US News What did Edward Snowden get wrong? Everything

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
16x9

Edward Snowden is now out of his limbo at Moscow's airport, presumably ensconced in some Russian dacha, wondering what the next phase of his young life will bring. Having spent 30 years in the intelligence business, I fervently hope the food is lousy, the winter is cold, and the Internet access is awful. But I worry less about what happens to this one man and more about the damage Snowden has done — and could still do — to America's long-term ability to strike the right balance between privacy and security.

Ever since Snowden, a former contractor for the National Security Agency, leaked top-secret material about its surveillance programs, he and the U.S. government have locked horns about the nature of those programs.

But those following the Snowden saga should understand two key points. First, though many things need to be kept secret in today's dangerous world, the line between "secret" and "not secret" is fuzzy rather than stark, and if the goal is security, the harsh truth is that we should often err toward more secrets rather than fewer. Second, despite the grumbling from Snowden and his admirers, the U.S. government truly does make strenuous efforts not to violate privacy, not just because it respects privacy (which it does), but because it simply doesn't have the time to read irrelevant emails or listen in on conversations unconnected to possible plots against American civilians.

Incidents like the Snowden affair put my former colleagues in the intelligence community in an impossible position. Yes, the official explanations about the virtues of data-collection efforts can sound self-justifying and vague. But they're still right. I know firsthand that Gen. Keith Alexander, the NSA director, is telling the truth when he talks about plots that have been preempted and attacks that have been foiled because of intelligence his agency collected. I know because I was on the inside, I have long held security clearances, and I participated in many of the activities he describes.

Blah Blah Blah: http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-76979523/

Snowden is an Anon I know it. LOL - They cannot stop his ass. Merica!

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
But I worry less about what happens to this one man and more about the damage Snowden has done — and could still do — to America's long-term ability to strike the right balance between privacy and security.
Yeah, the right balance being spying on everyone, right?

duderock101

Check out my 2 Player Co-op RPG!
Reaction score
I dunno about this whole thing. I haven't looked into it much. I'm just surprised Americans are fine with everything they do on the internet being recorded by the Government.

Still surprised people believe America is a country of liberty, when they're pretty much as bad as the 'terrorists'.

Actually... scrap that. It's America. 'nuff said.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
So much is wrong with this Article.
First of all, is it right to infringe the privacy of non-Americans, to secure the safety of Americans? There are other laws in other countries that state that personal privacy is not supposed to be infringed, without your consent. I don't care if it's just Americans that are spied on, but elsewhere it's just not right.
Second of all, it's Illegal to use Kies-based Software, ANYWHERE. So, why should it be legal to use xkiescore? America bypasses it's own laws and that is what annoys me the most.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
America bypasses it's own laws and that is what annoys me the most.

Every day like we're bragging about it. I love my country, but my government is turning it to shit.

And to duderock, a lot of us are feeling less and less free with each day. It's not fun to watch the people that run your country spending all their time and resources bickering at one another instead of trying to resolve any issues while people with money in the shadows have their agendas fulfilled without any sort of public scrutiny. It's unnerving to think what might be going on behind closed doors.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.