Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 4. Another possibility

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Happy

Reaction score
hey all...

i need you opinion.

I have massive items in my map...but i dont use recipes. i use a "box" where you have to put your items in and then use a skill of the "box" to fuse the items inside (if possible).

And now i need your opinion.

How the players should get to know the item combination?

1. "recipe books" are dropped, means there's a small chance that a book is dropped whenever you kill a creep...that book does nothing, selling brings 1 gold and it just shows a combination.

2. they shall try it on their own.

3. you can buy an item at a shop that gives you a random of those "recipe books".

4. another possibility you give me :D

I won't use recipes! And i don't want the players to know (all) combinations at the start!

thanks in advance

greetz Happy

P.S. And please write down why you chose that option. :D

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
recipes are given as a bonus gift for finishing quests maybe? could make questing more important in an RPG.

maybe teacher npc's who tell you recipes if you bring them X amounts of certain items (which are created with basic recipes) to show them that you are skillful enough to learn the more advanced recipes from them.

Happy

Reaction score
would be good if i would make an RPG...sorry should had said that...but thanks and +rep anyway.

my map is a hero arena like angel arena or hell vs heaven.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
I would actually remove recipes and let the players try the combinations on their own

remembering a certain recipe sucks, let them use their logic to assemble something

the recipes should somehow make sense ofc

like a sword and a orb of venom would make a poison sword xd

an armor and quills would make a spiked armor which returns damage

the bad thing about this system is that it requires hundreds of different combinations in order to be useful :/

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
@dinowc:
i would not recommend something like this, because it would devide pro-players (or rather those who played the map a plenty of times) and new-players far wider.
because if you are new to the map you dont know any recipes, the other players could own you, no matter how good your play is, by the sole fact that they know the secret item combinations to own the hack out of everyone with tier0 equip.

for a hero arena you might try to bind item recipes to a side-aspect of the game maybe.
creeps at the edges of the map could drop desired recipes for example, or like achievements:
"You killed 3 heroes in a row without dieing! New recipe unlocked: Sniping Dart!",
"You are the first blood! New recipe unlocked: Unlucky Beggars Armor!",
"You used 5 potions within 2 minutes! New recipe unlocked: Bottomless Potion Bag!"
or something like this which would reward players, for incredible gameplay, both good or bad.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
yeah you're right

I thought he was making an RPG, didn't see his reply

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I partially support the option of buying books, mainly because there are some items you might want to make whose recipes aren't completely logical.

On the other hand, players get to make slightly more powerful items from recipes that aren't in plain sight, but instead need you to figure them out yourself. This gives players a reason to explore the possibilites, rather than just using normal recipes that are available in shops - if you explore the possibilities given, you get a slight edge over other players. Anyway, it's inevitable that experienced players will be better at a game than newbies, so giving them this slight edge is still enough to encourage newer players to try them out.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Just randomly creating their own could be fun.

Also adds to the creativity of the game, and ordinarity by not having recipies like every other game nowdays :/

johnnymra

Reaction score
Another posibility, in my opinion.
Making something like... magical places or different caves/dungeons/castles... i don't know... in which you place the books, but in order to get the books, which are stored let's say in a closed room in that place, you have to solve a riddle, a puzzle... or something like that. When you solve it, it gives you passage to the book and there you go. :)

Mindless

Reaction score
I think if you let players try to assemble their own item, you're in for a lot of work. You have to think of a lot of combinations that make sense and program them all in. And there are possibly players out their more creative than you and if they think of a sensible combination that you did not think of, they'll go: "what? why does that combine into nothing? what the *** map maker is thinking of?" Also, if you map becomes popular (which I hope it does :)) there will definitely be guides out their with a list of all the possible combinations, which defeats your purpose (of having players assemble their own item).

So I think that dropping books is the best idea. Also, the "book" should be part of the combination, so even if you have all the required items, you still need to find a suitable creep that drops the "book".

P.S. I'm classifying this as "another possibility" when I'm voting because it is sort of like dropping books and yet a bit different from it. :p

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
Ooh, I've got another idea. Normally, combining Stone with Staff would make Granite Rod (example). But if you do the combining in a Fire part of the arena, you get a Lava Rod. Basically, creating recipe items at certain locations makes for slightly more powerful items. It can confuse players that don't know about it :).

Happy

Reaction score
thanks for all your answers...+rep to you :D

i chose this one (if you are instrested):

some items are just combinable with books, some are combinable without but you have to figure out the combination and the books are dropped by creeps.

popo80000

Reaction score
If creep drop books upon death and when player picks it up and he don't need it, he sells it. by the time he needs it, he might already sold that book in other word, he forgot about the item combination recipe. So i came up with an idea, when player picks up the book/tome he will have his quest log updated with the recipe that he picked up, therefore whenever he needs the item recipe, he will be able to view it from the quest log. :p
As for basic item combination, i think it will be good if you can let the recipe be known. Remember to state whether that which item can be upgradable or not so it will prevent the player from confusion.
For instance,
Venom Sword
Upgrade available: Yes or No [Number of types of upgrades available]

So if the item cannot be upgradable anymore, the player will not have to crack his brain to find out the next upgrade that is available as he already know that his current level of upgrade is the best. :D

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think they should just try on their own, sort of like how minecraft works.

It's more fun that way because you have no idea what you will be creating when you first start playing and people may want to play more just to see what other items they can get.

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
It does make sense to tell them when an item can no longer be upgraded, with something like "Maximum Upgrade" in the description. As for normal items with lots of possible combinations, it would also help to say exactly how many there are, like "3 Possible Upgrades" for an item that can be used in three different recipes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.