What's Your Favorite Editor?

Your Editor(s).

• Total voters

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
(I'm making a new thread, the old one is nearly a year old.)

Title says it. IDEs and / or editors. I'm currently using a mixture of Notepad++ (until my current project is done) and vim, and I'm transitioning over to vim fully.

RgwQF.png Dp1Ek.png

For Notepad++, I'm using the Monokai theme, with only the ZenCoding plugin (not including the plugins that comes preinstalled).

For vim, I'm using the Mustang theme, with the following plugins: Pathogen, delimitMate, closetag, vim-surround, NERDCommenter, NERDTree, Tagbar, cssfix (sorry, I can't find the link.), csscolor, and vim-fugitive.

Both editors use the DejaVu font (Sans Mono) @ 10px.

Note: vim is actually gVim, but I've disabled most of the UI components (menubars, taskbar, etc.).

(PS: I'll add the editors posted here to the poll.)

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I voted for all of the above except emacs:
vi/vim I've been using for javascript, various text editing, some python, and some bash.
Notepad++ I've been using only for vJass, which I haven't been actively doing.
eclipse I've been using for some python, and Java.

I also used QT Creator a bit for C++, and I think you should include it among others in the poll, such as Visual Studio, PSPad, gedit, which I've used, as well as netbeans, notepad, etc.

I haven't done much C++ (yet), but I found QT Creator in my limited use to be very useful, work well, and have some excellent tools (such as built-in debugging (even for running javascript files on top of the C++), hotkeys to switch between header and source files, and customizable build sequences/types).

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For Web Development (PHP, HTML, Javascript, and some other small stuff) I find the best editor I've ever had the pleasure of working with is Coda. Without Coda, I go crazy, it's just so awesome. It's syntax highlighting is superior to anything I've seen before, the color scheme is so much more graceful and really changed how I highlight my code everywhere. The integration with FTP is amazing, I edit my site as if it's just saved on my HDD. Coda is a must have for everyone. Regrettably, it is OS X only.

For other stuff, I use XCode for 2D graphics stuff with C++, and it's actually growing on me. Using it is sort of nice, it flows very well.

apple fanboy reporting in

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Qt Creator for C++, Visual Studio for everything else. If Visual Studio doesn't support it, I hax it.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
@azareus, I tried using Eclipse (well, Aptana 3), but could never get used to it. Code::Blocks was quite nice though. I enjoyed using that when I was learning some C++ (though I did never finish learning it. :D)

@Vestras, VS is decent, but I would prefer C::B for C/++ (or vim + make and gcc).
@tooltiperror, I wish they could port Coda to Windows. I've used a little bit of it, and it's quite nice (I didn't fully explore it though. :/).

Also, POST SCREENS OF YOUR SETUPS (and plugins / addons / extensions / themes / etc.), OR ELSE!

Also, it seems I can't edit the poll, so could a mod do that, please?

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
Notepad++ for local/FTP development
VIM on Linux boxes that have no FTP or for editing/viewing other files such as httpd.conf, logs, ...

For NPP, I use the ZenCoding and Explorer plug-ins

Edit: My 1000th post :eek:

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
>You still owe me for telling you about Coda
No? I found Coda by google. You told me how to "acquire" it ;)

markasoftware

Reaction score
I use komodo edit. It has tons of languages supported, syntax checking (it will put a squiggly red line under bad code), dozens of themes, autocomplete, and is has a lot of other features as well.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Any editors that support Content Assist/IntelliSense. Anything else is of little importance.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
xmlspy - it has a "pretty" button, although VI and notepad++ and eclipse also make the list, depending on what is being worked on

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
I use NP++ for when I just want to open the damn source file but don't want herp-derp bloat to be loaded into RAM.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Use Eclipse and Notepad++, i have netbeans but i dont really use it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.