What are basic things to improve writing

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
I have many opinions over different things, but when I go to write them down (for a paper for example), my ideas dont come out to clear. The people who are supposed to teach me how to do the (my English teacher) decides only to teach about normal grammer things. However when you get to writing she gets mad for thing on you paper. Can someone give me some things that will improve my writing.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Check out the Please Read: Writing Tips at the top. Will really help. But if you dont want to read that, which you definitely should, I'd say read a ton, write a lot, and think about it a lot.

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Practice, practice, practice!

That's the absolute best thing to do. However, as Halahan mentioned, reading also helps a ton.

Halahan

Reaction score
Well there are 6 things.
1) Give reasons why it should be done (this is just an example)
2) Give the outcomes if it was done
3) Give the reasons that others give that it shouldn't be done and respond to them, but not flaming or insulting or 'thats stupid!" or something
4) give the outcome if it shouldn't be done
5) make SURE that all your grammer and conventions are used correctly, nothing spoils a good argument more then mistakes.
6)Give all your reasons in a nice, well educated form/way, but still make it understandable.

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
If your writing a paper, read it out loud at least once. Normally, you pause where there should be a pause. It's just something odd that I notice that people do. I know that's how I got through grammer lessons.

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
ummm, Im havin trouble thinking of what I want to write to practice this
-should I write a small story or write an opinion paper?
which would help develop my writing more?

Halahan

Reaction score
Well I personally think that writing a small story would help way more, because an opinion paper only really focuses on grammer, conventions, and your reasoning, your writing being maybe 40% of it, the other 60 being your reasoning. But with a story, 90% is your writing, the other ten being the actual story. Writing a story deals with much more, dialogue, plot development, characters.. of course if you will never get in a field that you would need that, then go with the opinion paper, for ex. if your going to work at an office do the opinion paper cause you would definiitely need to do that well, but otherwise the story uses much more writing.

Hey, thats just my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.