What's that word when you ...?

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
When you say something but don't *specifically* mention other details or all of details?

For example:
Say I'm trying to buy a computer and I say it MUST be the cheapest there is and go post this on a forum asking for others opinions. Then I get some replies back saying...

Poster: "Oh get this computer, it's really cheap!"
Me: "I've heard about them, they may be cheap but not very reliable."
Poster: "Well you said you wanted cheap, you never said you wanted it to be reliable as well!"
Me: "Well of course I want it to be reliable, how else will it last?!"
Poster: "Well if that is so, why didn't you mention so? If you don't mention it, I assume all you want is cheap and nothing else/more"
Me: "Well I thought it was common sense to be also trying to get something cheap AND reliable and hence there was no need to include said detail...."
... [and the argument goes on...]

I had a similar experience(my experience was that he was trading away some stuff, and said he wanted this in return for this, and I offer him something else instead, and he goes did u not read? I want this. And I reply with well you didn't specifically mention you do NOT want other offers, and so I presumed it was ok to offer you something else.....and yeah it goes from there..) and someone actually posted a link to wikipedia(which explained it all - including a word/phrase that defines this exact *thing*...) but I forgot what it was called so I can't really google said word up for said wikipedia page nor I know where said post was anymore....probably deleted now..:(:confused:

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
implicit? imply?
Hmmm, ...mmmm....no, that's not the word I'm after/looking for...though it does define this... I think it must have been a phrase then....I remember reading that the origins was from Greek.....there was picture of something to the right(I can't remember what the pictures was of, or about but I do remember seeing an illustration of sorts on the right of something...) and like a wall of text on wikipedia....but damn if I only I can find that page again! :D

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
omission? also don't rely on common sense, be as explicit as possible (especially for buisness transactions, i.e. buying a laptop, and also when talking with someone who you don't know, i.e. a freind who knows your habbits and understand what you mean even if you don't say it)

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
omission? also don't rely on common sense, be as explicit as possible (especially for buisness transactions, i.e. buying a laptop, and also when talking with someone who you don't know, i.e. a freind who knows your habbits and understand what you mean even if you don't say it)
Hmmm....keep going...

Well yes, you should be as explicit as possible, but some sellers/traders just assume you already know this stuff.....:confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.