Who of us are programmers and what are you working right now?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes, I question my priorities =/
I wanna' add more skills to the game because the whole point is to unlock skills to make boss fights *hopefully* easier and move on to harder AI and enemies.

But I also need to add, I duno, actual levels and proper enemies and bosses in the first place. All I have now are two actual levels and no bosses. But I can't stop trying to add skillz. I am so phailz.
Thats why i would want to have a partner. We would split the work between the both of us and each one would focus on a particular part of the system.
Then, at the end, we will both realized how different our code is and that its not compatible, we will break up and the program will be lost forever.
Ah, Good times.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Its not only when i need to change something. Just in general.
The entire program is huge now; anytime i add another feature i have to keep in mind how this will fit with the existing features. It supposed to be a game so everything needs to work together.

Would it be better if you can nudge some of your free time devoted to re-writing your game?

Then, at the end, we will both realized how different our code is and that its not compatible, we will break up and the program will be lost forever.
Ah, Good times.

What good times is this? Sounds over-hyped than I thought.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I'd be very interested to see a survey asking how much of the community is in game design and game programming. It seems to be the main focus of the programming forum, and World Edit is obviously the center of the community. I wonder how many of us went from using WE as a kid to working in the game industry. (*cough cough*)

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Well, I'm not in the game industry yet but I did spend a bit of time making TFT maps for my friends and I.. ;)
However, I started way back with RPG Maker 2000 and Game Maker when it was version.. 6?

And my current course of study is "Game and Entertainment Technology", so.. I guess I'm all set. I've had one internship and one job, both as game programmers and I'm about to go for a second internship in May..

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Are there any other people trying to get title published for profit or am I alone in that too?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any other people trying to get title published for profit or am I alone in that too?
I am interested in monetary profit. But i am not interested in selling the game.
I think i will try it the pitiful day and ask for donations while the project is open source.
If you think about things like kickstarter, and how much money is being donated by people every now and then, and if you keep in mind how frustrated gamers are today when it comes to the big companies marketing strategies, getting donations could very well work out.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I really need money. Medical school is expensive.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
I wish making kewl games in your free time would be less difficult :D

I have extremely high standards so I wouldn't be satisfied with my game at the end of the day.

So the only actual reason why I'm even trying to make a game is to figure out new cool stuff.

The last days I've studied and worked on a clever way of parsing mathematical expressions
which exists for almost 40 years now. I haven't heard a word of it since a week ago.
The euphoria when I figured out how it works and implemented it in C++ is like a drug to me :D

And on the way I even picked up a little bit of JavaScript and Python...

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
The link is broken serius. xD

I, too, have quite high standards. And i am working like a beast on that project. Results come slowly because i am constantly trying to improve what i have so far before i advance to the next part of the engine.

In my RPG you can run around, pick up items, equip them, use them, drop them to the ground, open the inventory, open your status menu, open a menu via escape to go back to the title screen, quit the game, etc, you can attack, you can take damage, you can get healed, you can die and get resurrected.
Its alot already, but still so damn far away from completion. My plans for the game are very complex.

s3rius

Reaction score
You read it too early :p
I fixed it a few minutes after posting ^^

Yes, a game always seems so damn far away from completition.
There's always so much left to add :D

But that's why I believe that computer games are the most complex and most broad programs mankind is creating. Not even operating systems or databases can rival that.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I thinking programming games is done in stages.

You start off with high school, basic C syntaxes. In college, you start learning how to parse and read binary and text files. In an institute, you start DirectX, OpenGL, or SDL, Allegro, or possibly other easier-to-learn libraries.

Once you're in the field, you learn patience and ways to solve problems under constantly unforgiving situations. Then you start work until you retire.

And then once you get old, you start to regret how you didn't create a game in the first place.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
@S3rius
Cool link, I'll need to read it in the future ;)
I remember looking up expression trees, or something like that, on wikipedia. I, then, decided to code a little console program calculator. The wikipedia article gave me just the concept but not the implementation details; either that, or I skimmed through it because the idea excited me and I wanted to get to it..

It worked great but it couldn't parse nested function calls because I fucked up some where (was too lazy to find it). So, stuff like: "3+10*cosRad(pi)", "3*(45*(10+4))", etc. worked. While "cosRad(pi*cosRad(pi))" would just return zero.

Whenever the program failed to generate an expression tree from the input, it would just return zero =/

Sadly, I worked on the mini-project for about three days and whenever a friend asked what I was doing and I told them, they would say I was wasting my time because calculators are everywhere. But I just wanted to learn how to parse text input, build an expression tree following operator precedence rules and then evaluate it, returning a result =(

Edit:
I just read the beginning of the article.. Yo dawg. A Javascript parser in Javascript that, in itself, is being parsed.

Oh, what REALLY tripped me up, back then, was implementing support for parenthesis. Those were a pain =/

s3rius

Reaction score
Whenever the program failed to generate an expression tree from the input, it would just return zero =/
My first parser usually just crashed when he didn't like my expression tree. Lol. Or it threw away half of my tree for some reason.

Sadly, I worked on the mini-project for about three days and whenever a friend asked what I was doing and I told them, they would say I was wasting my time because calculators are everywhere.
Following that reason all hobbies and creational activities suddenly become a waste of time! :0

I just read the beginning of the article.. Yo dawg. A Javascript parser in Javascript that, in itself, is being parsed.
Javaception!! We have to go deeper!

But I love that when people build new Turing-complete languages:
They first build a compiler in some language like C, to make their very first own compiler. After that they use their compiler to compile their own language to make a new compiler.
And at that point, the language is self-sustaining.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
If the language is self-sustaining, we wouldn't be so hard on studying artificial intelligence and trying to create a robot. There is a difference between self-sustaining language and creating a language out of ones and zeroes.

s3rius

Reaction score
With self-sustainability I mean the language's ability to work on an OS without the need for language-foreign tools.

For example, the first C++ compiler was probably written in C. But once it worked, you could use it to directly compile C++ without the need for C.

"Independent" might be a better word for it.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I would imagine you getting angry at thousands of girls at once. It's like, your programs are like your anger sponges.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.