WC3 Editor Contest 2013

What kind of map making contest would you like to participate in?

• Hero AI contest (code a hero AI and let it battle the AI's of other users)

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • RTS AI contest (code an AI for an RTS-style custom race and let it battle the AI's of other users)

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Terraining Contest (Make a nice looking terrain, it doesnt need to be playable)

• Playable Terrain Contest (Make a nice looking terrain which needs to be part of an actual map!)

• Spell Contest (Make an awesome custom ability)

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Hero Contest (Make an awesome melee tavern map hero with 4 abilities)

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

Aniconic

I am the very model of a modern major general!
Reaction score
I have a suggestion.

I like the ideas other people are dishing, but I feel the most balanced method for this contest would simply be to give every participant a random melee hero to code the AI for, and then judge through a tournament. No voting, no debates on balance, just a good ol' fashion hero arena beat down. Whoever can teach the game to play their hero the best is the winner.

Make's things a lot simpler to judge, and frankly, I don't know about you guys but schools coming up soon. So although I'd love to participate, I won't have a ton of time to invest in making and programming AI for an entire fully customized hero/race/ect.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
If everybody gets a random hero that wouldnt be very fair either. I get demon hunter and you get the paladin? I dont think you would like that.

I think if everybody can pick a standard melee hero and the judging will be done in form of an arena tournament it would be a good idea.

Its been 5 days now, we got 9 votes on the hero AI contest. I think we can close this and start the competition, what do you guys say?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Just created another template. Its a 64x64 map with 2 fountains of healing/mana and a shop.
4 spawn locations, each hero would spawn at a randomly selected location. The 2 other spawn locations would have creeps for leveling up.

The fountains would be changed to regenerate both hitpoints and mana at the same time.
The shop would be changed to contain items which would be more useful in an arena style map.
You can make suggestions for the items.

I also plan on spawning randomly generated corpses in any location which has blight. These can be used by the crypt lord and the death knight. For the paladin there could be player owned corpses spawning every now and then next to the paladin once he has learned the ability.

Experience would be gained periodically as well as gold. Several areas and positions would be marked by variables already so that the developers would not need to do this themselfs. (for example the positions of all shops / fountains / creep spawns / corpse spawns, etc)

I would also make some observer commands for everybody who would like to watch the AI fight.

Heres the map, yet without triggers though. Awaiting feedback on it.

Attachments

• Hero AI Contest Template2.w3x
    23.3 KB · Views: 324

Aniconic

Reaction score
I like it man, looks good, can't wait to start!

I see what you mean about random heroes, makes sense. I have another suggestion though:

Maybe we can structure this tournament in various stages. We could have a new round every week or 2, and every time add something new that the heroes can use and interact with.

For example, the first week would be an introductory beatdown. No healing items or working fountains. All heroes start at level 10 and have all of their abilities.

Second stage would be the introduction of Leveling with creep, as well as fountains.

Third stage could introduce items, and we can all discuss what items would be available beforehand.

Could keep it interesting, as well as allow everyone to build upon their existing AI over time as more variables and mechanics are introduced into play. let me know what you guys think.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know, if you guys want we can certainly do it. Its not like I am the one in charge here.
But I think this would take too much work. Not for creating the AI but hosting the tournament and having the battles fought out.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
I kind of like Aniconic's idea. It seems pretty cool.

But I think this would take too much work. Not for creating the AI but hosting the tournament and having the battles fought out.

We don't have to host it online, though, right? It is just AI. We could possibly make some vids of them duking it out (or share the replays). I mean, this is assuming there aren't too many combos. If we have a lot of submissions, we may have to face particular people against each other instead of having everyone face everyone. :p

Maybe we could make a challonge bracket or something. It would just be pretty cool to mess around with.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys. We really need like a definite answer now; how is this contest supposed to look like? There have been several suggestions and we have to pick one.

Aniconic

Reaction score
Well, the melee hero AI contest seems to appeal to the majority. My suggestion was just that, a suggestion, but if you are not down then its w/e, we can do this a more classical way.

I say we use the map that you have created for the contest and make a new thread. Update the thread periodically with everyone who will be participating and the heroes they will be programming for, as well as upload the template map with updated available items that we can debate on in this thread. Also add the corpses and leveling creep as needed. Based on the number of participants and how long it takes for everyone to get up to speed on what hero they are utilizing for the contest and the contest rules, the judge drums up a tourney roster while everyone works on their code. I can help with this if it becomes burdensome. We can do a time limit or we can just wait until everyone is ready. Whatever works I guess.

Just some suggested rules for scrutiny, critique, and appending:

1. Heroes must account for leveling up.
2. Heroes can be designed to buy and utilize the items available on the template map's merchant shops.
3. You cannot create custom abilities or manipulate the heroes in any way both in code or in object editor.
4. You cannot reference units in code that the hero cannot visibly see.

That's all I can think of for now.

We should also establish naming rules for global variables so that they don't interfere with each other when the triggers/jass are all added to the same map, and in the folder for each hero should be an init function with all the globals just like with GDD, allowing for easy creation of needed global variables on import. My suggestion would be to limit the use of GUI for loop functions (they access unseen global scope variables) and ask every participant to put their username in front of their global variable names. For example: Aniconic_Integer.

This will make it easy for the host/judge to easily import and compile everyone's code into a single template map, which can then be tweaked for use in the contest.

As far as actual contest goes, the judge can run a test from editor with him as a spectator while running fraps for all I care lol. Would be cool to have a hosted video of each round.

Just throwing it out there I guess lol.

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
Yeah I thought we'd be able to do it this week... Don't really have time for the next 3 weeks :(

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Well then I just go with it; I dont have too much time either.
I will create a thread tomorrow.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 2 submissions, no contest was held.
It was kinda expected but one could at least try. But now I think its fairly clear that the wc3 era is absolutely over without doubt.

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well. Here at least.
Hive still has tournaments going on.

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
I tried getting into SC2 GE the other day but it seems to be such an effort to get into it's not really worth the time. Also I feel like SC2 custom games lack the fantasy aspect that made WC3 customs so much fun.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
I tried getting into SC2 GE the other day but it seems to be such an effort to get into it's not really worth the time. Also I feel like SC2 custom games lack the fantasy aspect that made WC3 customs so much fun.

This, a lot of this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.