Wc3 resource system easily copied

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you know how idiotic that statement is?
Good, you realize how idiotic your own argument is there, and the rest of your logic is now flawed.

MMO means massively multiplayer online game
Yes, I assume we all know that.

And its a MMORPG, RPG is roleplaying game
You know, from my post, you could gather I know this.

A RPG is a RPG, the only difference with MMORPG is its strictly a online game, where you interact with other players.
You can play WoW offline, does that mean it is not an MMORPG?

But oh wait, its STILL a RPG. When a RPG is categorized as a MMORPG, it means its a online only RPG, where instead of joining different games online, its all just one world, and you can interact with other players, and meet new people ingame, and even play with them while playing the RPG.
That is the second time you pointed it out, so that's not very helpful.

Finally theres
Could you please use correct English?

Wow is not a RTS, in WoW its a RPG, since you control a single person while fighting in a war, of which you custimize.
Yes, so you categorize it into an RPG, and you claim because it is not a RTS because it is an RPG, which a flawed argument in itself, because your that means that anything that takes on another genre is not the first genre. See the flaw?

punwisp

Reaction score
Could you please use correct English?

Thats just a pathetic and repetitive trolling tactic, it won't work.

Are you seriously arguing against whats clear and blandly obvious? Its like you're arguing that the car isn't black, when its black. Very idiotic trolling

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Lol.. wow... arguing over whether it's RTS, RPG, MMO, etc...
The hell cares? What you guys think won't change a thing. Take it to Private messages if it bothers you guys that much.

EDIT: To comment on the below, what others think won't even change a thing either. I call WoW a racing game and WC3 a Musical.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Lol.. wow... arguing over whether it's RTS, RPG, MMO, etc...
Who the hell cares? What you guys think won't change a thing.
I like to think: "why not."

Hopefully what we think will change what others think.

Razalgrim

Reaction score
I like to think: "why not."

Hopefully what we think will change what others think.

A pointless endeavor. Nothing will change, except that maybe there will be one less clueless sap calling WoW an RTS. But, seeing as there is apparently only one of those saps in this community, why didn't you preach to him by use of the PM function? I just hate seeing stupid arguments drag threads down the dark pit of idiocy like this.

Besides, you could have ended the argument as easy as this: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/beginners/index.html

"As a massively multiplayer online game, World of Warcraft enables thousands of players to come together online and battle against the world and each other."

To everyone:

There are MMOs, and the MMORPG is a subgenre of that. An MMORPG is both an MMO and an RPG, but in most cases a game cannot be an MMORPG and an RTS at the same time. These are all gameplay genres. Fantasy is not a genre, it's a theme. Further argument means that the only failing logic here is inside your own head.

/endrant

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I love how everyone assumed I actually thought that WoW was a RTS.:rolleyes:
The basic concept of RTS is that you use strategy to conquer your enemies in real time you know;)
I was saying that this means nothing. Sadly that totally sidetracked the thread.

And in certain threads in the debate zone actually changed my opinion on things, so maybe I'm open minded but I always viewed the people hear as open minded compared to the rest of the internet.

Anyway, yes the resources of Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 are very similar. More similar than most RTS games. Which only makes it easier to to make wc3 in sc2 or vice versa. (sc2 has a few graphic systems that are impossible in wc3 but otherwise it is generally possible, just hard.)

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I would actually say that there is existing hybrids between RTS and RPG.
Warcraft 3, Spellforce and Kingdom Under Fire are three such games, where you level up one or more units and you've got heroes that you can equip with items. The best hybrid ever created is in face "Jurrasic War" from 1997, there you had to equip you soldiers with weapons and you had to go out and train them in the forests, to bad there never came to be a second game.

punwisp

Reaction score
Thats true, there are some RPG elements in Wc3, but not nearly enough, let alone focus to ever be categorized, sadly.

and Nightshade, you said WoW fits in the RTS section :p, which was one of the main issues we have been arguing over xD.

@Razalgrim

You hit the nail on the head.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I was arguing that under the definition that was provided WoW would fit into the rts genre, which it does not by general opinion and therefore the definition is not correct. When people said that WoW was not a rts I assumed that they actually had read the thread and thought that it still would not fit under the rts genre with the definition that was supplied. That is not true. Sorry for assuming such things.:rolleyes:
So no, razalgrim, the argument could not have been settled like that.

there has been a trend of rts games with rpg characteristics I've noticed.

punwisp

Reaction score
Going by your logic any game can be placed under RTS...

