Where to buy Nuon games+demos Discs ?

litoskin

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
i'm looking for one or two copies of nuon games+demos discs i have see that they are not available anymore to cafèpress store .Anyone is able to help me in finding them?
Thanks
Marco

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cafepress discontinued their CD manufacturing service so it's not available anymore. Anyone know of a similar on-demand service? I could maybe get it back up and available if there's something comparable out there.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully we will get a re-release of this with signing tools working now... Fingers Crossed!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I think we should go a different direction with this. I think we should do a new one. I am pretty sure we can get Dragonshadow's source on the Menu Loader System and do a DVD Release. I would lean towards using Songbird as a Publisher as Carl has all the experience and tools to get this stuff done but he is so busy....

I think we should try and get something out NOW! Decaying Orbit is my pick!

V-SNES

NUON Lover!
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I think we should go a different direction with this. I think we should do a new one. I am pretty sure we can get Dragonshadow's source on the Menu Loader System and do a DVD Release. I would lean towards using Songbird as a Publisher as Carl has all the experience and tools to get this stuff done but he is so busy....

I think we should try and get something out NOW! Decaying Orbit is my pick!
Was Decaying Orbit originally intended to be released on its own? This was the impression I got when I read about the game on Dragonshadow's website. Also if you recall, I was under the impression that it never got physically released until you pointed out that it was released on the Nuon Demos + Games disc. I'd definitely be down for a new physical release of Decaying Orbit.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
It is worth releasing on its own? The fact it was on a demo CD was a travesty. What Dragonshadow did to port the Playstation stuff is so unrecognized. I wish I was so into it back then as I was today and I might have been able to focus that but for now I think Decaying Orbit is all we have. But yes, it is a whole game.

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
Hey thanks! Technically, it's the first of planned five chapters, but I ran out of space on the Yaroze so stopped at the first set of levels.

I revisited the game for a game jam a work a few years ago. I called it Decaying Orbit Arena. You can play it here, though there seems to be a texture problem with the shield indicator. I should fix that. It's basically an endless stream of levels that get harder.

Anyway, the wrapper library I made to port Decaying Orbit also let me port a few other Yaroze games: Invs, Breakdown, and Katapila. They're in the Yaroze Classics release on my site. Definitely fodder for rereleasing them now that authentication is working.

mgarcia

You may change this now in User CP
Reaction score
Anyway, the wrapper library I made to port Decaying Orbit also let me port a few other Yaroze games: Invs, Breakdown, and Katapila. They're in the Yaroze Classics release on my site. Definitely fodder for rereleasing them now that authentication is working.

I'm going to be putting your yarlib.c to the test! :)

mgarcia

Reaction score
Go go go! I honestly remember very little about it, but I'll help where I can.

yarlib.c doesn't look complete... it looks like it's referencing a few missing files :/
ie:
#include "sprite2b.h"
#include "perfmon.h"
#include "../sauron/srn_psx.h"
#include <dsiCommon.h>
#include "yarlib.h"
#include "screenshot.h"

the first error is at :

typedef struct {
int x, y; // coordinates in Yaroze VRAM
int w, h; // dimensions in Yaroze VRAM (ignoring any additional border)
void *ptr; // pointer to buffer
sImage img; // image for feedback
SPR_IMAGE_INFO spr; // sprite for feedback
} sFB;

sImage is undefined in yarlib.c and vmlabs' include files.

If you can share a complete working build of something (privately or publicly), I can strip out the game and recreate the yarlib.c so it "just works".
I'm happy to maintain it for you, and add to it.

I was a Net Yaroze (SCEE) member, if that helps? LOL https://web.archive.org/web/0/http://netyaroze-europe.com/~mgarcia/

mgarcia

Reaction score
Go go go! I honestly remember very little about it, but I'll help where I can.

I don't want to be a pain, but yarlib.c as it is, is a great helpful starting guide, but it's missing the SPRAdd functions, ie SPRAddSpriteYaroze :'(

I'd like to port my little NY project I'm finishing up to NUON, it's well abstracted, but would preferred to use your work and contribute it.

Please please please, pretty please, please :)
Can I email you to discuss further?

Last edited:

V-SNES

NUON Lover!
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to be a pain, but yarlib.c as it is, is a great helpful starting guide, but it's missing the SPRAdd functions, ie SPRAddSpriteYaroze :'(

I'd like to port my little NY project I'm finishing up to NUON, it's well abstracted, but would preferred to use your work and contribute it.

Please please please, pretty please, please :)
Can I email you to discuss further?
Did he ever get back to you?

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
Okay I found it! Man it takes me back reading through this code again.

Ideally I would get everything compiling again so I could actually have a chance to help while you take this on, but it's probably more helpful to just get you a dump of everything right now.

What you need is "libsprite", which is a modified version of the original sprite library. In particular, I hand-crafted VLIW assembly routines to draw sprites of various complexity. Look for the sp_pixg#.s assembly files for the various flavors.

My version of source control back then was to copy all the files into a new directory named by date. I have directories for libsprite ranging from 2002 to 2008. Of note, two directories are appended with "-release" so I must have released those on the forums or my website at some point.

I'm attaching the May 14, 2003 release version. I'm totally fine sending along the rest, but I'm guessing since it is tagged with "release" that it must be somewhat stable.

If I find myself with a block of a few hours I may take a stab at getting Decaying Orbit compiling again. But hopefully this unblocks you for a while.

Attachments

• 20030514-release.zip
    143.9 KB · Views: 113

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
Found the post on my blog from back then about this release.

Since it is from the middle of Decaying Orbit's development I'm guessing the later versions of the library contain further optimizations.

I'm attaching here the last archived version of the code. I don't know what state this is in. Given the lack of a "release" tag, it might be buggy or not even compile.

Attachments

• 20080326-for-mgarcia.zip
    514.9 KB · Views: 111

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
Reading a bit more. Looks like spYar* are the Yaroze-specific sprite renderers that I wrote. And of course libsprite.c is the library that actually uses them.

This was back when I was trying to eke out every single cycle of optimization from the inner loops as I could. Super interesting and fun while you're doing it, but is a bit opaque looking at it later.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.