What language do professional Game Makers write in?

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
Hey guys i want to make my own game like the pros!

does wow, counter-strike, D2, heroes Share a common language??

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Hey guys i want to make my own game like the pros!

does wow, counter-strike, D2, heroes Share a common language??

English? :D

3D engines are either developed in-house or licensed from a big company like Valve or ID Software, Epic Games, ...

Computational intensive tasks are done in assembly language and most of the other parts in either C or C++. You won't find many other languages, maybe a little bit Java for GUI tools.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
i didn't get a darn thing, what how can i make in-house where should i start?

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
nah i think im going to start of by 2d, but what language do i need to write it in??

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Language?
That's the least of your worries.
When it comes to Software products in general, the actual writing is the smallest part. What you need to do first is planning. And, judging by post #3, some learning before that wouldn't hurt. :p
Use Google. Find out what a game engine is. Find out what a rendering/3D engine is. Not just "yeah, I kind of know something about those things". Find out what things like DirectX and OpenGL are (again, definition "something I must have installed in order to play Counter-Strike" is not good enough). Read as much as you can find on those two. And read an article (book even) on game development.
That said, you might want to start with Game Maker. It's a very powerful tool for 2D games and should get you some experience at least.

Reaction score
You can easily do a simple game with Game Maker for an example, there is alot of tutorials and examples for it. It uses GML (simply, Game Maker Language), which is very simple. It has also a small GUI, but GML allows you to do like 100 times more.

Then there is DarkBasic Professional, I have no experience with it, but I've heard it's very simple.

>It's a very powerful tool for 2D games
You can also make 3D games with it.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
I have tried game maker and p0wned with it, lol maybe i still have a game from there.

but i think i will check some guides and books out.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
can't i just make my own somehow?

i don't want all those build in "sh&t programs" that would like frontpage and html

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score

Why do I have the impression that you have no idea what you're talking about... :rolleyes:

Try finding some articles dealing with game engines, and you'll notice that they're not exactly obvious to design, be it parallax scrolling (2D), occlusion/hidden surface detection (3D), lag-tolerant networking code and so on. It's not like it could be achieved by some point-and-click tool, but requires in-depth knowledge of a real programming language (so not HTML, Javascript, Visual Basic) as well algorithmics and mathematics.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score

i don't want all those build in "sh&t programs" that would like frontpage and html

A Game Engine is just tools. If you want to reinvent the wheel and recreate everything you certainly can do that. You would do that with C++ or actually any programming language would work though C++ is probably the most used. Learning how to use the tools are a big step.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
Why do I have the impression that you have no idea what you're talking about... :rolleyes:

because i don't, i can't find head and tail in this.

i don't get what i need, what i should learn and what i should make my self.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
That is why you need to start researching. Using a Game System is a good start as you can see all the elements you need. Do some demos to get a feel for everything.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
because i don't, i can't find head and tail in this.

i don't get what i need, what i should learn and what i should make my self.
Have no fear, the answer is out there.
Open up this little site, use phrases found in enouwee's posts and you should find something useful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.