What is writing to you?

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing from you what is writing for you. Why do you write? How do you write? About what? Where do you get your inspirations?

A bit about me. I mostly write short stories and poems. I started a few novels, however I'm working very slowly on these. I rarely share my works, and those that I do share are the ones I feel I need help with. I hope I will soon feel ready to share my better works with friends and with the community.

My poems tend to regard little, silly things. They are very short (5-10 lines usually) however I work very hard on make every word meaningful and emotional. Sometimes I go so far, what makes the poem almost unreadable, a known problem I'm working on.

My true love is short stories though. I write one about anything, and can write different stories on the same topic. They vary and change in style, language and topics. They can be a page and they can be ten. Some emotional some meaningless. They represent truly what writing is for me.

As for novels. Usually, unlike my other works, my novels are fantasy genre. I have three main works. I find myself spending most of the time on creating the world and settings over writing the story-line. I don't force myself to write the story-line and usually it comes naturally after I'm comfortable with what I created thus far. I even wrote a small "guide-book" to one of my novels, about 40 pages just about the world and my ideas for it. History, economy, politics and so on.

Inspiration comes from everything. Someone I see on the street, thoughts that go through my mind, pictures I see, conversations, articles I read, everything. All can trigger that little part in my brain that makes words flow. It makes me dream at classes and go home early to write and think. It makes me come up from bed and run to my computer typing few words. Writing is not a luxury for me. It is a job. I feel I must do it, or else, I'll go crazy.

That's me, now, your turn. :p

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I love to tell and read stories. My inspiration comes from everything around me. Sometimes I just start writing without anything in mind. I write because I want to. There was no impressive epiphany to tell; I just love to imagine and stay childish forever.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Writing for me is a portal out of the dull dull life that I live :thup:
My stories usually revolve around random ideas that pop into my head.
These ideas range from Soul Blade-wielding Helixes to Humanity-Dooming Darklings... So I guess you can say that I'm inspired by anime :p

However, the one thing about my writing that I really want to change is how I come with storyline ideas.

I write on instinct. Meaning, I don't think, I write. I don't plan on the future Chapters, I just finish it, wait a while to recharge, then write again. That is why I get stuck on chapters on stories. Of course, after a while, I finally get an idea to bridge other ideas onto the chapters, but that's usually after three months...

I gotta stop myself now or Ill start going on a rant :p

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Fun to create new worlds, give shape to your ideas.
decided to be blunt right there.. lol

kitkat24210

Reaction score
I get inspired by everything I see, like everyone else. I write mostly fantasy, though, because it's what I was brought up on, and it's how I think. I'm sort of a procrastinato when it comes to finishing books and longer storylines, so I've found that short stories are my thing. I am working on a series of short stories that make up one coherent plotline though.
My friends and I came up with our own little universe/town that is central to everything about our characters: where they live, work, etc. Most of our plots are based in this town, but I tend to go outside the bounds of that sometimes. Fanfiction is also something I do, mostly AU (alternate universe), or movieverse when it comes to things like Batman and Iron Man.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
To me, writing is the process of physically inscribing symbols into or onto some kind of record-keeping device in an order that makes those symbols capable of being read as a combination of recognizable sounds arranged in such a way as to make a comprehensible grammatical unit that is syntactically independent and has a subject that is expressed or understood and a predicate that contains at least one finite verb.

How's that?

Zakyath

Reaction score
>To me, writing is the process of physically inscribing symbols into or onto some kind of record-keeping device in an order that makes those symbols capable of being read as a combination of recognizable sounds arranged in such a way as to make a comprehensible grammatical unit that is syntactically independent and has a subject that is expressed or understood and a predicate that contains at least one finite verb.

Say what?

Writing is just, uhm, something I do to get things off my mind. I try to make my thoughts flow into words, then I write it down.

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
If you want to write to me I can leave you my address... why do you want to?

Sorry, bad play on words.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
I don't ask a lot from life.
I'm inspired by smoking weed, having sex, and playing Warcraft.
I think enjoying life to its fullest is identifying the few things that honestly make you happy, and then sharing that joy with others.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.