Welcome to The Writer's Corner - These are the Rules!

Snowbizzle

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I know I've only posted here a couple times, and only on my own story, but there's a good reason for that: I could not muster the mental fortitude to sit through the other stories on here. That isn't to say that all of them are bad or that you all should quit writing entirely, but seriously, if you're not going to at least proof-read your story before submitting it, I should be able to tell you that your story would be better if only it weren't written in infantile, broken English. Sadly, that is the single most useful piece of criticism I'm able to give most people on this site.

I know it isn't what you guys usually read, but please, go read Fatmankev's "Smoke and Mirrors" post (my story). See how I used proper punctuation to separate my clauses? See how the tense stays constant? That's what you should be learning in fourth grade -- NOT what you should still have to be working on as you post stories on some Warcraft forums.

Destructive criticism, as Fatman puts it, helped me become a better writer. If you don't realize that you suck, you think that what you're doing is okay, and it goads you into maintaining bad habits. It's exactly the same in real life; why should literature, the most prominent form of information-sharing in the history of mankind, be different? If anything, shouldn't it be more strict about the input it's subjected to? So please, if you want to become a better writer, don't haphazardly fling together some generic ideas and call it a story, especially without proof-reading for grammatical or stylistic errors first. Go read. Seriously, go read books. Then do what they do. That's constructive.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Haha, but I do. That's my total aim, so you're kinda off when you made that statement.

See but at that point, you completely forsake improving becuase all you desire are ass pats. And ignore everything others think about improving.

---------------

Also, Constructive Criticism. Thats what I think you ment.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
I don't think "Constrective Criticism" is what anyone meant. About anything. Pineapple.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Well, take another look at the name of this thread. Now, take a look at the first post. Check it twice. Return here, and realize that no where does it say that profanity is prohibited; however, if the public generally has a problem with your work then you will have to censor or remove it.

Edit: Honestly, I didn't mean to sound like an ass right thar. Forgiveth me.

Check post number 4 in this thread.
I did check the first post of this thread, and is specifically why I asked my question. It is not addressed there, whether it's ok or not. An Admin said it wasn't allowed, but maybe I misinterpreted. Hopefully if someone can give a clear yes or no (preferably in the first post of this thread too) then it would help others the future about that matter.

And don't worry, no offense taken =D.

Also, about the criticism ... It's pretty simple. Criticize the first work of the person. Give it "destructive" criticism as you call it. If the thread starter takes it offensively, or as a flame, then ignore him/her and their future posts/threads. The ones that truly want to improve their writing will take it maturely, and the others that just want a pat in the ass, will only want praise.

As for grammar being supposed to be learned in the 4th grade, that's different for everyone. Also, that's where criticism comes in play. If the person sees many telling him/her to improve the grammar, they will (if they care).

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Check post number 4 in this thread.
I did check the first post of this thread, and is specifically why I asked my question. It is not addressed there, whether it's ok or not. An Admin said it wasn't allowed, but maybe I misinterpreted. Hopefully if someone can give a clear yes or no (preferably in the first post of this thread too) then it would help others the future about that matter.

Here's a clear answer.

No.

Also, about the criticism ... It's pretty simple. Criticize the first work of the person. Give it "destructive" criticism as you call it. If the thread starter takes it offensively, or as a flame, then ignore him/her and their future posts/threads. The ones that truly want to improve their writing will take it maturely, and the others that just want a pat in the ass, will only want praise.

No, it's actually much more simple.

You do what you said in this quote, and you're gone :)

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Well, that sums it up. Thanks for clearing that =D

DM Cross

Reaction score
Your plans have little to no meaning to me if you break the rules. You do that and you're gone.

Being a wise-ass doesn't help :)

Fatmankev

Reaction score
You know you say that, but the majority of your posts seem to suggest otherwise. :p

DM Cross

Reaction score
I'm allowed. You are not.

Why?

Because I'm right.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Here's the thing; I don't have to do better :)

Because I'm right.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Settle down before you get banned, Kev. I don't always agree with authority, but you really can't do anything about it when they disagree with you.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Seth and I are just having some harmless jabs at one another. I know I'm getting a kick out of it, and I'm willing to bet that he's enjoying himself, too. If he wants to ban me for something we're both involved in, well... we'll see if it comes to that.

