Where do you think the maps are located?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
In Warcraft 3, when you go online and download custom maps, they are placed in the Maps/Download folder.

Blizzard made maps are located in the Maps folder.

----------------------------------------------------------------

According to some SC2 forums out there, there isn't any Maps folder for SC2. Actually, I don't have proof that the Map folder for SC2 exist or anything. It probably have to do with the No-LAN implementation.

So, to beta testers, where do you think the maps are located?

Orgasm

Reaction score
I say it most likely has something to do with Battle.net 2.0. I don't know though.

But, it doesn't matter. There's already been maps extracted from MPQ files most likely.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
There is a folder under c:\users\(name)Documents\StarCraft II Beta\Maps\ (in Windows Vista/7) but it doesn't contain files that look like the full map. They just have some files called hardtile.bin which are really small. The maps seem to be downloaded from bnet as needed.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Might be some prevention in getting free Premium Maps...

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
As to my understanding maps are downloaded through bnet but cached on the local computer in some obscure directory.
That...is probably the reason why it needed a much higher system requirements.

128 MB for the graphics...that's 4 times higher than Warcraft 3. :(

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
That...is probably the reason why it needed a much higher system requirements.

128 MB for the graphics...that's 4 times higher than Warcraft 3. :(

Except I'm sure most of the people who want to play SC2 have more than 128 MB in their GPU.....

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local settings\Application Data\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache\xx\yy\

xx is the first two letters in the maps name and yy is the third and fourth letter in the maps name. The maps name is not "Lost temple" or anything like that. It's a long string that looks randomized. To find out the name of a map, go to http://sc2.nibbits.com/maps/browse/blizzard/ and search for the map you're looking for.

Example: Scrap station got the file name "98f33a87ec8aae99177c11ee6f1e2a42ea9249f536b83859668a2cc97db228c0.s2ma"(Just copied some of it since it's only the beginning that is important)

If you look in "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local settings\Application Data\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache\98\f3\" You'll find a file called "98f33a87ec8aae99177c11ee6f1e2a42ea9249f536b83859668a2cc97db228c0.s2ma"

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
It appears official, premium, and fully-published maps will have the cache method and some other method of encryption or protection. The rest will probably just go into the maps folder like any wc3 map.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
That is one fine encryptive way of protecting the map...

Guess Premium Maps are going to co-exist with other custom made maps. :(

FannyShaver

Reaction score
People will find out how to break it, no worries. I actually played beta once, and because I am not really into SC I couldn't really care. All I wanted to see was Galaxy Editor, which isn't in beta pack :mad:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.