But just because it has strategy, doesn't mean it can be placed under RTS. Wc3 had some gameplay with rpg type elements. Does that mean the game can count under RPG? No

RTS games are war games where you control armies, small or large, can train new units, kill units with those units, and in most cases gather resources.

You can't do any of that in WoW. WoW is a RPG game, you fight as a fantasy character, you recieve quests from various villagers or soldiers, quests often to kill bandits, dragons, gather food, w/e it might be. Not a RTS.

And just because a RTS has some RPG type elements, doesn't mean it can fit in the RPG genre. And just because a RPG has some "strategy" elements, doesn't mean it can fit in the RTS section.

Now Fallout 3 would be a good example of a actual hybrid, RPG/FPS game, which would fit in both or in a RPG/FPS specific genre

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
@punwisp: If one looks at the meaning of the word strategy then any game that is played in real time can be put into the RTS category.
You are arguing that wow is not an RTS and then you mention that fallout 3 could be put there:confused: It is an FPS with some RPG elements.

WoW nor fallout 3 can fit into the RTS genre because the player only controls one unit. Check out "Nano wars" over at kongregate and you will see a game that is a basic RTS and nothing else.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Now Fallout 3 would be a good example of a actual hybrid, RPG/FPS game, which would fit in both or in a RPG/FPS specific genre

Put that into notepad and do Control + F and search for RTS.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Going by your logic any game can be placed under RTS...
Nope.

But just because it has strategy, doesn't mean it can be placed under RTS. Wc3 had some gameplay with rpg type elements. Does that mean the game can count under RPG? No
This is going to be hard if you don't read my posts.

RTS games are war games where you control armies, small or large, can train new units, kill units with those units, and in most cases gather resources.

You can't do any of that in WoW. WoW is a RPG game, you fight as a fantasy character, you recieve quests from various villagers or soldiers, quests often to kill bandits, dragons, gather food, w/e it might be. Not a RTS.

And just because a RTS has some RPG type elements, doesn't mean it can fit in the RPG genre. And just because a RPG has some "strategy" elements, doesn't mean it can fit in the RTS section.

Huh, do I see a trend? Something tells me that maybe you should read my post before replying to it. Is it really that hard? Read my post before it while you at it.
None of your arguments make sense when you realize that I'm talking about this:
The basic concept of RTS is that you use strategy to conquer your enemies in real time you know;)

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Put that into notepad and do Control + F and search for RTS.

He, I did not notice that, I stand corrected and thank you Sevion:)

@NightShade: That little quote at the end is only if you break it down and read RTS word by word, the actual genre requires that you use an army to do so and that is actually what it means in military situations as well.

I can agree that there is one element in wow that is similar to RTS and that is those battlegrounds thingies, but then again you as a player are still not controlling the entire field. You could on the other hand be the one telling all the others where to go and what to do and thus creating a more RTS like experience for yourself.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
That little quote at the end is only if you break it down and read RTS word by word, the actual genre requires that you use an army to do so and that is actually what it means in military situations as well.

Then why did you post it?

punwisp

Reaction score
Nope.

Huh, do I see a trend? Something tells me that maybe you should read my post before replying to it. Is it really that hard? Read my post before it while you at it.
None of your arguments make sense when you realize that I'm talking about this:

That little quote you keep posting is not what you originally said at the start of this... Just so you know.

@punwisp: If one looks at the meaning of the word strategy then any game that is played in real time can be put into the RTS category.
You are arguing that wow is not an RTS and then you mention that fallout 3 could be put there:confused: It is an FPS with some RPG elements.

Wow really? When did I ever say Fallout 3 would be considered a RTS? Let alone fall in that genre? Read my post again, I specifically said FPS/RPG elements. And its not a FPS with some RPG elements... Its a FPS/RPG game. If anything its a RPG game with optional FPS elements.

I really think you really misread my post, i used fallout 3 as a example of a actual hybrid game, wasnt related to RTS.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Nope it wasn't what I said at the beginning. It's what someone else said.

RPG and FPS are compatible.

btw who is making wc3 in sc2? Anyone?

punwisp

Reaction score
The problem with that is that in WoW you use strategy when you're in a raid, so WoW also fits into the rts section, as well as the mmorpg section. rts is really broad.
>.>, seems like you said it first, and you were the first to say it.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The basic concept of RTS is that you use strategy to conquer your enemies in real time you know:rolleyes:

That little quote you keep posting is not what you originally said at the start of this... Just so you know.

Nope it wasn't what I said at the beginning. It's what someone else said.

>.>, seems like you said it first, and you were the first to say it.

?
That makes no sense.
I am so confused.

Please at least try to make sense, if your going to try to say i'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.