What Makes A CTF map "Great"???

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
As part of my custom hero arena, I am adding in a variety of other games to the mix as playable modes. I have a completed Capture the Flag mode, though I feel it is really lacking that, "OMG, REHOST, REHOST, MUST PLAY MOAR" that CHA has managed to achieve in it's normal mode.

What I got:
- Unlimited possibilities with heroes. Heroes, skills, and balanced therein are no problem. Literally billions of possible combinations. Thousands of truly unique combinations.
- Items, are equally as "done". Over 300 items, it doesn't matter your play-style, there is an item build for you.
- A disgustingly kick-ass score board. Kinda big, but allows players to keep track of anything you would care about in a CTF.

I have all the triggers and such done. When a player gets a flag, their move and attack speed are reduced by quite a bit. There is balanced ways of giving out gold and levels, based on flag grabs, returns, caps, and all that.

... Essentially, I have everything that a good CTF game needs to have; but I still feel like the game is lacking. The major downside that I know is a downside, is the map size. The distance from grabbing the flag to returning it is rather long. This makes for longer games, rather than 15 minute games with 20 flag captures.

Soo uhh, anyone out there who is a CTF enthusiast; of have ever played a truly addictive game of CTF; spam whatever it is that you would like to see in a CTF game; that is, what you believe would make it unique, and something players would want to play over-and-over again. I want this to be the best CTF game possible!

SaintMorose

Reaction score
I used to play Bombing Run in UnrealTournament on xbox had a ton of OMG that was a blast fun with that.

Bombing run works like Capt the flag mixed with some kind of rugby or aussie rules where there is 1 flag and both team try to push it into the other teams goal. Passing a shooting is an option.

It was mainly fun just because we would make it impossible to score unless you got some ridiculous luck or had incredible teamwork. (ie. our map has a enemy spawn point right beside the goal, instagib (instant kills), low grav (long, slow jumps)

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
that sounds pretty cool; but it sounds more like "plant the bomb" which is another mode I am working on. However, you post gave me a GREAT idea for that mode; allowing players to hand the bomb off to allies. (i was planning for players not to be able to drop it once they have it, unless they die).

Of course, with 3 ways out of the base, and a healing shrine inside the base; you would never be able to camp their base.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else got any ideas for capture the flag? I guess plant the bomb and King of the Hill ideas would work also; but I believe I have KOTH all figured out already. Any suggestions will be mulled over ^_^

AKDevil

Reaction score
perhaps you could give the leading team a handicap that increases as they get ahead by so many caps (maybe bigger debuff for the flag bearer?). probably not what you were looking for but. . .

Dirac

Reaction score
I agree bomb domination is an excelent game, i also loved to play it on UT. I even made a demo map with it, lemme see if i find it

Edit: Found it, i think i made this one year ago, still lots of fun

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
AKDevil, Though that is a good idea, I already though of it >< It is based on progression, but the slow given by the flag (both move and attack) is increased every few flag caps. Also, Every second you are on the other teams half of the map, you lose .5% HP a second. Both of these are to allow people to defend; because capturing flags gives your team a large bonus.

Saint, If you can give a really in-depth description of that game you used to play; I might be able to remake it as an option to play in plant the bomb mode.

Dirac, I will look at your map and try to see what you guys are talking about ^_^

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
my favorite CTF's was flagrunners, it was simple, yet very fun to play, and it's distinctive "feature" was computer-controlled artillery that could be purchased (well you bought ammo and it fired it automatically)

I generally disliked any CTF's that have tomes/bash in them as they never seem balanced.. and when there are items that claim to give 2 or more orb effects in one (and don't do so), those maps generally annoy me

also I don't remember the name but I played an "oldschool" CTF where there actually was a center-line and a jail that you went to whenever you were "tagged" on the other side of the line (and you were invulnerable on your own side, of course)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.