And back to Seth. Um. Real quick, 'cuz I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. What are you right about? 'Cuz you ain't foolin' anyone if you try to say 'everything.' And also, just because you don't have to do something better doesn't mean that you shouldn't. I'd expect someone like you to try to excel in everything you do, regardless of how good the quality of the finished product needs to be. So let's see some damn spirit, eh?

DM Cross

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Seth and I are just having some harmless jabs at one another. I know I'm getting a kick out of it, and I'm willing to bet that he's enjoying himself, too. If he wants to ban me for something we're both involved in, well... we'll see if it comes to that.

Kevin's not going to get banned from this. I really should stop being a wise-ass myself because I'm just kidding around, really and this is technically spam :D

Either way, it's cool, it's cool.

And back to Seth. Um. Real quick, 'cuz I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. What are you right about? 'Cuz you ain't foolin' anyone if you try to say 'everything.' And also, just because you don't have to do something better doesn't mean that you shouldn't. I'd expect someone like you to try to excel in everything you do, regardless of how good the quality of the finished product needs to be. So let's see some damn spirit, eh?

The most important part of this quote was "I'm a little slow on the uptake" :rolleyes:

Seb!

Reaction score
I say that the Writer's Corner needs more destructive criticism.

Think about it - if everyone is only telling people ways to improve their works, then they'll continue to work on it and, subsequently, future works. Sounds good, right? But let's be honest... and honesty is the key word, here... some stuff on here is so awful it leaves a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach. In fact, there's so much trash on here that I've almost stopped looking at anything posted by anyone but a choice number of people, because the only thing that reading less-skilled peoples works does it cause pain. It causes me pain, because it wastes my time and infuriates me; it causes the writer pain, because all I can do is tell them how much I disliked it (or, much more often, I just won't say anything and I'll never read their crap again)... really, there's just nothing good that comes out of it.

And although constructive criticism is nothing but constructive, most of the time, people will present some of the problems with someone's story and finish with. "You're story is very interesting, and I'm really interested in seeing where you go with it," or some other such nonsense. Again, BAD! Do not get their hopes up! Do not fill their minds with your shameless praise, for they thrive on it and will continue to write. Some people are, simply put, not meant to write. Do not encourage these people. If you do, then you're a damned fool. God has other plans for these people, like succeeding in sports, making a rock band, or becoming a master of the custodial arts.

So, I ask you all - nay, I beg of you - do not be afraid to put someone down. You can do it in a way that's not mean, if you so choose, and that would be much better for everyone, but do not give them false hope. Do not lead them down a path that will only waste the time of everyone involved. Instead, let them know that they have no future in this field before it's too late.

Let's all try to practice a little destructive criticism, fellas, shall we? :D

I think that destructive criticism is not fair.. because the criticizers: you're not published authors either. Judging someone's work is fine and they do need criticism but it can't come from someone who has no writing success either.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
I think that destructive criticism is not fair.. because the criticizers: you're not published authors either. Judging someone's work is fine and they do need criticism but it can't come from someone who has no writing success either.

Just becuase Im not a famous author does not mean that I do not read.

I have read a few books believe it or not, and guess what? I know what I liek to read. So yea, I believe that what I say holds wait.

If a carpenter creates a bed frame, and I say I don't like how it looks, does that mean what I think doesn't matter becuase I am not a carpenter?

Seb!

Reaction score
Just becuase Im not a famous author does not mean that I do not read.

I have read a few books believe it or not, and guess what? I know what I liek to read. So yea, I believe that what I say holds wait.

If a carpenter creates a bed frame, and I say I don't like how it looks, does that mean what I think doesn't matter becuase I am not a carpenter?

You can think what ever you want, and post it. But don't you think destructive criticism takes it farther than what you described? It's pretty much saying that the bed frame is useless and you know for sure that no one would like it and there's no point in building anymore, all that without having sold a single bed frame yourself?

DM Cross

Reaction score
There's a difference between destructive criticism and your opinion, though. You can easily say "I don't like it and here's why" and I can easily say "I don't care what you think because I'm the author and I like it this way"

Your opinion is not better than my opinion. As the author, my opinion is what matters because I'm the one who's reputation is on the line with this work, not yours. Besides, you think you can be destructive because you don't like something?

I don't think so. I don't like Budsmoke's poetry at all, but that gives me no right to say it sucks. I don't not like it because it sucks, I don't like it because it's silly with almost no point in my OPINION.

So I just keep my mouth shut :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.