AoS Warlords and Regiments v0.00 beta

B

bountygiver

3 months of work, which led me to missing Crysis and Hellgate London, Warlords and Regiments v0.00 beta is now finally out.

Download site:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/6527/

4 way AoS, 12 players, 4 computer players, 16 players total :p

Win by any means neccessary.

Features:
-24 All-new, custom heroes, 6 for each team, all with unique custom spells.
-Up to level 40 hero leveling system
-Over 100 items, upgradable items, combinations, secret combinations etc. etc.
-Large map size
-4 types of creeps for each race (Melee, Ranged, Flying, Siege)
-Massive wilderness area for strategic gaming
-Hidden shops, fountains, revealers

Basically, this map took me longer than expected. As a map maker with 2 years experience, I am familiar with most functions in the World Editor. The Heroes, for instance, took me over a whole month. Custom scripting can be a real pain sometimes. :) And the 16 player system, it took me 5 whole days to build it. What's so special in this map, you may ask. Personally, I myself love strategic games. Command and Conquer, Warcraft 3, Age of Empires, Empire Earth... I played all of those. But what interests me most is, obviously, Warcraft 3. Its unique editor gave me almost unlimited possibilities to create my own project. Besides this, I have also made 3 or 4 other maps, but all ended as tragedies. Clearly, then as a newbie in map-making, I tend to copy other mapmaker's styles and put them in my own map, which led to a barrage of accuses to... lets just say, copying. Last year, it suddenly occured to me that I should make a different map. A map which requires usage of an almost unlimited number of permutations of strategies to win a round. Hence, Warlords and Regiments is born. Actually, it is only my second map uploaded to the public. In the near future, I will focus on the improvement of this map, and, by providing suggestions and bug reports to me at [email protected], we can make it better, to suit the needs of more players.

v0.00 is only in the beta testing phase. More updates will be released in the near future, of course. In the meantime, Me, and my co-map author, Spiritviper, hopes that you all will enjoy this map.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
Yo, you need to post some more info on this thread about the game, or noone will give it a shot. You've only told us that you have made a map with heroes and items etc, the basis for any warcraft map,with no real defining details. Explain what makes it so different and what you have done to make the strategic element really shine. If it is the terrain that makes for good tactics, put up some screens, if you have different squad styles, base setups or spells or anything, load up some screens of those. People love screens lol

B

bountygiver

v0.04 is out!
Go to warlordsandregiments.blogspot.com
for more details

You all control 1 hero, just like in most AoS maps.
You have to use any means necessary to defeat all your 3 opponents.
While you kill one, you have to watch your back at the same time.
Remember, this is not your standard 2 team AoS

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
What's not standard about it?

B

bountygiver

Oops, strayed into my old thread, it seems...
Well, no point rewriting my map description again, I'll just copy and paste from the other forums

Well...seems like I haven't frequented this thread for a long time, even at the previous releases of the other versions.

Current Developing Version, v0.15. Progress: 99%, only a few terrain fixes remaining. Scheduled to be released a few hours later.

Here are a few screenshots showing the remade terrain of the map.

Picture 1: New positions of the Level 4 Combination and Upgrader stores.
Picture 2: Revealers are now positioned on top of steep cliffs.
Picture 3: The central area of the lanes at the edges are now entrances to shallow streams.
Picture 4: The remade Undead base.
Picture 5: Center of the map, viewed from Undead area.

Camera2.jpg

Camera3.jpg

Camera4.jpg

Camera7.jpg

Camera8.jpg

Oh yeah, actually, the map size (I mean the area) is 50% smaller than the previous versions. Didn't noticed that? Haha...
What's more, new game modes, major fixes, new heroes, and even new game features await in v0.15.

The last time I updated this this thread is ages ago, and many versions have been released in between. So, to those who haven't kept up to the progress of the map, here are the current features (v0.14) now:

1: 44 all new, custom made heroes with 2 normal skills (Up to level 7), 1 lesser power (Up to level 6) and 1 ultimate (Up to level 5).
2: Hero leveling up to level 40
3: Over 100 types of items, combinations, upgradable items and secret items, complete with a click-and upgrade item system.
4: Large map size, complete with highly balanced and detailed terraining.
5: A massive tangle of wilderness areas which enable players to hunt or be hunted.
6: Fountains and revealers in the wilderness to track and kill heroes down or escape and heal.
6: Multiple game modes
7: 4 lanes for each team. The top and bottom lanes lead to seperate bases while the middle two lanes lead to a single opposite enemy base.
8: (New feature in v0.10) Teleport with your in-built teleporting skill to any building.
9: (New feature in v0.10) Destroy towers to gain Teleporting Points or buy them from the Supply Stash.

I thinks that's enough for this thread. Stay tuned for more important updates.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is that it?

Obviously it's more than that, -.-, I'm trying to bring AoSes to the "epic" scale. ;)

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Your map might be cool but i won't bouther to play it, I will do what i do with evry map that is protected from the beta- Shift+Del , A quick game of DOTA and a longish game of Castle Fight.

B

bountygiver

Can you spell DOTA copy of items/shops/heroes?

