Which Skill Learning/Type Would You Prefer?

Which option you'd prefer?

• Option 1

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Option 2

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Option 3

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Option 4

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
So as simple as the above states, here are several options, of Skill Learning with Skill Types

If you vote, please do post as to why you chose that option. ( Note: These types are for a RPG type map )

Option 1.

You buy an Item from a shop which grants you a skill.

Example: You buy a Chain Lightning ( item ) , which instantly converts to a spell. You buy the item again to level it up.

Option 2.

You buy an Item from a shop which grants you a skill. This is as Option 1, but the skills are not leveled, they're effects are stat based.

Option 3.

You go to a certain someone, who sells items as skills ( like op1 and op2) , they will not be leveled up, but improved. The way of improving is the guy you bought the skill from, or just some other random guy will give you a quest.

Example: Buy entangling roots. Go to someone, take a quest, kill something, get something, take it to someone. Spell improves. Now its AoE Entangling Roots.

Option 4.

You go to a certain someone, who sells items as skills ( like op1 and op2) , they will not be leveled up, but improved. The way of improving is buying the spell again.

Example: Buy entangling roots. Go to the same guy you bought it from, buy it again and you have Aoe E. Roots.

==
Also, don't know if this is relevant to your choice, but you'll only be able to obtain skills at a certain level.

So thank you for your answer already ( if your going to answer ).

P.S My personal favorite would be option 3.

Also if you find something that is unclear to you, and is interfering with your choice, please tell and i will try to explain more deeply.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
voted for option 2. why? hm they all seem not to fit for an RPG (my opinion) but stat based skills are always the better choice. (The stronger you are the more powerfull your bash...of course.)

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer spells that level as you use them.
The more you use one particular spell, the better it gets.
That may or may not be related to Hero stats... depends on the spell, but generally not.

And, where the original level 1 spell is coming from... whatever makes sense in your map.

Reaction score
option 3 >>> more fun, gets people to actually have to work a little bit for their spell improvement. perhaps put in a puzzle for the quest to make it even harder

this option presents a CHALLENGE that is rare to find in many wc3 custom games, most of which are made by bad mappers

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
If I were you I wloud make the first 3 but the optin depends on the power, and the helpness of the spell(like if it gives you chance to block and return mele dmg on a mele only area it shloud be 3, if it gives 15% to cast fire bolt then 2)

Danjamino

Reaction score
Option 4

option 3 would make your game unique and if you could make it well i think it would be better than the others. Make alot of quests though and make multiplw upgrades for a spell like for Chain lighting have a quest for extra chain and another quest for extra dmg.

Rong title
option 3

crystalguard

Reaction score
I'd go with either 2 or 3 both have there advantages and disadvantages depending on the player and the size of the map

With number 2 you could quickly power up your hero to take on high level monsters at a signafintly lower level, it speeds up the game and getting to the fun parts (dungons). [Way to make better add a spell book in which you control your stat gain say you wanna be a warrior, but you get a spell with a Inteligance Stat, then make it so every level he gets a certtain amount of points where he can add +1 to any stat freely giving him the ability to control the strenght of his spells and the effectivness of which kind of support or melee character they want to play]

But with number 3 it adds a more of a role playing aspect to an RPG, defeating reletivly tough foes to increase the power of you spells, but it slows down the games pace not allowing for quick advancement to the dungons. [I'd consider useing this one only iff you had a Save-Load code which you proabaly do, and also make low level dungons in which you can do in the start of the game to add alittle more fun for starters, also consider haveing the player being able to control what it upgrades to. ex: Entangling roots Upgrades: 1) AoE Entangling roots 2) Single Target Vine that pulls enemy to you and then hurls him away 3) Entangling roots [normal] but +damage 4) Root [self heal] this adds a since that you have a more compleat comtrol over your character]
============================================
I Voted option 3 because it seems like the best one without the ideas up above

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
id vote for a combination of 1 and 2, something like the stats affect the damage/duration of the entangling roots and then leveling up the spell increases/adds AOE to the skill

emootootoo

Top Banana
Reaction score
Stat based abilities are fail.

You shouldn't have to manually level up a skill unless it is to change how that skill works or replace it entirely.

So option 4 seems like it's on track the most.

XeNiM666

I lurk for pizza
Reaction score
I voted for Option 2 but I up for option 2 and 3.

In an RPG, for me, stat based skills are a go!

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Stat based abilities are fail.

lol,, thoose are the only abilities I deem worthy, all others fail with time/level. But then again my map that will have these cus I like em has more attributes (6 diffrent ones) so it has itemization as a big thing, ex. one skill may take ((0.5 x strength) / concentration) * vigor.. Much better this way as you can make heroes much more diffrent, otherwise it's, I am a paladin, all other level 10 paladins are exactly the same.

anyway back to topic, I don't really care for any of the options, if I would choose any I would go with #1 and using lumber as "skillpoints" earned from killing x amount of mobs or a boss, or give when you gain a level. But I find the regular, simple oldfashioned wc3 way the best.

Good luck ;) (Voting 1)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I voted option 3 because it makes it more challenging to upgrade your abilities/spells than if you could just spend money to upgrade them. I also like the idea of having mini quests to upgrade abilities.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.