What's your 2012 Game of the year?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Well, the year is coming to an end :cool: So what was your favorite game this year?
Any big standouts? Any disappointment of the year?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Gothic, the original.
Was released 10 years ago but it was among the few games i played this year, and definitely the one i enjoyed the most.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Golf because I can drink and drive safely.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Life.

I play it every day :rolleyes:

Varine

Reaction score
I change mine to Jenga, which ideally would be played while golfing and drunk, because Jenga is really fun. I'm also a fan of Connect Four and Gears of War LARPing.

Not a big fan of life, I play it too, but only because I can't figure out how to change the disk in RL. I always seem to get stuck with the shitty outcomes, I think people are modding and taking all the good ones, like Obama. Can he be stopped? No, because he has a hardmod and apparently autoaim,

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I immensely enjoyed Faster Than Light. It's also one of the few games I played that were actually released in 2012 (I would say Arkham City but that's 2011). FTL for 2012! :)
At first glance i thought FTL was very good too. But soon i had to realize its a little bit short in terms of content.
The concept is nice but it feels like they stopped half-way through with it.
For example: It would be nicer if you could build up your own space ship. Like the positions of the systems and stuff.
For $10 i would NOT recommend FTL. For $5 i would, but not for 10. It gets boring after a few run throughs and playing it through doesnt take very long.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
At first glance i thought FTL was very good too. But soon i had to realize its a little bit short in terms of content.
The concept is nice but it feels like they stopped half-way through with it.
For example: It would be nicer if you could build up your own space ship. Like the positions of the systems and stuff.
For $10 i would NOT recommend FTL. For $5 i would, but not for 10. It gets boring after a few run throughs and playing it through doesnt take very long.

Maybe it got boring for you, I found it fun and challenging to try and beat it with every ship, and to unlock every ship. So far, I think I'm missing 3 ships and I've beat it with all of the ships that I have, on Easy difficulty. I haven't yet tried to beat it on normal difficulty, but I probably will my next time.

I think there's definitely room to expand on the game. As it is, it's fairly balanced (as much as a rogue-like can be). The content might be small, but it's definitely worth the $10, IMO.

This game jumped up to my third most-played game on steam:
xgtFAki.png

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it got boring for you, I found it fun and challenging to try and beat it with every ship, and to unlock every ship. So far, I think I'm missing 3 ships and I've beat it with all of the ships that I have, on Easy difficulty. I haven't yet tried to beat it on normal difficulty, but I probably will my next time.

I think there's definitely room to expand on the game. As it is, it's fairly balanced (as much as a rogue-like can be). The content might be small, but it's definitely worth the $10, IMO.

This game jumped up to my third most-played game on steam:
I think it depends on how much money you have and how much you are ready to pay for games.
Over the course of the weekend you could get magicka for $2.5. You can get games like gothic II for $5, or morrowind for $10.
All of those are much more worth the money in my opinion.
Again, the game aint bad, but the price is too high for me.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
beginning of the year: Skyrim, Starcraft 2
middle of the year: Saints Row 3rd, Starcraft 2
end of the year: Fallout 3/ Fallout New Vegas, Starcraft 2

Darthfett

Reaction score
July 27, 2010: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
November 11, 2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
November 15, 2011: Saints Row: The Third
October 28, 2008: Fallout 3
October 19, 2010: Fallout: New Vegas
2008: Dear Esther
August 6, 2008: Braid
September 14, 2012: FTL: Faster Than Light

So far we have one candidate for TH's 2012 game of the year award. FTL: Faster Than Light wins by default! :p

EDIT:

I see there is a newer game named Dear Esther released 14th February 2012, so that makes it between these two games.

DM Cross

Reaction score

So far we have one candidate for TH's 2012 game of the year award. FTL: Faster Than Light wins by default! :p

Is the question favorite game RELEASED in 2012? Or PLAYED in 2012?

If played, then definitely Skyrim for me. I lost HOURS on that thing, getting my wood elf Ranger up to the 60s.

Varine

Reaction score

Dear Esther isn't 2008.

Darthfett

Reaction score
Dear Esther isn't 2008.

Ah, I see google lied to me (Googling "Dear Esther release date" claims 2008, but I guess that is for a different game with the same name). Given that I have never heard of it before, I don't feel bad about this.

Is the question favorite game RELEASED in 2012? Or PLAYED in 2012?

If played, then definitely Skyrim for me. I lost HOURS on that thing, getting my wood elf Ranger up to the 60s.

I don't think it's fair to say games played in 2012, since this could result in some games winning every year.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to say games played in 2012, since this could result in some games winning every year.

Doesn't that just mean we need to start making better new games? :)

Varine

Reaction score
Ah, I see google lied to me (Googling "Dear Esther release date" claims 2008, but I guess that is for a different game with the same name). Given that I have never heard of it before, I don't feel bad about this.

It was originally a mod, but I never played that and a mod doesn't really count as a game. They have their own awards.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.