General We Need a League Of Performance-Enhanced Athletes

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The use of performance enhancers in sports is inevitable. Celebrating it instead of banning it would make competition safer, more honest, and more fun

Sports are supposed to be pure—that’s why there are rules and referees; that’s why the first Olympians competed in the nude. It’s also the reason that the federal government is spending millions and millions of dollars investigating a famous cyclist who has, after a decade of denials and countless drug tests, returned to the center of sports scandal. It must be summer, since Lance and doping have returned to the national discussion.

It’s only natural that when we discover our heroes have injected chemicals into their veins for a competitive edge (and I’m not saying Lance has, only that it’s looking increasingly difficult for him to prove that he hasn’t) we find them tainted and strip them of medals and put an asterisk by their names. Doping is ugly for fans but it goes beyond betrayal. Performance enhancers turn a contest between athletes into a competition among scientists and engineers. This is the best argument against enhancers. It’s also the best argument for them.

Let’s pretend, for a minute, that a separate league exists. Let’s call it the Asterisk League or, better, the League of Extraordinary Medicine. Drugs are legal but regulated. Athletes get educated about the risks, long term and short, of everything they introduce into—or onto—their bodies. Fans know exactly who is taking what and tracking their performance accordingly. Labs and scientists are inexorably linked to athletes’ rise and fall. Chemist versus chemist doesn’t sound like it would make great television, but the field would quickly advance to the point were records were broken daily and feats of crazy strength became the norm. Chemist versus chemist would become superhuman versus superhuman. Broadcasts could include expert scientists in the booth describing the limits of the human body and how these chemical enhancements get around that, or don’t. The League of Extraordinary Medicine is more honest, its regulation more sensible, since outlawing drugs just does not work—we’ve got a forever War on Drugs to prove it. And our tests for drugs still aren’t very good.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I agree. Though it'd probably kill off normal sports.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
ethical much? how long until an athlete kills himself using drugs

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i would agree with this if i knew that these drugs would not cause harm to the body over a long period of time.
if the athleths are killing themselfs by doping i doubt that many people would agree with this league.

besides, they are doping themselfs to have an unfair advantage, who is using doping to be just as good as the others? i doubt this would really work out in the end.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Lets have a leauge with guys with no balls and girls with balls. I really feel like the athletes would succeed more based on how much steroids and stuff they take rather than skill.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
or we could just keep doing what we are doing. what's up with this line:

It’s only natural that when we discover our heroes have injected chemicals into their veins for a competitive edge (and I’m not saying Lance has, only that it’s looking increasingly difficult for him to prove that he hasn’t)

sounds pretty biased and against the man to me... I was under the impression that he was clean. I've never heard otherwise.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Futurama did it, just thought I'd say :p.

Serious:
Prometheus probably has a point though, Lots of people go see base ball and such to see records, who would be setting the most records being made(hopefully for the sports goers), and spectacle. if this got approved: steroided players or the normal leagues?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
This idea must be inspired by Tezuka Osamu's BlackJack movie made in Japan, where it depicts human athletes compete with superhuman strength, drugs, and records broken every day.

And this OVA was completed in 2005.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
I think the relevant futurama episode(Had something to do with a base ball knockoff with mandatory steroid injections) was earlier than that

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
You should watch 'bigger stronger faster', the full documentary is on youtube.

Steroids (and anabolic steroids) in particular kill less people in a year than vitamin pills. It is to people for themselves to decide whether they take the side-effects for granted and use it anyways. Steroids only kill when abused, just like food.

And don't we wanna see superhuman performances in sport?

Watch the documentary!

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
You should watch 'bigger stronger faster', the full documentary is on youtube.

Steroids (and anabolic steroids) in particular kill less people in a year than vitamin pills. It is to people for themselves to decide whether they take the side-effects for granted and use it anyways. Steroids only kill when abused, just like food.

And don't we wanna see superhuman performances in sport?

Watch the documentary!

I wouldn't say we want super human strength in sports. What we want in my perspective is a display of incredible power but have it achieve able naturally. Using steroids would mean you will only get as good as that guy if you take steroids rather than if you work hard you'll be able to achieve it. Olympics was made for greeks to show its people just how powerful people are. By adding drugs your not necessarily showing how powerful we are because drugs enhance your capabilities making it unachievable naturally.

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I wouldn't say we want super human strength in sports. What we want in my perspective is a display of incredible power but have it achieve able naturally. Using steroids would mean you will only get as good as that guy if you take steroids rather than if you work hard you'll be able to achieve it. Olympics was made for greeks to show its people just how powerful people are. By adding drugs your not necessarily showing how powerful we are because drugs enhance your capabilities making it unachievable naturally.

Steroids are not the wonder drug you make them out to be. There is no two paths - train naturally or use steroids - athletes would use steroids AND train their asses off. And even then, they 'd have to be blessed with great genetics and talent to be able to compete.

Also, define 'natural'. Athletes use as much as is legal and undetectable. Would you call this natural?

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
In my opinion natural means you use no performance enhancing drugs at all in your life. Its obviously not fully like that but there are plenty of athletes that don't use performance enhancing drugs. And they may not be as great as I make them out to be but if you take the best natural athlete and the best drug influenced athlete, the natural athlete will probably not be able to live up to the power of the drug enhanced athelete. Which brings me back to my point, kids will look up to the best drug enhanced athlete without knowing that its impossible to naturally get to that level.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
By adding drugs your not necessarily showing how powerful we are because drugs enhance your capabilities making it unachievable naturally.
But it does show that. And Athletes who use "drugs" know full well they are cheating. What's fun to see Athletes on drugs?

It's Just plain and simple cheating!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.