Who ripped off who first?

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Ok, I just got Baldurs Gate II and the expansion pack. I found them VERY similar to Diablo 2. THe whole system of spells were very similar, and the boss in Baldurs Gate II is Bhaal, and the game name for the expansion is Throne of Bhaal. The boss in Diablo IIX is Baal, and ther boss in Baldurs GateIIX is Bhaal. These seem to similar. So my question is, who ripped off who first?

Chile

The All Purpose Administrator
Reaction score
Neither

both developers borrow heavily from mythology, ancient religions, and other historical events.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
It's not just the names and stories of the games, it's also the systems and how they are setup. If you look, Bhaal is the bad guy in the expansion of BG IIX and Baal is the bad guy in Diablo IIX. Seems a little strange. They also have the same type of skills system, so someone had to get some idea from one another.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
baldur's gate 2 was made before diablo 2, if that's what you want to know.

Chile

The All Purpose Administrator
Reaction score
Respectfully, I think you're reading too much into a couple of names. ;)

As for the spells, they aren't exactly identical, nor are the execution of the spells the same. See, whereas Diablo II does the math behind the scenes to produce damage, BG II (and expansions) operate as though you were rolling dice. That is why you can pause all Baldurs Gate titles mid-battle.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Hehe, you might be right Chile. I haven't played it (yet) since I got the expansion pack of Baldur's Gate II and I'm going to get the noX tomorrow. It is, however, strange that Baal and Bhaal are both the bads guys in the expansion pack of the second games.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
That's how I am. My life revolved around Diablo II for about a year then it got old, especially when you have every good item such as Enigma, Eth BotD Zerk, P Diamond eth Shako, twin Eth BotD Cbs, Eth glitched Arreats, Eth GF, (when it was one of the rarest Diablo II items around, now it's crap), multiple SOJs (aren't worth much but good for power skills), and others I forgot about. Also when you have the best characters such as trappers, tank druids, wolf druids, Tele WW ASSs (my best dueling char), gliches WW Barbs (it's a Barb but when you WW somethign far away, then the sound goes off and you run into a rock you get a glitched WW sheild wich acts like WW but no side effect and waaay more powerful).

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
by the time you get a decent set of equipment you've done enough hacking and slashing to get bored with it. Even though there is a huge array of monsters and equipment to go through, the game really does come down to simple hack and slash, which is poor from a gameplay perspective.

I enjoyed single player, that was about it. The cinematics were breathtaking, kudos to their ever-talented art deparment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.