Water.

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
A short essay I did on Earth's water: By Ozzdog

WATER

Today, water is the Earth’s most precious resource, as it always was. A well-known fact is that water covers 70-75% of the Earth’s surface, yet only 3% of that water can be used for drinking. There is not enough water for everyone on the earth. Here in North America, we have and use excessive amounts of water, but in some countries (Ethiopia?) they are not so lucky. Without water, there would simply be no life on this planet (Unless we evolved into a species that did not require water.) A single human being can live without water for approximately one week. Just about everyone knows the facts I have just added; yet every day our drinkable water becomes more and more polluted. Large manufacturing industries dump thousands of tons of waste into the water each day, causing aquatic organisms to die. Humans do not care because it is not affecting us yet. Eventually (probably quite soon), our fresh water will be too contaminated to drink, and we will not be able to eat any fish because they are also contaminated. Us humans have not done much so far to help solve our fresh water problems. In 1970 the U.S. government passed the Clean Water Act, which dished out $50 billion to cities and towns for water cleaning facilities. The U.S. Clean Water Act also gave the States the primary authority of their water state. Also the Clean Water Act states: “it is the national policy that the discharge of toxic
pollutants in toxic amounts be prohibited”. The CWA also states “it is the national policy that a major research and demonstration effort be made to develop technology necessary to eliminate the discharge of pollutants into the navigable waters, waters of the contiguous zone, and the oceans”. It seems that is just about all the government has done for now, but much more needs to be done.

Certain companies are ecologically aware, in the fashion that they do not dump toxins into the water, or keep it to a minimum. For example “The Body Shop” has a factory that has its own “Natural Purification System” that cleans most of the waste the factory produces.

As for individual human beings, most of us are aware of the water problems, but do not make enough effort to save water. People could help the problem very much if they conserved water.

To be blunt, the Earth’s water is going to hell, and humans aren’t’ doing shit to try and make it better.

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
You have a point there, but most people won't really think of that as something that can happen in the near future. They think that it can happen years down the line, when they are dead and rotting in their graves. As for big businesses doing the dumping, they don't want to spend money, they just want to make it.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
That informs fine, but the transitions could use a little work. I don't really know though, my hand is at fantasy/Sci Fi.

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Woot i got a 95% on this paper.

>>but the transitions could use a little work

Yeah, right befor I handed it in I re-read it and realized there were horrible transitions. O well.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Congratulations. I will personally come over to your house and deposite a box consisting of a penny.

You've earned it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.