Warhammer Story, W.I.P. and Rough Draft

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Hey all, I just wanted to post this to see what everyone thinks of this kind of story, as I haven't seen too many futuristic stories on this forum. So, take a look at it and tell me what you think, and if you like it then I'll have a reason to continue working on it!
Note: This is only part of the first chapter. I got impatient and felt like posting it, so sue me. Also, I have not done any revisions as of yet, so grammar, spelling, and consistency errors may and probably do exist.

Lowering himself down onto one knee, Addym took in a deep breath to help calm his rattled nerves. His finger hesitated, dancing on the trigger of his heavy bolter as the alien tides pushed ever forward, teeth and claws gnashing and slashing at anything in their wake. Above, mycetic spores rained from the heavens, corrupting the ground and any biomaterial that they came in contact with and splitting open to reveal groups of alien creatures. The din of battle was already deafening, the screams of the Tyranid mingling with the battle cries and gunfire of the Imperium, and he’d yet to fire a shot. Addym glanced to his left where Tibalt stood tall holding his flamethrower, awaiting the massive rush that was sure to come. To his right, the assassin was lowered onto one knee as well, aiming his exitus rifle at the oncoming hordes. Addym turned back to the invading Tyranid himself, forcing thoughts of his recently fallen comrades from his mind; only a quarter of his squad remained, but it would be more than enough for the task at hand.

“Fire,” Addym said as three deep blasts sounded from his side. A fourth and fifth, and then a sixth, were immediately discharged following the initial three, and then Addym opened fire on the foul creatures, himself. Satisfaction welled up inside him as he watched each of his shots hit their targets, the mutagenic acid within the hellfire bolts melting each Tyranid menace that he hit. Tibalt remained standing, braced for the first wave of aliens that met them, while the assassin fired off round after round at the Tyranid Warriors, the aliens’ only threatening ranged support, dropping each with a trained ease.

Within moments, the bulk of the Tyranid assault force had turned its attention unto them, and a mass of writhing creatures began to descend on them from all sides. Addym sprayed hellfire bolts in a wide arc at the creatures, forcing his weapon down against the recoil, and scooted back against the recess in the wall in which they were holding their defense. The Termagants were the first to begin breaking through, firing countless insects from their fleshborers, who were soon followed by groups of vicious Genestealers, their raptor-like forms striding quickly across the open field. The Genestealers brandished their fore-claws high above their heads as they ran, holding their second set of arms low to the ground for balance, and to help them weave efficiently around the gunfire. Each bolt that landed inspired a death cry from its victim as the mutagenic acid ate away at their flesh and dripped off the bone, but it was getting difficult to fend off the mass numbers that were incoming. Addym slowed his fire to let the munitions belt leading into his backpack settle down, as he could an impending jam, and he noticed that even that small letup in his defense gave the creatures the brief moment of respite they needed to begin to overwhelm them.

“Kill the damn things!” the assassin shouted beside him as Addym squeezed the trigger with all his might, praying that his weapon would hold out. The Genestealers began to slow again, but the smaller Tyranid began to swarm past them, and they were too numerous for Addym to even bother aiming at them; within seconds, the ground before them was nothing but a writhing mass of the living and the dead, relentless Ripper Swarms skittering over the corpses of their fallen brethren in an all-consuming effort to kill any non-Tyranid life. A sudden blaze of light and chorus of alien squeals began off to his side, as Tibalt unleashed the inferno built up within his flamer, directing a jet of fire into the enemy hordes. Despite the flames, however, the Tyranid continued their relentless assault, pushing through the dead as they clambered to die before the rest. Addym grimaced as one of the fleshborer beetles pierced his armor, their bile and frenzied clawing finally breaking through the hardened ceramite plates. Ignoring the mild wound, and the now dead beetle resting against his wounded hip, he continued to fire into the mass, aiming upwards now as the aliens were forced to climb the growing mound of each others’ corpses.

“We need to move. I can’t even see the damn warriors,” the assassin stated flatly as he pulled out his exitus pistol and began knocking off some of the incoming creatures. Addym continued firing into the mass but didn’t bother to aim his shots, as their numbers were too great to ever miss, and instead checked to either side in search of the best place to move to. Off to the left, the Tyranid’s numbers were far too vast to move through with such small numbers, although if they were somehow able to break through the lines then they could fall back to the tunnel entrance of the FX-530 compound; to the right, the Tyranid numbers were fewer, but it would leave them wide out in the open, with nothing but a wall to their backs. It would be as sure of a suicide as the other. Weighing his options for but a second, Addym made his decision.

“We’ve got to go left. We’ll be overrun if we move to the right, they’ll be able to hit us from all sides,” Addym explained, aiming more carefully as he spoke in an attempt to save some of his ammo. “There’s far too many for us to make a successful push through to FX’s entrance tunnel, but we’ll be just as dead if we stay here as anywhere else.” His words sounded grim, even by his own ears, but his words were true; there was nothing they could do now but everything at once.

“To die in the service of the Emperor is the greatest glory one could know, but to ravage the heretics and survive in his service is the greatest feat one could accomplish. Do not fear these creatures of instinct; instead, bathe in the light of the Emperor, and know that we have his blessings.” Addym stood, preparing to move out, and raised his voice. “Nothing can stand in our way, for we are the Space Marines!” And with that, Addym stepped from the nook in which they’d mounted their defense and began tearing through the front lines of termagaunts and genestealers.

Tibalt laughed chaotically through the COMM-link as he began walking forward, torching the creatures and forcing them back, as the assassin locked his exitus rifle into place on his back and followed behind them, shooting any of the aliens that made it past the flames. “T, lead us, and assassin, cover our back,” Addym commanded as they began to move, slowly making their way through the mobs. Realizing that their prey was trying to escape, the Tyranid began to attack them with a new ferocity, their bodies falling only feet from Addym. The progress was unbearably slow, and Addym feared that he’d be out of ammunition soon, but he continued spraying his foes with a hail of gunfire.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
SWEET! Finally, someone else who likes WH and WH40K! We should talk some time, :D.

Nice story, interactive with the characters, descriptive, and lively. Make a whole story, if you're not already going to do so.

GO SPACE MARINES! What clan are they? I personally like Emperor's Children, the White Wolves, or the Blood thing, i forgot.

But I like Greenskins the best, when Warhammer Online comes out, that's what I'm gonna be.

Anyway, keep these coming!

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I read this once, and I couldn't find anything to say about it. The story just seemed so plain for whatever reason, and I just couldn't follow you into this futuristic world. I'd like to see this revised though.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya. I kind of feel the same way about it. I really wanted to write something dealing with Warhammer, because they go so in-depth with their universe and have so many awesome and unique creatures and races, societies and cultures and everything you could imagine, and this is just the first one that I tried to start. Thanks for the honesty. It pretty much is a pile of dung, I'll agree with you there. Thanks for wasting your time with it, though. =]

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
It's like this:
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40K/default.htm

and thats Warhammer 40K (40,000), there's also Warhammer, which takes place... 40,000 years before with like the same "races" as you would say in games and stuff. It's a sick board game, strategic type, where you have armies and commanders and stuff, and the cool part is you actually build the models yourself. Like the website, you buy sets of like for example, 20 space marines and you put the pieces together and PAINT them! Isn't that sick!?!

I have a Terran army! WEEEHEHEE!

So fatmankev, when you gonna make next chapter?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.