When is a person a programmer?

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Well the title tells it all:

When is a person a programmer?

Your thoughts and input, I'd like to hear what others think!

My opinion: A person is a programmer when he/she can create an application which serves a purpose that can be useful for her/him and others.

//==GooS

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
when you can turn your will into functional computer code with the assistance of caffeine

or when you start ending up 1 short compared to everyone else when counting

whichever comes first (im kidding here, but GooS already has the "normal" answer)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe a person should be considered a programmer when they can create an application with little or no help from others.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
I believe a person should be considered a programmer when they can create an application with little or no help from others.

That'd be a professional programmer, imo.

A normal one would require help every now and then

And a newbie programmer would require help often

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well I got a job making sites and online applications that submit and retrieve information using php and mysql. I guess that makes me a Programmer? :confused:

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
"Q: When is a person a programmer?
A: When he doesn't ask TH for programming help..."

-AceHart

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
Well I got a job making sites and online applications that submit and retrieve information using php and mysql. I guess that makes me a Programmer? :confused:
That would make you a scripter or webdesigner, in my opinion. A programmer programs in high level languages. It doesn't have to be useful or not.

"Q: When is a person a programmer?
A: When he doesn't ask TH for programming help..."

-AceHart
Every programmer needs help, so that is kinda a wrong thing to say that you can't post around on TH for questions. With a scripting language, there is a limit of what you can do. In a high level language, there is not.

On a second note, a programmer must fully understand the flow of the code, scopes, functions, everything before he can call him\her self a programmer.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
Every programmer needs help, so that is kinda a wrong thing to say that you can't post around on TH for questions. With a scripting language, there is a limit of what you can do. In a high level language, there is not.

On a second note, a programmer must fully understand the flow of the code, scopes, functions, everything before he can call him\her self a programmer.

You contradicted yourself.

Xorifelse

Reaction score
You contradicted yourself.
Depends on your point of view

> A programmer programs in high level languages. It doesn't have to be useful or not.

On a second note, a programmer "who writes his code in a high level language which is stated above" must fully understand the flow of the code, scopes, functions, everything before he can call him\her self a "real" programmer.

However, I do see what you mean. Just forgot adding the "real" towards it.
Everybody can mess around in Visual Studio, and make yourself a program. But that doesn't make you a real one.
If you understand everything, than it's just a simple matter of syntax experience.
But having that, doesn't have to make you a programmer nonetheless, it's the basics before that.

For example, if I fully understood c++ and I'm beginning to learn a new language such as Python, does my title of programmer just vanish?
So by my definition of the word programmer, is someone who understands the flow of the code and is able to interact with that.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
> A programmer programs in high level languages.

I would consider a person who programs in jass as more of a programmer then someone who programs in GUI, if they created a program that does the same thing - high level = highly abstracted and inefficient, think of like a game-making program that already does 99% of the things for you

edit: just felt like using wc3 examples, your right it's not quite the best example, I thought just leaving what i quoted at that would be misleading

low-level is what more advanced/experienced programmers work on

Xorifelse

Reaction score
> I would consider a person who programs in jass as more of a programmer then someone who programs in GUI ( Mean trigger editor? Everybody programs in a GUI these days, I believe )

Wrong, Jass is not a programming language, it is a scripting language. It would make him a scripter, not a programmer.
A high level language, is a syntax that can be converted by a compiler to a lower level language, such as Assembly or binary. This is programming 1 : 1.

> think of like a game-making program that already does 99% of the things for you

Right, Using a tool such as game maker, is merely a cover ( like the trigger editor ) with a lot of pre-programed routines, making it easier to create a game. Such as Visual Studio makes it easier to build GUI applications. But knowing how to operate such tools doesn't make you a programmer, as I said before.

> low-level is what more advanced/experienced programmers work on

I was hopefully clear what I meant with high\low level programming :eek:, because that is just wrong! :p

Reaction score
Scripting languages are programming languages, and programming in a high-level language is not a necessary characteristic of a programmer. C is nowadays considered a low-level language, but that does not mean that someone who programs exclusively in C is not a programmer.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Scripting languages are programming languages, and programming in a high-level language is not a necessary characteristic of a programmer. C is nowadays considered a low-level language, but that does not mean that someone who programs exclusively in C is not a programmer.

Actually I think C is more of a middle level language.

Xorifelse

Reaction score
> Scripting languages are programming languages
I'm hoping that you just haven't wiki'ed that, because that is metaphorically speaking. Or are you claiming that JavaScript, Jass or even a spreadsheet formula is a programming language? Because, most certainly they are not.

> programming in a high-level language is not a necessary characteristic of a programmer
Sure, programming assembly is quite common in C\C++. Especially if you're creating hacks for games. Perhaps I was a little hasty saying that programmers program only in high level languages, but as I later stated that lower level languages is programming 1 : 1, the basics of everything in "programming".

> C is nowadays considered a low-level language
I'm sorry, I totally and I mean TOTALLY disagree in that statement. If it was a lower level language, you either program in assembly or binary. Pick your choice, and you will see that this is a high level language.

> Actually I think C is more of a middle level language.
I have little to no experience with C, but I do know that middle level languages do not exist. Since it is most certainly not a lower level language, conciser it a high level language, rather people like it or not.
Or just go ahead and create this wiki and perhaps they will accept it :p

Edit:
I just read some things about C, and just because it has easy access to memory doesn't make it a low level language, c++ has this access to, in fact you can execute direct ASM code in there and c++ is clearly known as a high level language. So why on earth the confusion that C is a low level language?

Reaction score
JavaScript and Jass are both programming languages. Scripting languages are programming languages by definition. There is really no room to move on this. It's like saying that apples are not a fruit.

The terms "high-level" and "low-level" denote differing levels of abstraction from the basic workings of the computer. The standard against which these things are judged is not absolute. C might have been considered high-level 30 years ago, but it can certainly be considered low-level by today's standards.

EDIT:

I just read some things about C, and just because it has easy access to memory doesn't make it a low level language, c++ has this access to, in fact you can execute direct ASM code in there and c++ is clearly known as a high level language. So why on earth the confusion that C is a low level language?

C++ is not clearly known as a high-level language. It has high-level features (e.g. dynamic dispatch, templates) but retains most of the low-level characteristics of C. That is why the poster above refers to it as a "medium level" language.

Edit2: He actually said C, my bad. C++ is commonly known as a mid-level language though. C can barely be classified as such due to the absence of high-level features, however.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.