of it sometime soon :) Must keep an eye on this for further developments (even though 800Mb of patches is a scary thought, especially for my connection :p)

There's a small typo here, you forgot the [ on
Quest tracking is implemented/B]

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
Woah, great review. I am glad seeing someone positive in the start of the game. I heard a lot people quitting because the first levels sucked and so on, I also heard the game just become better as you level up, bigger battles, sieges and so on. Can't wait for the release, I am so hyped.

Yeah it seems really great for a beta so far. Launch should be fairly smooth I would guess.

I won't be buying it till near the end of the year though, or at all because of commitments.

And thanks for pointing out the typo.

If you have any questions, ask away - I'll try my best to answer them.

Demi666

Reaction score
Husky, your breaking the NDA(non-disclosure agreement) you signed when you got into beta. The NDA means you are not allowed to discuss any aspect of the beta anywhere. Also, any site hosting content that breaks the NDA may be forced to shut down either by contacting owner or host.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, any site hosting content that breaks the NDA may be forced to shut down either by contacting owner or host.

No, not shut down. Remove Copyrighted Content. It has to be the owner of the copyright stuff and the stuff hosted has to break the copyright. NDA is an agreement between a person and a company and has no binding on this site as we entered into no such NDA. We would remove any images or videos though if they were copyrighted.

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
You really think that breaking a measly NDA agreement will threaten this site?

People break laws all the time. Most of them are never found.

This is not going to do anything or threaten anyone.

Nobody is breaking any laws. Someone might have broken an NDA but that is a contract between that person and the other entity. It is not a law. Get your stuff straight people.

I am sorry Hero I have no idea why this post got edited instead of it being a reply. I ended up cutting out half your message. Anyway, we are not going to remove it but Husky can if he feels like it and the owner can email and request us to delete the thread and we might but that is where it ends.

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
Husky, your breaking the NDA(non-disclosure agreement) you signed when you got into beta. The NDA means you are not allowed to discuss any aspect of the beta anywhere. Also, any site hosting content that breaks the NDA may be forced to shut down either by contacting owner or host.

I am aware of this and I'm taking the personal risk. If there was any chance that the site could be shut down by this I wouldn't have posted it.

Trust me this review is the least of there worries about players breaking the NDA, look at sites like betaleaks.com that are dedicated to leaking beta's and are quite popular.

Now let's please jump back on topic :).

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I like WoW's interface, but this one seems to be too much like it. It's good to get ideas from something that's successful, but this interface seems to be pretty much a copy. :p

Do you think maybe the interface is just a temporary one?

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
I like WoW's interface, but this one seems to be too much like it. It's good to get ideas from something that's successful, but this interface seems to be pretty much a copy. :p

Do you think maybe the interface is just a temporary one?

No it is final as far as I know. There are ways to change it around like adding extra bars and stuff as I said (they have art attached to them unlike the extra ones in WoW) but I am fairly certain it will remain how it is, or similar to.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
Will you have to pay monthly (or yearly) to play like WoW, or is it more like guild wars as in once you buy it no more paying for you?

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Warhammer Online: Closed Beta REVEALED

Elder Beta NDA isn't up yet, sorry, thought it was when I saw huskys.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
No. Open Beta starts September 7th. But yeah, this is old, I wrote it about 2 months ago. Was just waiting for NDA to be lifted so I can post it. Unlike Husky, I don't like breaking agreements.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
Well then I'm not buying this...
Hate games that make you pay continuosly
Thats why i shall wait for diablo 3 and Rise of the Argonauts

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I myself has never played DAoC

[SPELL]http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=1358[/SPELL]

:)

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
Merged Oninuva's thread into this one, pointless having two threads of the same thing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.