Where shall i work on the most?

Which part/s shall I work on the most?

• Total voters

Happy

Reaction score
hey all....

I'm currently working on a really big project (can be found here ^^) and ive got a question...

Which part shall i work on the most and why?

because the map will have masses of custom heroes, items, spells, functions, modes....and so on :D and working on every part as hard as on each other would break the limits...

i made a poll for the which parts thingi and ask you to write down the why....

thanks in advance

greetz happy

RangerX

I am justice!
Reaction score
i chosed Items Modes functions and AI cuz heroes and spells are easier and more fun to do ... [i always start with things that i don't like to do so when i finish to to this things i can really enjoy making the map :)

Gev

Reaction score
Hi. Here some advise from me to you, as i got that like mape and worked on it 3 years and still doing some ballance. First create 10-15 total heroes with some base warcraft skills and states, then start working on terrain doodads and scripting(hero reviving sistem, item recipes, dules, bosses mods, gameplay(movespeed cheack, doubleclick on TP auto teleport to home and so)), then you can start ballancing the heroes, skills, add skills and so...
Thanks.

Happy

Reaction score
@RangerX : AI, functions and modes aren't much fun....you're right ^^ at least AI and modes will be just some so there's no problem ^^ the functions are massive so thats much more work^^ and items are fun for me :D but because of the large number of items they will be much work too....but okay i understand your point ^^ i will try to make these points perfect :D:D:D

@Gev : i don't really understand what you try to tell me :confused: if you wanna tell me that balancing is the hardest thing in the map i conform completely...but i dont really get what you wanna tell me to work on the most and why....:D

@you both : +rep for you 2....and thanks xD

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I think that you shouldn't ever neglect any of these categories, and I think the poll shows that overall, people want everything.

If you really want to know what you should work on, you should look at what needs it most. If you're in lack of interesting and fun items, replace an existing one, or add a new one. If you have a poor selection of heroes, work on one of the existing ones, or add one. If you're in lack of something entertaining, add a unique element to the game, and change something that caused it to be repetitive.

You'll need to take into account how much work something will take to do, though. Adding a hero isn't a simple task, as spells are a LOT of work, as is balancing. AI is a huge project to tackle, and unless the game suffers from extreme balance issues with imbalanced teams, I wouldn't recommend it.

Adding something for the sake of adding something isn't going to make your map any better. Instead, try and evaluate where your map fails to entertain, and work on that.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
My option is not on your poll. :C

If you really can't think of what YOU need to work on, then you're in trouble.

@Darthfett

tl;dr but I totally agree.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
it doesn't matter, but balancing should be the last thing you should do

I mean, how can you balance something that isn't finished yet? maybe you'll balance some heroes and items, but then decide later to completely remake them and do the balancing all over again

balancing requires a lot of testing, so it's pointless

Happy

Reaction score
okay seems like my question has been misunderstood....

the question was not where my map needs work? the question should be which part is of great importance for you?

i hope now the answers are a bit more what i need ^^ :D

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
I would say tooltips. The pain it is to read text that makes your eyes bleed, or when you get unmodified tooltips, because the maker was too lazy to go beyond modifying the footman's HP and DMG.

Tooltip error is annoying because it really shows the depreciation and little effort.

Once again it is not in the poll. ._.

Happy

Reaction score
sry for that Hydra but the poll would be about 100 points long if i would have listed everything :D

but thanks for the tip anyways xD

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
okay seems like my question has been misunderstood....

If you're referring to my post, I still don't think it has. The part that is of greatest importance to me is that it is fun, and not repetitive. Fun games get me playing, and its lack of being repetitive would make want to continue playing. I don't restrict this to a specific genre, as there are certain minor things about every map that makes it fun. There are several maps that have tons of content, such as modes, heroes, spells, items, eye-candy, terraining, etc. that I don't want to play, so it's not simply having those that makes the game fun.

Generally, you are your worst critic. You see the worst parts of everything you've made, but you can also have fun with things you create. It's these sorts of things that I try and emphasize. What makes it fun for YOU. It's hard to listen to feedback from others, as sometimes a bias or simply lack of good vocabulary will allow the person giving feedback to truly express what they do and don't like. Sometimes they don't even know.

My general refusal to answer your question with a list of options from your poll is simply my way of saying that I think polls like these are pointless. I tried to express in my previous post that this is a case of that saying "you can't please everyone," as you do not have the time, and there is no way to please two people who want opposing things.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.