Welcome to The Writer's Corner - These are the Rules!

Discussion in 'The Writer's Corner' started by The Helper, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Snowbizzle

Snowbizzle You can change this now in User CP.

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I know I've only posted here a couple times, and only on my own story, but there's a good reason for that: I could not muster the mental fortitude to sit through the other stories on here. That isn't to say that all of them are bad or that you all should quit writing entirely, but seriously, if you're not going to at least proof-read your story before submitting it, I should be able to tell you that your story would be better if only it weren't written in infantile, broken English. Sadly, that is the single most useful piece of criticism I'm able to give most people on this site.

I know it isn't what you guys usually read, but please, go read Fatmankev's "Smoke and Mirrors" post (my story). See how I used proper punctuation to separate my clauses? See how the tense stays constant? That's what you should be learning in fourth grade -- NOT what you should still have to be working on as you post stories on some Warcraft forums.

Destructive criticism, as Fatman puts it, helped me become a better writer. If you don't realize that you suck, you think that what you're doing is okay, and it goads you into maintaining bad habits. It's exactly the same in real life; why should literature, the most prominent form of information-sharing in the history of mankind, be different? If anything, shouldn't it be more strict about the input it's subjected to? So please, if you want to become a better writer, don't haphazardly fling together some generic ideas and call it a story, especially without proof-reading for grammatical or stylistic errors first. Go read. Seriously, go read books. Then do what they do. That's constructive.

2. Fatmankev

Fatmankev Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Ugh, I guess. It would have been much more acceptable if you'd placed that quote in your original post, though.

3. Pineapple

Pineapple Just Smile.

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    See but at that point, you completely forsake improving becuase all you desire are ass pats. And ignore everything others think about improving.

---------------

Also, Constructive Criticism. Thats what I think you ment.

4. Fatmankev

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I don't think "Constrective Criticism" is what anyone meant. About anything. Pineapple.

5. esb

esb Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    Check post number 4 in this thread.
    I did check the first post of this thread, and is specifically why I asked my question. It is not addressed there, whether it's ok or not. An Admin said it wasn't allowed, but maybe I misinterpreted. Hopefully if someone can give a clear yes or no (preferably in the first post of this thread too) then it would help others the future about that matter.

And don't worry, no offense taken =D.

Also, about the criticism ... It's pretty simple. Criticize the first work of the person. Give it "destructive" criticism as you call it. If the thread starter takes it offensively, or as a flame, then ignore him/her and their future posts/threads. The ones that truly want to improve their writing will take it maturely, and the others that just want a pat in the ass, will only want praise.

As for grammar being supposed to be learned in the 4th grade, that's different for everyone. Also, that's where criticism comes in play. If the person sees many telling him/her to improve the grammar, they will (if they care).

6. DM Cross

DM Cross You want to see a magic trick? Staff Member

Ratings:
    +570 / 1 / -0
    Here's a clear answer.

No.

No, it's actually much more simple.

You do what you said in this quote, and you're gone :)

7. esb

esb Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    Well, that sums it up. Thanks for clearing that =D

8. Fatmankev

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Gone where? I don't plan on leaving.

9. DM Cross

Ratings:
    +570 / 1 / -0
    Your plans have little to no meaning to me if you break the rules. You do that and you're gone.

Being a wise-ass doesn't help :)

10. Fatmankev

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    You know you say that, but the majority of your posts seem to suggest otherwise. :p

11. DM Cross

Ratings:
    +570 / 1 / -0
    I'm allowed. You are not.

Why?

Because I'm right.

12. Fatmankev

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    That was a lame response. I know you can do better than that.

13. DM Cross

Ratings:
    +570 / 1 / -0
    Here's the thing; I don't have to do better :)

Because I'm right.

14. Ninva

Ninva Анна Ахматова

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Settle down before you get banned, Kev. I don't always agree with authority, but you really can't do anything about it when they disagree with you.

15. Fatmankev

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure Seth and I are just having some harmless jabs at one another. I know I'm getting a kick out of it, and I'm willing to bet that he's enjoying himself, too. If he wants to ban me for something we're both involved in, well... we'll see if it comes to that.

And back to Seth. Um. Real quick, 'cuz I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. What are you right about? 'Cuz you ain't foolin' anyone if you try to say 'everything.' And also, just because you don't have to do something better doesn't mean that you shouldn't. I'd expect someone like you to try to excel in everything you do, regardless of how good the quality of the finished product needs to be. So let's see some damn spirit, eh?

16. DM Cross

Ratings:
    +570 / 1 / -0
    Kevin's not going to get banned from this. I really should stop being a wise-ass myself because I'm just kidding around, really and this is technically spam :D

Either way, it's cool, it's cool.

The most important part of this quote was "I'm a little slow on the uptake" :rolleyes:

17. Seb!

Seb! You can change this now in User CP.

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    I think that destructive criticism is not fair.. because the criticizers: you're not published authors either. Judging someone's work is fine and they do need criticism but it can't come from someone who has no writing success either.

18. Pineapple

Pineapple Just Smile.

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Just becuase Im not a famous author does not mean that I do not read.

I have read a few books believe it or not, and guess what? I know what I liek to read. So yea, I believe that what I say holds wait.

If a carpenter creates a bed frame, and I say I don't like how it looks, does that mean what I think doesn't matter becuase I am not a carpenter?

19. Seb!

Seb! You can change this now in User CP.

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    You can think what ever you want, and post it. But don't you think destructive criticism takes it farther than what you described? It's pretty much saying that the bed frame is useless and you know for sure that no one would like it and there's no point in building anymore, all that without having sold a single bed frame yourself?

20. DM Cross

Ratings:
    +570 / 1 / -0
    There's a difference between destructive criticism and your opinion, though. You can easily say "I don't like it and here's why" and I can easily say "I don't care what you think because I'm the author and I like it this way"

Your opinion is not better than my opinion. As the author, my opinion is what matters because I'm the one who's reputation is on the line with this work, not yours. Besides, you think you can be destructive because you don't like something?

I don't think so. I don't like Budsmoke's poetry at all, but that gives me no right to say it sucks. I don't not like it because it sucks, I don't like it because it's silly with almost no point in my OPINION.

So I just keep my mouth shut :)