Why are people so DUMB?

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
To quote an old reference: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"

"Don't do that".

Why is it people who play custom maps are so stone dead DUMB?

In ladder play, people know that you can't kill Dragon Hawks with Grunts, you don't kill Spell Breakers with Destroyers, an Acolyte beats a wisp 1on1, and if you charge an army into a ton of towers, chances are you're going to lose the army.

Why is common sense so simple that a preschooler could grasp it, completely MISSING from the custom map playing community?

For those of you who aren't familiar with my map, I recently added a hero that has a particular defensive skill that creates a static defense unit (maximum 14 on the map). Last night I'm playing a game, and there's this one guy who is using these offensively. Normally, you wouldn't let an enemy hero put a bunch of these up right outside your base, but nonetheless this game featured a particularly clueless ally who let him do it. I didn't even know of their presence until said ally mentioned:

"God those things are imba"

sure enough, look up and there's about 10 of the things sitting right outside the base. Now to give you an idea of how these things are, they don't hit too hard individually, but they have 1200 range and in numbers like that, they hurt.

So what does he do, he keeps poking his melee hero out and in, out and in. Yep, he knows that these things outrange him by about 600 fold. But no, he keeps running out, and letting the things hit him, then running back into base.

Does he ask for help? No.
Does he understand that his hero is in a bad situation and needs help? No.
Does he understand that he'd probably be more productive in a lane which doesn't have all these units built in it? No.

It's like he's in his own little world, where allies and alternate lanes don't exist. The entire game revolves around him and this little 1v1 vs a defensive enemy hero designed to stop the advances of melee characters.

To make a long story short, he moans, complains, leaves, and about 30 seconds later all the defensive units are dead as myself and an ally dual ultimate them and clear them all out (with the great gold reward that comes from killing 10 of them @ 40 gold each). The rest of the game is spent owning the defending hero - never letting him get that many defensive units up again, and destroying the ones he tries to place.

I really don't get it. You don't see ladder players complaining that dragon hawks are rigged because grunts don't kill them.

Red Beard

Part-Time helper.... Full Time Lurker
Reaction score
Sud said:
You don't see ladder players complaining that dragon hawks are rigged because grunts don't kill them.

Yes you do.

Well, you get people complaining about mass hunts and other noobelf creatures.

These sort of people originate from the slimy scum off the top of the gene pool and have no notion of tactics, or lateral thinking. In short they lack a serious mental capacity to adapt to new situations (or old if they repeat the same mistake)

They also are subject to 'the lust', in which they believe that throwing themselves at an adversary in an electronic game grants them some kind of valour bonus that through the pure strength and willpower of their character they will emerge victorius.

That is a rare occurance in real life, let alone in an electronically generated environment where binary combinations create the rules of existance and therefore any conflict is predetermined with several outcomes depending on further generation of random integers.

To try and apply human emotional response to such an environment will ultimately fail, as such factors mean nothing in terms of numbers and logic.

Only those who are able to grasp the limitations of a numbered world can truly triumph as they are able to identify the parameters in which that world operates and then 'work' the system into their favour.

*heh, kinda bored

**Buff Chimz 4TW

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Sud said:
I really don't get it. You don't see ladder players complaining that dragon hawks are rigged because grunts don't kill them.

No you don't, but what you DO see are people's armies getting destroyed by a hand full of destroyers. Now destroyers are imbalanced. The good thing is that they're ixpensive, and I usually don't let them get that high in the tech tree.

I should start playing ladder games again...

Sud

Reaction score
I really don't think you'll be able to prevent a decent UD from getting dests. UD base defense is unbreakable and they go right from tier 1 to 3 as fast as they can.

Can't really blame them though, ghouls are micro city until tier 3 when they start to become good, and fiends are good, but tend to die a lot because each race has so many stunning skills.

Human has it the worst right now though. Top level humans only have 1 strat - mass towers w/ masonry, expand as much as possible, and tank/gyro harass.

NE has a lot of problems with the race, the biggest ones are hidden from plain view. For example, a dryad costs almost the same gold cost as a footman (you can pretty much ignore the wood cost as NE has the best wood harvesting capabilities, and you can always hire a shredder to enhance wood income). A dryad also gives the same exp as a footman. So like 10 more gold for magic immunity, a ranged attack, slow poison, faster speed, slightly more hitpoints, and abolish magic, at the cost of 1 food and different armor for the same exp when killed? Sign me up

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Sud said:
NE has a lot of problems with the race, the biggest ones are hidden from plain view. For example, a dryad costs almost the same gold cost as a footman (you can pretty much ignore the wood cost as NE has the best wood harvesting capabilities, and you can always hire a shredder to enhance wood income). A dryad also gives the same exp as a footman. So like 10 more gold for magic immunity, a ranged attack, slow poison, faster speed, slightly more hitpoints, and abolish magic, at the cost of 1 food and different armor for the same exp when killed? Sign me up

One word for you
Defend.

A good anti UD tactic with humans is to rush w/archmage (blizzard 1st ability) with guns, rifles, and Priests. I have an example attached.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
... Think he's talking about CoD, dude. He said "People who play CUSTOM maps"

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
It tends to be that custom game clans have next to no people who actually player ladder games (though they aren't always idiots, some to know how to play, they just don't). I should know, in my current clan I'm the only non-peon on the ladder...but I'm not complaining too much yet. :p

And vice versa, ladder clans tend not to play custom games (or maybe they do? I wouldn't know, I've never joined a ladder one).

There are exceptions - the occasional custom game clan with good ladder players (TTG is an example, and RPU - where all their shammies are lvl 15+ (with maybe one exception, I dunno why).

That's just nature for you - if you join a non-ladder clan, you'd best expect to see many peons, unless it's a very popular clan like TTG, in which case you actually WON'T see peons.

*sigh* But for now, I'm just a lvl 12 with the headhunter icon...orc and undead player. :rolleyes:

Sud

Reaction score
heh, any attempt at blizzarding an undead base will end in you furiously clicking town portal in about 2-5 seconds as the undead surrounds your archmage

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
i find the goblin tinker to be the most effective anti archmage....the human nubcaeks never see the factory coming, and they just assume that tinker sux and stand and fight it. without realising water elementals help jack shit against tinker.

Sud

Reaction score
I've seen some pretty funny combos that actually halfway work, such as the drunken haze/curse combo and unholy frenzy/chemical rage combo.

With its uncapped breath of fire that also damages buildings, the Panda is a better AoE damager than most heroes in the game. Pretty much all heroes in the game.

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
Sud said:
You don't see ladder players complaining that dragon hawks are rigged because grunts don't kill them.

Have you ever seen bnet's wc3 forum?

Sud

Reaction score
yeah, but normally anything posted that's outright stupid beyond believe people will usually reply with:

- nice troll 0/10
- pity reply
- stfu

etc.

which doesn't make them any less stupid, however, they can follow and cookie cutter the good players and get a general idea of how the game works.

Make a game where there are no shining examples of what smart people can do with what resources, and the newbs run amok.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.