World What's wrong with eating dog meat?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Barbecued dog and steamed paws?

These and so much more were to be had at this weekend's dog meat festival near Seoul.

Alas, it was not to be.

Animal rights activists put up such a stink that the organizers, from the Korea Dog Farmers' Association, said there was no way they could go through with the event.

"We couldn't possibly go on with the plan due to endless phone calls of complaint ... now there are few willing to rent us a place for the event," Ann Yong-Geun, a professor of nutrition at Chung Cheong University and an advisor to the association, told AFP.

Last edited:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont like this.
Tomorrow they might come to us and forbid to eat potatoes or tomatoes.

why not? where is the difference between dogs and pigs or cows?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing really except that a bunch of societies keeps dogs and cats as pets. So it is psychologically messed up to them to eat those. Koreans tend to eat anything with 4 legs. That comes straight from the mouth of a Korean friend of mine. It is just societal differences.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Oh Crap! That's definitely the most sick,disturbing thing I've heard again.

said there was no way they could go through with the event.
Haha :thup:

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
The thought of eating a dog or a cat is pretty disturbing to me. :| Even if it may be logically the same as eating cow or pig... it just doesn't seem right. On the other hand, I don't think it's realistic to stop an event like this because of that phobia. o_O;; These people didn't have to attend the event.

Grymlax

Probably not around
Reaction score
personally I don't have a problem with people eating dogs. I've actually read that pigs are smarter than dogs when it comes to problem solving, so in that way I think its worse to eat pigs. Just too bad that bacon tastes sooo good.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
There are things in the world far worse then koreans eating dogs.
I cant imagine that cultural food traditions can be overcome by conservative western mindset but african children starving to death is *just* sad but we do nothing but watch.
Or chinese children being abused to craft cheap low quality goods for our markets, its sad, but that doesnt mean we wont buy it anymore. but if a korean tries to conduct his cultural traditions THATS messed up!

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
the only thing that I would have issues with is where those dogs come from

"Korea Dog Farmers' Association"

Farms... just like every other animal that is eaten

--------

Animal rights activists are on the same level as lady gaga in terms of attention whoring. why the fuck are they intervening in these matters. they have a different culture get the fuck over it and deal with the fact that not everyone shares the same god damn motherfucking opinion as you. fuck. these people actually piss me off. when was the last time they stopped people from eating cows? cows are considered holy in india, why dont they stop us from eating cows here then? because this is our culture? fucking hypocrites. FUCK.

-----------------------------------

@Firecat: are you a vegan?

FireCat

Reaction score
There are things in the world far worse then koreans eating dogs.
We can't really compare what's worse and not in this issue.

sad but we do nothing but watch.
First of all, that's not entirely true
And blame africa’s corrupted leaders it's their fault.

Or chinese children being abused to craft cheap low quality goods for our markets, its sad, but that doesnt mean we wont buy it anymore
Agree! It's awful.
It's all about $$$ but that can happen everywhere as well.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
We can't really compare what's worse and not in this issue.
maybe you cant compare but i can. in my opinion (and subjective opinions are the only ones humans can have) people who starve to death is far worse then koreans who eat dogs. dont know how you think about it.

First of all, that's not entirely true
And blame africa’s corrupted leaders it's their fault.

Africas leaders are not more responsible for this as the european union which is subsidizing european farmers like crazy so that any food growing on our farms is by far cheaper then food grown in africa is and thats why their farmers are not able to make any money out of their food.
its cheaper in afrika to buy european food then to grow any by themselfs because of our crazy system.

FireCat

Reaction score
dont know how you think about it..
Both are worse. Just a dog isn't food to eat.

Africas leaders are not more responsible for this as the european union which is subsidizing european farmers like crazy so that any food growing on our farms is by far cheaper then food grown in africa is and thats why their farmers are not able to make any money out of their food.
its cheaper in afrika to buy european food then to grow any by themselfs because of our crazy system.
Sure they are responsible for their own country and and thats why people starve to death Just because they lack amounts of money and material possession. Just because Africas leaders take all the money. If they wanted to help their own people they would do it.

Seriously, africa needs to stand on its feet. No?

Well, what do you think of homeless people? Don't they starve?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
>Just a dog isn't food to eat.
But it is in some cultures....

I don't have a problem with people eating dog meat. As already stated, it's just a different culture. If we kept cows and pigs as pets maybe we would feel the same way as people do about dogs. It's just how we percieve the different animals.

Anyway, we can't help it if dogs are tasty for Koreans. It's like saying no more bacon for me :(

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
the one difference between cows / pigs / dogs is that dogs are carnivores, and as such, there is an additional step in the food chain (grass -> cow -> dog) which makes it more inefficient to just farm breed them for food

chanta45

Reaction score
This is a pile of bullshit. I can't believe people are THAT ignorant in imposing their culture onto others.

Bunch of bullshit, you wouldn't go up to a tradition-based tribe and say "Don't eat that dog! We love dogs!" It's SO F***ing ignorant.

I love dogs and cats, I have and still do own both, but I would still eat them. Why? Because they are animals and we need some shape of protein in our diet. People have had cows and pigs and a multitude of other stock animals for pets, all animals are capable of bonds with humans, and just because in OUR culture we don't like eating certain animals doesn't mean people have ANY right to ride the ass on another countries festival. It honestly just blows my mind.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Solution: we all become vegetarians.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. i aint givin up bacon, are you kidding me?

please, just look at these pics and tell me you still feel that that is a solution:

bacon.png

bacon-1.jpg

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
People in China people eat anything with 4 "legs" apart from automobiles, and anything that flies, apart from airplanes and helicopters. That's the truth!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.