What would you like in the Trigger Editor?

P

Persen

As some of you probably know, i'm making kind of a WE mod, and i would like some suggestions.

If you have any idea of what i could modify in the Trigger Editor, please post it.

Download!

Team Members
Persen - Team Leader / Programming
DotA-Crime - Programming, GUI
Im_on_56k - Programming, ideas
DreadLord - Ideas

Things added so far:
Some special effect actions (timed & "blast")
Delayed "Run trigger"
Preset Locals
Make Unit drop item on death
Increase/Decrease Item Charges
Destroy/Remove actions
Extra Models/Icons (The hidden ones)
Dummy Casters - YAY!
Handle variables - Discontinued (caused crashes), but implemented in JASS

Things to be added:

Things that maybe will be added:
Timers (JASS-Style)
Floating Text Timers
Trigger Locals (Simplified Handlevars attached to triggers)

H

Heptameron

Off the top of my head:
  • Add a "destroy group/preserve group" parameter to the Unit Group and Player Group "Pick Every" actions.
  • Add actions which destroy points, regions, player groups, units groups... basically anything.
  • Add a "run trigger in x seconds" action that uses a timer to do so.
More'll probably come to me later.

P

Persen

Ok thanks Heptameron, but what do you mean with

Add a "run trigger in x seconds" action that uses a timer to do so.

Basically a timed "run trigger"?

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Yea I think so.

But if you're doing something with a region, can't you just turn off the trigger that does it instead of destroying the region? Destroying things usually yields tons of leaking errors. A Timed run trigger, though, would be pretty nice.

If possible, add a "Unit within range of Unit" trigger that takes the list of "triggering units" or a unit variable. With this, one could do quite a few nice things, such as ordering a unit to "automatically" attack units within range of it when this said unit may not usually attack those units.

P

Persen

Destroying things == anti-leakage. I don't know if destroying regions is a good idea or if it will leak.

I will add destroy actions for points, groups, forces, and so on.
Heptameron's idea of a "automatically destroy group" was a good one, it will probably be included.

EDIT:

If possible, add a "Unit within range of Unit" trigger that takes the list of "triggering units" or a unit variable. With this, one could do quite a few nice things, such as ordering a unit to "automatically" attack units within range of it when this said unit may not usually attack those units.

Making the event accept a variable is pretty easy, but i don't know if it works.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Oh I know...! :D

Add, once again if possible, an action named "Halt Trigger" which turns it off and keeps it from making more than 1 of itself (I want the actions on the trigger to continue but I don't want the trigger to make several copies of itself all of which doing actions). I'm sure this would get pretty popular. One of the problems with just turning off a trigger is that you have to add lots of If Trigger Is On for a trigger that is rapidly used to stop.

One of the problems I had was with trying to add a fancy limit to the Taint ability (changed Black Arrow ability) instead of triggering the whole thing (which it now is) is that when the number of demon dogs exceeds 10 the constantly checking trigger decides it has exceeded 10 demon dogs and most kill current numbr of dogs minus 10 to get back to the safe number. Well, it's a constantly checking trigger, and therefore decides this at least three times before the first time erases the dogs. If I could halt the trigger, I'd be able to stop future trigger executions from developing while finishing the actions of this sole trigger.

P

Persen

Are you speaking in riddles or is it just me? (no offense)
That "Halt trigger" sounds interesting, could you explain a little further?

And oh, the "Timed trigger run" is complete...

Rad

Reaction score
If possible, add a "Unit within range of Unit" trigger that takes the list of "triggering units" or a unit variable

This does exist, use a Unit enters region, but for the region use Conversion - Point with size, point (Position of <YourUnit>) size (500x500).

A few things that I can think of, maybe find a way to let triggers have thier own variables that dont show up in variable list (Like local variables in JASS, but i dont know JASS :rolleyes: )

Another can be a better wait system, maybe a local timer that destroys itself completely in x seconds and allowing the rest of the actions to run.

Easy 2 use multi-player multiboards (As seen on Heroes and Empires)

Try to make a angle conversion that takes from point A to the angle of point B (Unless this does exist, if it does where is it I need it for 4 spells!)

OH I know what would make your editor better than the rest, make an action that is a recipe for items, it should have up to 6 item possibilities (And charge options) that give an item with x charges (or no charges at all), You could make 2, 1 called <Item combination> the other <Item combination (Charges)>. That way it would suppotr both Jungle Troll Tribes and Island troll tribes ;).

Maybe you could also make a simple extended inventory system, that adds the < and > inventory buttons that go from page A to B to C, 6 slots each and it adds the buttons to the hero (Under Stop and Hold Position)

H

Heptameron

Rinpun said:
Could you give us an example, just typed out like a trigger would look?

Rinpun said:
Add, once again if possible, an action named "Halt Trigger" which turns it off and keeps it from making more than 1 of itself (I want the actions on the trigger to continue but I don't want the trigger to make several copies of itself all of which doing actions). I'm sure this would get pretty popular. One of the problems with just turning off a trigger is that you have to add lots of If Trigger Is On for a trigger that is rapidly used to stop.
I'm kinda confused. Turning off a trigger prevents all events on it from firing, though it doesn't stop Run Trigger actions from working. So, which do you want? Something that prevents the trigger from starting itself again or that stops a trigger in the middle?