Heroes? Definitely not. I've been using this skill leveling system in my previous maps, even before I heard about DotA. If compared to maps nowadays, I think my skill systems are more similiar to X Hero Siege. And yeah, even if you still insist it is still similiar, the playing styles are most definitely not.
Items? Hardly, actually my item upgrade system is inspired from Battle Tanks anyway, I was wondering how would you link that to DotA. Plus, yes, the combinations systems are quite similiar, but try thinking about this, if I switched everything to my click-and-upgrade item systems, I'll be having normal items with Reincarnation, Teleportation, Slow Poison etc. etc. Unless you can suggest another system for me, I still think this is the most optimum way of doing items.
Shops? Pretty pointless question anyway, what's a hero-based AoS map without shops?

And the point of this thread is to encourage feedback and review to improve this map over time, not to make pointless arguments. If you have a good idea to improve this map here, why don't you post them here, instead of making such comments?

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Heroes? Definitely not. I've been using this skill leveling system in my previous maps, even before I heard about DotA. If compared to maps nowadays, I think my skill systems are more similiar to X Hero Siege. And yeah, even if you still insist it is still similiar, the playing styles are most definitely not.
Items? Hardly, actually my item upgrade system is inspired from Battle Tanks anyway, I was wondering how would you link that to DotA. Plus, yes, the combinations systems are quite similiar, but try thinking about this, if I switched everything to my click-and-upgrade item systems, I'll be having normal items with Reincarnation, Teleportation, Slow Poison etc. etc. Unless you can suggest another system for me, I still think this is the most optimum way of doing items.
Shops? Pretty pointless question anyway, what's a hero-based AoS map without shops?

Hm....well dota's item conbination system si pretty good, but...it can be tipped off.Why don't you do this- each unit you kill leaves a different type of essence(like little wisps with different colors)And some items require differenttypes of essences.Like mele units will give out steel essence, ranged wind essence the siege ones can give mihril essence, and you can make your item system like that- i have 20 steel 40 mihril and 10 wind
i buy a normal sword, I IMBUE it with 10 steel.Now the item gives me 200 moore dmg.Then i use 20 mihril.And the sword has 20mihril and 10 steel.Now i press FORGE and the items is forged, there fore giving it a special ability based on the things i imbued it with.(like if steel gives dmg and mihril gives armor, the sword will have 12DMG and +20 armor and now he gets a special ability)Each Item that can be forged has 60slots, so that he won't get overpowered.And.....i think that this will be original.Let's you craft your own items.(sounds cool eh?)Also you can make a multiboard in where you can store these resources.And....that is it.
Btw, the map lags like hell for me.I think that you have major leaks or somthing because i have 2GB ram so it can't be from my PC.Stilll it can be just me...

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dota didn't invent recipe systems.
And just because some features of your map are the same as another map, doesn't mean you copied. I think you should stop making maps, because you see... Dota is a wc3 map. So you don't want to copy that do you?

Protected Betas... That's nothing bad.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the entire map? (Advanced > View Entire Map)

B

bountygiver

Hm....well dota's item conbination system si pretty good, but...it can be tipped off.Why don't you do this- each unit you kill leaves a different type of essence(like little wisps with different colors)And some items require differenttypes of essences.Like mele units will give out steel essence, ranged wind essence the siege ones can give mihril essence, and you can make your item system like that- i have 20 steel 40 mihril and 10 wind
i buy a normal sword, I IMBUE it with 10 steel.Now the item gives me 200 moore dmg.Then i use 20 mihril.And the sword has 20mihril and 10 steel.Now i press FORGE and the items is forged, there fore giving it a special ability based on the things i imbued it with.(like if steel gives dmg and mihril gives armor, the sword will have 12DMG and +20 armor and now he gets a special ability)Each Item that can be forged has 60slots, so that he won't get overpowered.And.....i think that this will be original.Let's you craft your own items.(sounds cool eh?)Also you can make a multiboard in where you can store these resources.And....that is it.
Btw, the map lags like hell for me.I think that you have major leaks or somthing because i have 2GB ram so it can't be from my PC.Stilll it can be just me...

You know, I used to have this idea about forged items but what I usually think is to have it in RPG maps, never thought about incorporating them in AoS maps though. Anyway, thanks for the idea, this will work well for the upgradable combinations.

Hmm.. About the lag issues you mentioned, I've just now tried it on a PC with Pentium M, 512kb RAM and a 64MB GC and it runs perfectly smooth (lags for dota 6.56 though). Try closing all background apps before running it, that should help.

Dota didn't invent recipe systems.
And just because some features of your map are the same as another map, doesn't mean you copied. I think you should stop making maps, because you see... Dota is a wc3 map. So you don't want to copy that do you?

Protected Betas... That's nothing bad.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the entire map? (Advanced > View Entire Map)

Haha, thx for your consideration. I've long since accepted that as an coincidence, as various maps usually tend to have certain aspects similar, and we cant just regard them as "copies". And there's no chance I'll stop map making, I've failed 5 maps before and I know now what people expects in a warcraft map.

BTW, your entire map screenshot:

Attachments

• EntireMap.jpg
    EntireMap.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 267
B

bountygiver

----------Bump----------

Sorry for the thread bumping, but anyone who is downloading and playing my map on battle net could you give me some bug/imbalance reports and suggestions please? My router settings doesn't allow me to host maps on Bnet so I'm only limited to single player and LAN testing. Ideas and reviews are also welcome. Thanks in advance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.