What course?

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
I am now in 4th year high school in Philippines, next year im already in college
im just confused on what course i want to get, can you decide? ill give you my interests...

I want to make games
I want to make graphic designs
I want to make mini movies or advertisements
I love to draw
I want to make viruses and spread it :D
I want to make hacks on a game
I want modeling using 3ds max
I want to make money fast using a computer

so can you decide for me?
icon3.gif

im sorry because i cant really decide on what i want

Thanks...

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
all of them...
i mean a course that has them all...
but my prority is gaming....

worldofDeath

Reaction score
Dude w. you should dicide on your own, this is what you will soon be waking up to every day for the rest of your life. Dont make other people dicide for you. Do what you think your going to enjoye doing for a long time. Bec hell what we chose isnt wat where going to do. Its your futuer. Do what you like, dont ask anyone.

But if i was to tell you what to do, it would be adv, or making games.

Good Luck Where ever you may go.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Dude w. you should dicide on your own, this is what you will soon be waking up to every day for the rest of your life. Dont make other people dicide for you. Do what you think your going to enjoye doing for a long time. Bec hell what we chose isnt wat where going to do. Its your futuer. Do what you like, dont ask anyone.

But if i was to tell you what to do, it would be adv, or making games.

Good Luck Where ever you may go.

Your complete lack of respect for the English language made me want to put my fist through your face... Dear God, man!

Albeit, he has a good (hard to read) point. People can't choose your life's direction for you. Well, they can, but you shouldn't let them.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
I want to make money fast using a computer
I'd know a way or two that reportedly make you earn a few tens of thousand dollars a week, but the activities aren't ... well ... respectable and they could put you in jail. :D

Playing games? Are you skilled enough? Try the CPL, you may become the next Jonathan Wendell or just notice how much better the pros really are.

Want to design or program games? You'd have to be really skilled and prepare demo works of your own. Or attend one of these really expensive and highly specialized schools. 3D? Try building a character mesh than can be animated with less than 700 faces and that actually looks like a human and not a bruised scarecrow ;)

Programming involves more than putting together 10 lines of PHP code you found on the web. Bad code can actually kill people.

Want a well paid job with a lot of perspectives in the future? Try heart surgeon or lawyer. :rolleyes:

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
here are the following courses i would like to get here in our town
-Computer Science
-Computer Programing
-Gaming

the course gaming is too expensive

computer science, i dont know all about it, does the course only makes web sites?

and for programing, I THINK that this course could help me in gaming and other stuffs like hacking

i really dont understand what computer science offers me, because if i asked some people here, they said its all about making web sites

thats why i avoided it and proceed to programing...(i dont like web sites making)

thanks guys!
+rep

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
computer science, i dont know all about it, does the course only makes web sites?
Computer science is ... well ... the science on and behind computers. The courses depend on the school's orientation: it's either practical, like programming tasks and designing applications (mostly computer-driven, maybe even some electronics) or theoretical, like algorithmics, studiying efficiency, proving correct codepaths: so more brain/paperwork.

The latter one may sound boring, but depending on the matter covered, is better suited for teaching common problems and provides a better in-depth view of the topics. After all, almost anyone can write a few lines of code. But writing efficient code requires more background knowledge.

and for programing, I THINK that this course could help me in gaming and other stuffs like hacking
Hacking (as in defacing websites or packeting servers) will get you nowhere, except into trouble. You're too late by a few years, except for PHP wannabe-coders, as new fools start putting online their "applications" every day.

As for gaming, it's more about in-game skills, rather than programming. I know, "cheaters always win", except in online gaming, where they get banned. Again, you're too late by a few years if you wanted to join the dark side.

i really dont understand what computer science offers me, because if i asked some people here, they said its all about making web sites

thats why i avoided it and proceed to programing...(i dont like web sites making)
Computer science gives you the background knowledge you'll need if you want to do some serious programming taks, tells you why you should do some things while avoiding others, while programming merely tells you how to "talk" to your computer.

Why is everything web-biased? Well, computers are nowadays more or less synonym for the interweb. The internet has become the same thing as the browser. The browser is the internet. Wait, there are games too. But since they're online now, they're the internet too. Why are things like this? Because "web programming" is easy. It takes 5 minutes to download and install PHP. And a few more minutes to hack/steal together the pieces of code until your "franken-application" does what you want it to. It might not work in all cases, or behaves oddly sometimes, but it works. This is where we've ended up right now.

The only people still worth carrying the "programmer" title are the old-school assembler and C folks. COBOL too of course. :D But as processors are becoming more and more powerful, efficient coding is just too expensive, as are skilled programmers. Better hire an average programmer, get him a language with fool-proof memory management, buy a server twice as powerful and it'll do the same job at a lower initial price. Usually reality catches up afterwards.

Didn't I tell you to become a lawyer or heart surgeon?

worldofDeath

Reaction score
Your complete lack of respect for the English language made me want to put my fist through your face... Dear God, man!

Albeit, he has a good (hard to read) point. People can't choose your life's direction for you. Well, they can, but you shouldn't let them.