Rad said:
Another can be a better wait system, maybe a local timer that destroys itself completely in x seconds and allowing the rest of the actions to run.
That's exactly what a game-time wait is.

Edit: Handle variables would be nice too. :D

Rad said:
Try to make a angle conversion that takes from point A to the angle of point B (Unless this does exist, if it does where is it I need it for 4 spells!)
You mean Angle Between Points?

Persen said:
Destroying things == anti-leakage. I don't know if destroying regions is a good idea or if it will leak.
Come to think of it, I don't see any reason to allow regions to be removed. They're hardly ever dynamically created.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
I was thinking never mind, the "triggering unit" list (matching unit, picked unit, target unit of ability being cast...that whole list) wouldn't work unless there was an event above. However, letting it take a variable would be nice.

Yea I suppose, but the conditions may be horrendous >_>

I was mainly thinking in terms of TDs. One of my friends is making a map where he wants the creeps to be BLOCKED by the towers and ATTACK the towers, not run into them, stop, and start staring dumbly unsure.
----------

Well, the more that I think about it, the more that a Halt trigger MAY not be needed. I was mainly thinking of a Turn off Trigger, skip all remaining actions, and a special addition of stopping all existing executions of that trigger.

P

Persen

Handle vars is a good idea, i think i'll add that too.
Rad, what do you mean with that multiboard-thing?

(I don't play a lot of custom maps so i don't know very much about "things in those maps")

Maybe you could also make a simple extended inventory system, that adds the < and > inventory buttons that go from page A to B to C, 6 slots each and it adds the buttons to the hero (Under Stop and Hold Position)
Maybe... But then i'll need some "research" first...

EDIT: I've made a list of things in the first post.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Well you can look up Vex's inventory system. It'd be cool if you could build that into the map to work with an "inventory (multi-sheet)" ability that you add to the heroes you want to use it.

If possible (heheh), making a Special Effect Group variable would be sweet. At the moment, just making a Special Effect Array stinks because it takes up extra space with extra array slots when you want a random number of special effects made and eventually die. It'd be a lot more simple if you could just add Special Effect to SEGroup and then Pick all Special Effects in SEGroup and delete/destroy/kill (whatever it says) special effect.

the Lumpy

►►►
Reaction score
The trigger editor needs two seperate event responses for the "Unit comes within range" event. They could be "Approaching Unit" and "Approached Unit".

Here is an example of how they get used:
Code:
Select Hero
Events
    Unit - A unit comes within 100.00 of Circle of Power 0000
    Unit - A unit comes within 100.00 of Circle of Power 0001
    Unit - A unit comes within 100.00 of Circle of Power 0002
    Unit - A unit comes within 100.00 of Circle of Power 0003
    Unit - A unit comes within 100.00 of Circle of Power 0004
Conditions
    Unit-type of ([B]Approaching unit[/B]) is Equal to Selector
Actions
    If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        If - Conditions
            If (([B]Approached unit[/B]) is Equal to Circle of Power 0000
        Then - Actions
            Set PickedHeroType = Some Hero
            Unit - Kill ([B]Approaching unit[/B])
        Else - Actions
            If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                If - Conditions
                    If (([B]Approached unit[/B]) is Equal to Circle of Power 0000
                Then - Actions
                    Set PickedHeroType = Another Hero
                    Unit - Kill ([B]Approaching unit[/B])
                Else - Actions
                    etc. . .

The trigger editor could also use a way to get the number of a unit (like Circle of Power 0001). I need a unit array for all the units on the map and I would use the unit's number for the index of the array for that unit.

Rad said:
This is a function for real numbers; Math - Angle between points.

H

Heptameron

the Lumpy said:
The trigger editor needs two seperate event responses for the "Unit comes within range" event. They could be "Approaching Unit" and "Approached Unit".
Does (Triggering unit) return either of these? That's pretty much what he's limited to... adding a synonym for that.

the Lumpy said:
The trigger editor could also use a way to get the number of a unit (like Circle of Power 0001). I need a unit array for all the units on the map and I would use the unit's number for the index of the array for that unit.
You wouldn't be able to get "0001" specifically, but a general ID number would be good. Something like ModuloInteger(H2I(u), 8192)... trouble is there might be collisions.

Sargon

Reaction score
What map are you adding music to this time?

G

Ghoulfrenzy

Even a snippet of Custom Music can still take up a resonable amount of space....

Although a popular pastime is Sound Editing. Boy, is it awesome to edit music! :D Try importing "Power of the Horde" with pitch at 1.5! While your at it, try any song with a female lead singing it, and you'll soon have Alvin and his Chipmunks singing along! :D

-Ghoulfrenzy

H

Heptameron

MasterOfABCs said:
probly impossible but. what do i want in a WE? a trigger that shrinks music files.....
Impossible within WE.

Think about it. Triggers only run when the game is played. How could that possibly shrink down music?

You're looking for an audio editor, like Audacity.

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
sargon its not like a map im trying im trying to make n host. its for the cinematic contest. and i refuse to give up one my music!!! :D

Sargon

Reaction score
If it's for the contest, then the size doesn't matter. It's not like it's a multiplayer map.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.