What every mapper should know, but probably doesn't.

T

Tristian

What every mapper should know, but probably doesn't.

Whats the maximum size of a map? I know its around 3 megabytes.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
4 megabytes for Battle.net. Campaiugns and single player maps can be terabytes in space; It doesn't matter in single player.

T

Tristian

For Dota Allstars, how do they have the preveiw screen and loading screen images without going over the limit?

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
i don't think there is any way to have a battle-net map over 6mb. If it is over 6mb its probably because of imported sounds/models/skins.

besides, even if you could bypass the cap, who wants to wait for people to download a 6mb map, it already takes forever for a 2mb map

lesson

Reaction score
so u're saying that ppl are able to make a b-net wc3 map that is above the 4 mb???.. well i guess some maps with lots and lots of units, triggers, doodads, "details" and lots of other stuff perhaps could have a file size above 4mb without haveing any imported files...
i havn't tried to release a wc3 map on b-net that was above 4mb so i wouldn't know.. like some other ppl, i too had heard that 4mb was the maximum file size..

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
4mb is the absolute limit on Battle.net.

Dota is about 2.56mb. The icons are about 200kb, then sounds 500kb and the rest is the loading screen. The map preview is aoubt 100kb.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
A map simply cannot be playable if it's over 4mb and has very little imports. A preview screen/loading screen can take about 200 kb if you use the right compression.

If a map's over mb and has minimal imports, it's due to objects on the map and other factors. If that were the case, WC3 wouldn't be able to handle it.

Tristian said:
For Dota Allstars, how do they have the preveiw screen and loading screen images without going over the limit?

Compression. They use high amounts of compression, to get the equal size to AROUND 200kb.

Rad

Reaction score
Parasite EX was 3.99mb, I have it in my folder when you hit properties its 39842kb.

Another thing every mapper should know is the doodad trick, Page up/down with CTRL when moving a doodad will adjust its flying height, you can literally sink it into the ground or make it fly in the sky.

And of course, hold shift when opening a real/integer value field to allow negative values and go over the limits.

The last thing doesnt really work right with the title, but someone might be wondering as its asked frequently here: You cannot give abilities effects of another abilities, there are a few exceptions (Orb of Lightning, Spellbook...). Example: also you cannot give Bash poison effects.

Rad

Reaction score
Er well... hmm just a sec ill go check i typoed somewhere xD

EDIT~Okay take out the 8...

Size: 3.99 MB (3,942,456 bytes)

But thats 3.94... hmmm it says 3.99 though :confused:

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Of course u can always vex's op tool lol it may help somewat.

P

Persen

Rad said:
Er well... hmm just a sec ill go check i typoed somewhere xD

EDIT~Okay take out the 8...

Size: 3.99 MB (3,942,456 bytes)

But thats 3.94... hmmm it says 3.99 though :confused:
3,942,456 bytes == (3,942,456 / 1024) kb == 3850,0546875 kb == (3850,0546875 / 1024) Mb == 3,75981903076171875 Mb

I think.

EDIT: One Mb is NOT 1000 kb, it's 1024. Same for bytes and kb. 1 kb = 1024 bytes

Jo.O

Bored...
Reaction score
Since your talking about 'what every mapper should know' i wonder...
What's the maximum amount of doodads in a map?

V

VG Emblem

Is there any maximum number of custom units you can have in your map?
Is there any way to have mass tp effect allied units?(I tried adjusting the targets allowed, but nothing worked)

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Dunno, but you don't want to EXCEED the limit. Limits are there for a reason, to PREVENT LAG.

Yes, use triggers. Pick every within 512 AoE of casting unit owned by ally of player 1(or whatever). Move instantly picked units to target of abillity being cast.

Might work, might not. But triggers is the only way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.