What will befall Manga if One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto ends?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Top mangaka Ken Akamatsu has stated his misgivings about the reliance of the manga industry on the shonen holy trinity of One Piece, Naruto and Bleach, and what would befall publishers if these series were to conclude.

After describing some of the worsening financial results posted by top manga publishers, he describes his uneasiness about the situation:
It’s all pretty dire, although manga won’t drop dead just yet.

However, they are relying on the bubble-like sales of a few titles – we have to wonder what would happen if in 3 years this bubble were to pop.

For example, will Jump’s One Piece, Naruto and Bleach continue for 3 years? We can’t really predict what will happen to them (and even if the publisher wants to continue them, the authors aren’t always able to).
The recent conclusion of the hugely popular Full Metal Alchemist brings this issue sharply into focus – not all series can be expected to continue indefinitely (Naruto in particular appears to have an eventual ending planned), and blockbuster successors for those which conclude have so far been conspicuously absent.

Other mangaka have complained the industry is not developing new talent – a particularly precarious state of affairs when considered in conjunction with reliance on a few blockbuster titles which could end with no replacement in sight.

Did any of you noticed that Full Metal Alchemist ended in the July issue of Shonen Gangan? I haven't seen any posts or threads about the franchise, and it would seem we are late of picking up on this news...

Last edited by a moderator:

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
In my opinion really nothing. Really, all of those series endings are so long over due.
All of my favorite animes all have come to an end and have a conclusion. Others become popular, and just because they finish doesn't mean people are said and done with them. People are going to keep coming back and looking at those series just as if they were Cowboy Bebop.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
One Piece will go strong for now. It's on a month break for a time skip.
Meaning new bigger better adventures.
Will probably run more than 2 years.

Bleach seems to be nearing an end but Tite Kubo confirmed a short and a long arc planned after this current one. So I can give it another year.

Naruto.. i dont read so I dont have info on that.

On the bright side, maybe, just maybe some new talent will come out after the Big Three end.
Seems everything is nearly overshadowed by them.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
the big three are only big because they were televised widely. A lot of people dont appreciate the smaller mangas (HOTD) that are really well made and are shoved under the shadow of the bigger mangas, i kinda hope that some of them end up falling, dont forget that mangas get a lot of advertisement if they get turned into an anime, there are only a few purists that prefer manga over anime...

Winterherz

Reaction score
from it's current storyline written, i would give Naruto 1 year...................

Naruto is getting close to him....

The inevitable is coming...

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
They could just let Naruto become the Hokage FINALLY and end the story

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.