Dude im only 16

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Go with what you feel most fimilar with.
I'm going to a High School Magnet IT Program. :D

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Before you go for programming...
Have you tried programming in a lower level language such as Pascal or C so far?
If not then try doing so and see how much you like it.
If you have, but didn't like doing it or couldn't get used to it then you might want to reconsider.
Don't forget that higher level languages (such as Java or C#) can easily be learned without a course, by merely reading tutorials. And you won't always have the choice of using one of these when programming.

> I want to make games
Well this is rather vague.
The process of making a game is a bit more complex and usually isn't something one can't do by himself (at least not when it comes to games more complex than tetris).
Usually a game is divided into the coding (engine) part, the graphics part and the sound effects (and music).
Since you also want to work in 3ds max and with graphics designing then that might be a good thing to pick - this way you can work on making those mini movies, advertisements and you can get to work on a game at some point.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Dude im only 16

What? WHAT?! That's even worse! You're 16! What the hell are they teaching you in English class, Spanish?!

When I was 10, I could type better than your post before. At least spell your words out, if nothing else. Put your post in a Word document and see if the Spell Checker doesn't highlight every word longer than 2 letters.

This isn't an IM chat. It's a forum.

Txt tlk dnt wrk hre, dude!!!!!!11!!!11one!!!!

Now, pardon me while I go cut my fingers off after forcing them to do that. It's only the proper, merciful thing to do...

Have a good one, kiddies.

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
well i was reading tuts on java scripts, and i have a java script editor too...

gaming is cool, i would like to learn it, thats why i installed 3ds max, and also installed adobe premiere pro, the best tool for making mini movies, with tons of sfx inside...

the reason why i want to learn programing or java scripts, is because ive got the program game maker 7 and some of the scripts need programing language...

ill like the 3d game maker, because you can put ur own custom models, but the bad thing is, i dont have one, and if i had one, it will be slow, because of my pc specs, now im saving money for buying fast memory and graphics card

well, my father is a lawyer, but i have no talent in economics, and politics, and also for the heart surgeon, i have a very tiny bar of patience and i dont like bloods, or something that comes from the human body

and whats the difference between PHP editor and Java script? i have those two...

and yeah, also for IT (information technology) some people i asked here says that, the course is like a path to programing, and some says, you work in the bank if u take that course
what does IT really offers me or what it teaches...

+rep for SFilip, because i +repped some of u before, thats why now i cant +rep u...

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
and whats the difference between PHP editor and Java script? i have those two...
A lot
From what I understand, PHP is a simple and basic script while you can do much more with java.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> Java
I personally consider it more of a toy than a language. Generally anything you make with Java might be easier than doing it in some other language, but would require a special framework and would work much slower.

> PHP
Well it's actually made as a preprocessor, it works nice, but is more for web design than actual application.

> JavaScript
Same. Made for web design, high level language, not really useful for anything serious (but web design can still put money in your pockets!).

> Game Maker and co.
Pretty colors, essentially drag and drop...well as powerful as it might be I think it's more a game than an actual maker.

But after all this is just my perspective.
There are indeed some serious projects being made in these languages, but a lower level language can definatly beat them all (though a language like this generally requires more work from the programmer when compared to the above).

worldofDeath

Reaction score
What? WHAT?! That's even worse! You're 16! What the hell are they teaching you in English class, Spanish?!

When I was 10, I could type better than your post before. At least spell your words out, if nothing else. Put your post in a Word document and see if the Spell Checker doesn't highlight every word longer than 2 letters.

This isn't an IM chat. It's a forum.

Txt tlk dnt wrk hre, dude!!!!!!11!!!11one!!!!

Now, pardon me while I go cut my fingers off after forcing them to do that. It's only the proper, merciful thing to do...

Have a good one, kiddies.

Im in my 4th year of spanish if that helps any?

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
Thanks SFilip, now i understood what they do!
so that means ill go to Java rather than studying Java script and PHP
how about C++ whats that?
is there a program that can edit C++?
worldofDeath vs Seth_Cross

fight!

worldofDeath gets smacked on the face!
Seth_Cross banned worldofDeath
Ownage!

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> so that means ill go to Java rather than studying Java script and PHP
That really depends on what you want to do.
Java Script limits you to website scripting.
The same with PHP, it's possible to use it for real programs as well, but that's really not what's it (originally) made for.
Now Java...well it's quite the portable language. There are several variations that should allow you to write programs for many platforms, you can even embed it into a web page (but probably not make a whole site) or execute on cellphones and other devices.

> is there a program that can edit C++?
As a rule - any language can be written even in notepad.
All programming languages are mere text, can be typed in just about any text editor.
Now the real deal is the compiler. A compiler (along with the linker, no need to go that far though) turns this text into machine code, something your CPU understands and executes. Packed up, this machine code will often be an exe file you can simply double-click and run.

Now if you want to write C++ code I recommend getting Code::Blocks (find the release that matches the current date or so). It is a nifty editor with compiler included, all you need to do after writing a program is to save and press F9.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.