Gaming Warner Bros. backs new game console

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
SAN DIEGO -- Warner Bros. is among the financial backers of a new gaming venture, OnLive, that promises to leverage cloud computing and broadband connectivity to provide high-end play of the latest video games on PC, Mac or TV.

To be unveiled Tuesday at the Game Developer Conference in San Francisco, OnLive is the brainchild of Steve Perlman, who founded WebTV a more than a decade ago.

Perlman described OnLive as a revolutionary, on-demand game platform that can deliver the latest and most advanced games on any TV via a sleek, inexpensive MicroConsole or on almost any PC or Mac. "You can have instant access to games," he said in an interview. "You just click on it and it goes."

Unlike current consoles like the Sony PlayStation 3 or Microsoft Xbox 360 -- or even the PC -- OnLive will have all the graphics, assets and game play taking place on its servers and then streamed in real-time using a special interactive compression technology that took seven years to develop.

Last edited:

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh my god!! How do you play the games? Remote control?

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Need I remind you ...

[YOUTUBE]ESidBrr2cxk[/YOUTUBE]

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Its the same concept as remoting into another computer. They have just improved the compression so they can get all the gameplay off there box and they just have to read the controller ports and stream the data. A brilliant concept actually as I bet that actual console can be made cheap and even given away to support the pay per play type model.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Now I see what you mean, a game that lets you download, and save it into the internal hard drive of the seventh console, and then you play it directly from it by utilizing the wireless controllers.

I bet the hard drive minimum requirements is around 160 GBs.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I bet it does not even have a hard drive. They said in the article if you read it that the game will be played on the actual service server, the full info will be passed back to the box which just has to send the controller information and display the graphics and sound.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
It streams, so you won't need so much data stock.

Anyway, this seems like a good idea, since you can make one of the cheapest consoles using this technique.

The only bad thing about this is that, if you use the internet in order to play this, you'll have stupid latency for most people. You'll also have problems with broadband providers who limit the maximum bandwidth.

If this has some kind of its own connection, no doubt is it, that they'll charge us for using it.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I do hope the servers use an additional high-voltage wind generator to run.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.