Report What turns people off from buying 3D TV.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Try as they might, Panasonic and Sony have yet to convince consumers that 3D TV is a necessity.

Released today, a new study commissioned by The NPD Group found that while people know more about 3D TV now, they're not generally any more convinced of why they need one.

A year and a half into the 3D TV era kicked off by Sony and Panasonic and since joined by others, 45 percent of people who said they wouldn't buy a 3D TV said the reason is it is too expensive. And 42 percent of people said the reason they wouldn't buy one is because they don't want to wear glasses.

That's an increase in both categories--just six months earlier only 37 percent said price was the inhibiting factor in their purchase, and 32 percent said wearing glasses was. But interestingly, the increase of people who were hung up on 3D glasses was larger than people who thought the TVs were too expensive.

This NPD study follows a survey Nielsen conducted last fall that found, among other things, that 90 percent of respondents said they wouldn't want to wear glasses for 3D TV because it would hinder multitasking--like working on a laptop, or other things people generally do while sitting in front of the TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
The glasses are waaay to expensive. For my parents to buy them for the whole family, it would have cost $250-$500 dollars.

It's just not worth it.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
The glasses, that is absolutely the main problem for me. I already wear normal glasses and wearing the two together (as I have in the cinema) is not paticularly comfortable. Plus, long periods of 3D don't make good for my eyes.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I don't see the point. If I'm at home I don't wanna watch things in 3-D. Watching something in 3-D on a small screen is pointless to me anyway. It's something I'd save for the theater screens.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
I will not buy into 3D because... it's not enjoyable. It's not enjoyable at the theatres... it's not enjoyable playing 3D sc2... It is simply not enjoyable.

Why? Beyond the annoyances of glasses/ expenses involved in bringing it in your house... There are no standards for the way 3D even looks. Some cartoon movies make use of EXTREME differences in depth of field in order to make a particular place on the screen "pop out" at you. This is not enjoyable. It is too distracting to the entire movie and extremely disorienting when the extremes are too distanced. It can make your eyes cross even. Essentially, a depth of field map is made for everything, and many digital movies have extremely unrealistic jumps in distance for the sake of making things seem more 3D or emersive or something.

Another problem I have is that when you watch a 3D version of a movie, your focus is always controlled. They essentially show you where to look on the screen. I like the 2D versions of every movie so that I can look at the rest of what is going on and choose for myself where I want to focus. A lot of movies have more to them than just the main action or ONE spot that you should be looking at.

Other problems:
*the tech is too young and will change drastically from where it is now. standards will change. prices will change.
*you have to look directly at the television or things get distorted.
*a specific distance is advised.
*everything doesn't come in 3D so there is the annoyance of compatibility.

I honestly don't know if they will ever give up, but I will never buy into it.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I will not buy into 3D because... it's not enjoyable. It's not enjoyable at the theatres... it's not enjoyable playing 3D sc2... It is simply not enjoyable
QFT It's Just crap, plain and simple.

pr0-assasin

Reaction score
It is simple. Why would I want to watch my TV in 3D? I don't want to watch my 3d movies on a 42 inch TV, I want to watch them in an actual movie theater, besides that not at all.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Anyone try the 3D DS yet?

My eyes started bleeding out the moment I tried playing with it.

Reaction score
Haha. I know the real reason you're bashing the technology. It's new.

EDIT//: I find it incredible that you guys have moved on from CRT monitors.

ReVolver

Reaction score

My computer's monitor is a CRT ;]

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score

I like things that are useful and enjoyable. Point is, I don't find 3D tech very useful or enjoyable.
If you want to throw years of research and development into making something that is more of a gimmick than anything else be my guest.

Gimmick factor sells a lot of things though. At this point in time, 3D technology is really quite horrible imo. It just messes with your eyes. I've played sc2 in 3D at BlizzCon 2010 but it's reaaaalllly disorienting. 2D has distinct advantages.

BTW: just because the number is bigger doesn't make 3D better. It's not necessarily "next gen" stuff here. It's just different. You can play an mmo online and have no problem gauging distances and running around in your spatial environment. There is a third dimension to 2D games... just saying... 2D isn't only for side scroller mario games.

Reaction score
I totally hate word "gimmick". It means nothing. Absolutely nothing.

3D adds depth. Which is a good thing. If you like 2D so much, it's better to walk with one eye closed.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
3D is just another way of viewing everything. Some like it, some don't.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
3D isn't for me and it won't ever be. I hate it at the movies, I hate it on TVs and I hate it on PCs.

I'd rather spend a few hours watching TV then spend an hour and end up with a headache. The same goes for gaming.

sqrage

Reaction score
I totally hate word "gimmick". It means nothing. Absolutely nothing.

3D adds depth. Which is a good thing. If you like 2D so much, it's better to walk with one eye closed.

Why would it mean nothing? It does have a meaning believe it or not, look it up in the dictionary.

3D doesn't add depth in TV. 2D picture already has 3D depth. The "3D" offered for television screen isn't real 3D, just because certain things popout doesn't make it 3D. Walking with one eye closed doesn't make the world 2D anyway...

And to the person comparing 3D to crt -> lcd... that's not even a valid comparison. The drawbacks of CRT are countless. There are 0 drawbacks to "2D" television.

Reaction score
It no longer really means anything. Every new technology is being called gimmick nowadays, it has lost its meaning. Touch screens were a gimmick, motion controls were a gimmick, 3D with glasses is a gimmick, 3D without glasses is a gimmick...

3D adds depth. When some stuff is further away from some stuff, it has depth. I have no idea what "depth" means to you if not this.

I never compared anything. I was just saying that you people are afraid of new things. That's just how it is.

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The problem with 3D technology today is that their method of implementing it is pretty hackish. You see in 3D every day but don't get headaches from it, so I find it funny that the "3D" used in consumer products has this effect. Wake me up when 3D has actual depth (can focus on any part of the image, not just the current depth of field).

sqrage

Reaction score
>>3D adds depth. When some stuff is further away from some stuff, it has depth. I have no idea what "depth" means to you if not this.

Clearly you don't. 3D movies don't have depth, they have the illusion of depth, and quite a bad illusion of it at that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.