What's Your Style of Writing?

Whats your style of writing? (can pick more then one)

• 1st

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 3rd

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Telling it like it's History

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Like your there

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Your the main character (not JUST 1st but you really ARE)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Like telling a story you were just told

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (This is a broad one, so possibly do a reply and tell)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I don't write in one style or the other, when it comes to 1rst or 3rd person. I write both ways.

HOWEVER! as for style in the sense of becoming the characters and such, I tend to write from one character's point of view, and switch around depending on which characters are in the current scene and the level of importance each character currently there ranks.

In Corruption, Brant, a Lycan, goes looking for Alexander. While he's looking, you read from his point of view. Then Alexander pops up, and I slowly move to speak from Alexander's point of view. Why? Alexander's the main character of the book. Thus, he's more important.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
i cant say, iv never really written a book. as far as i go is 6 pages.

and thats usually a third person story about a biological weapon that created chaos threw the region. " AKA my last story witch was a English assignment"

soo third person and first person some times . but i use first person only when i do chapter that switch from character to character.

edit=-------------------------------------------------------

yea i guess i do what Alexander does. switch from char depending on the situation.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Read the "writing tips" thread, it has some great tips on writing (rotfl), especially on doing characters. I just think in 1st person you get much more feeling about the story, but the actual plot is detracted a little.

True about 2nd person, but still, It just sounds stupid when you read it, atleast to me. (no offense to goosebumps) (lol)

True Seth, if you explain from more then one characters point of view, 1) you can get the story from many more angles 2) you can get much more information on how everyone feels 3) more interesting

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Yes i do that too in Arcane Corruption. One paragraph its third person-Luna, next could be third person-tharon. its usualy who ever talks in that paragraph.

For Examples:
“What is a night elf doing in the elven city Territh? Your kind was banished after the elven war!” Tharon’s tone of voice didn’t match the way he looked. Although his voice was giving the sound of authority and power, his face was filled with curiosity. “Were you the one who brought that vampire here?” Slipping into the realm of nature, speaking out to the earth, he prepared for the worst, but hoped for the best as he eagerly awaited her response.

“Please. I am not an enemy! I tried to fight of the vampire and save the elves here. I was trying to help. It was not me in the elven war, nor was it any of the other night elves but it was out ancestors. We are not responsible for the war but we live with the consequences.” Luna spoke as she tried to ignore the searing pain going through her arm and now into her chest. She has heard druids had healing powers but to ask for aid was a sign of weakness, she cannot disappoint her father, not after what he did for her.

It focuses around the main characters of that pararaph i guess you could say.

--------------

I never liked reading in first person. Mainly because i dont like reading "I" and "me" out of quotations.:p

Halahan

Reaction score
lol...

I always thought writing like your telling the history helped give the story a more solid level and feel, since your telling about what is happening, not focusing AS much on the characters.

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
HOWEVER! as for style in the sense of becoming the characters and such, I tend to write from one character's point of view, and switch around depending on which characters are in the current scene and the level of importance each character currently there ranks.

This is why I prefer third person. However, in another childhood book of mine, Animorphs, I believe it did this with first person. It was cool at times, but also annoying at times.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Just wanna say that the Animorphs rocked :D Man, it's been awhile since I read one of those :)

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
I always enjoy using the give "the begining or the end" in the first page or so.

It's an excellent hook.

I enjoy writing from a protagonists outlook who takes a short fall into the anatagonists view point and then comes back to way things "should" be.

The plot line's message in my opinion can be rather increased this way.

Halahan

Reaction score
It's always hard to balance the amount of information you give that makes the reader want to read on and the amount of mystery that makes the reader want to keep reading.

Luckily I have always been pretty good at that. Sometimes I seem to give the information or Plot away a bit to fast though.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
It's always hard to balance the amount of information you give that makes the reader want to read on and the amount of mystery that makes the reader want to keep reading.

Luckily I have always been pretty good at that. Sometimes I seem to give the information or Plot away a bit to fast though.

Yes, as demenstrated by The Elite. But! that doesn't meen its bad, as lnog as you add more throughout the story, giving more to the story, it can turn out much better.

Tonks

Reaction score
(The length required is a page and a half, but I can't just SToP the story right in the middle) lol...

I was in the same situation a while back.
The required length was 2 pages.. I wrote 8 ;)
I think I posted the story in the Writer's Corner here.

Halahan

Reaction score
lol actually it was supposed to be 1 and a half spaces DOUBLE spaced rotfl so I had nineteen pages :D

She had very low standards... but that works for me because she says im a fabulous writer... lol (seventh grade teacher)

Lord_Kakashi

The Wabbits are attacking
Reaction score
Personally i prefere to write 3rd person narrator from the main characters point of view meaning that the narrator is on the "main characters side" and you still get a view into the characters feelings :)

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Honestly I think we should all try new styles of writing. I used different styles in both of the unfinished stories I submitted to TH. I think this is a good talent for all writers to be able to write both ways. You never know when you'd need one skill to write a story, or report. I say go for all writing styles.

Halahan

Reaction score
I really like that Lord Kakashi, and Ninva... My story, "The Elite," (posted on TH) I was thinking about today, and it seemed a little too... unimotional telling... not enough feeling in it... if you want read it and tell me.. but im gonna try to get some more feeling into it. I usually write like im telling what has already happened, but never written down, but that sometimes is to dry... maybe i'll try more what you said Lord Kakashi (although I do do some of what EVERYONE says)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.