Weep's GDD

Jinxx

Reaction score
I see lots of people around here using Weep's GDD system. Now I know people aren't dumb, and they wouldn't use something that doesn't work, but isn't his system just a glorified trigger event leak reducer?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound sarcastic and I'm not, kudos to Weep for putting together something so simple yet effective, but I had hoped that his system could somehow detect damage types (without resorting to manually triggering every spell in a map, ofcourse).

Am I missing something? Could someone enlighten me as to what the benefits of the GDD are, besides stopping leaking trig events ofcourse. :confused:

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's accurate, it doesn't leak up to 400mb per game, and did I mention it's more accurate and doesn't leak?

What other reason do you need to have for using it?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
This system provides a leak-free, GUI-friendly implementation of an "any unit takes damage" event. It requires no JASS knowledge to use, nor any other systems, nor any software other than the World Editor. It will not interfere with other systems, either.

Is what it does. Those are the benefits. It also happens to be the very first line of the thread.

If you want damage type detection: Jesus4Lyf's Damage.

It requires vJASS knowledge.

Jinxx

Reaction score
...doesn't leak up to 400mb per game...
You've got to be shi**ing me! I had no idea trig events could gobble up that much memory! :eek:

Oh, and it's mac friendly :thup:
Lawl... sold your soul to the devil for aesthetics, eh? :D

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lawl... sold your soul to the devil for aesthetics, eh? :D

No, I sold my soul for something that doesn't turn blue or lag everytime I play Starcraft, Warcraft, and WoW at the same time.

Jinxx

Reaction score
If you want damage type detection: Jesus4Lyf's Damage.

It also provides a means to detect what type of damage was dealt, so long as all damage in your map is dealt using this system's deal damage functions (except for basic attacks).
I think I'll pass. :thup:

OT:

No, I sold my soul for something that doesn't turn blue or lag everytime I play Starcraft, Warcraft, and WoW at the same time.

Then don't play them at the same time? :)

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
isn't his system just a glorified trigger event leak reducer?
Yep. Plus, it takes care of setting up all the events, so you don't have to.

I am, however, working on a module that works with GDD to facilitate adding and blocking damage. No ETA on that, yet, though...

I had hoped that his system could somehow detect damage types (without resorting to manually triggering every spell in a map, ofcourse).
But, that's necessary if you want to get damage types even with the best vJASS system. :eek:

Am I missing something? Could someone enlighten me as to what the benefits of the GDD are, besides stopping leaking trig events ofcourse. :confused:
As mentioned above, I find it a lot more convenient than having an individual "unit enters map" trigger dedicated to adding the event to each spell...

Jinxx

Reaction score
Hahahah =) Epic laugh when I read this:
But it's so true! :D

I am, however, working on a module that works with GDD to facilitate adding and blocking damage. No ETA on that, yet, though...
Gief naow!! Seriously though, that would be so useful! No more "takes damage, make sure it has enough life not to die, heal damage taken depending on conditions, blah blah..."!

But, that's necessary if you want to get damage types even with the best vJASS system.
True, but at the point of development my map is right now (pre-alpha, still adding 1 hero with 5 spells every 3-4 days), I just can't be arsed to do it... maybe in a few weeks, once I get the major systems in place.

As mentioned above, I find it a lot more convenient than having an individual "unit enters map" trigger dedicated to adding the event to each spell...
True, true... importing your GDD as soon as I hit "Submit Reply"! :thup:

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
I have more events using Weep's system than I have events beginning with "A unit starts the effect of an ability".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.