Why are you using GUI?

Why do you prefer GUI instead of JASS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I made one nice GUI jumping spell for my friend for his map, few days ago. I usually use Jass because its better and easier and everything. ( Actually normal Jass sucks, its horrible, use vJass. ) The only downside of Jass is misspelling. I allways write BJDEbugMsg , instead of BJDebugMsg. ( I dont really know why )

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
I think by 'efficient' the poster meant efficient to write, not efficient to run. A lot of people find GUI faster to write, even though JASS is actually faster to write once you know it.

dannyboydude

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
yes the gui script takes longer for the computer to convert and read
[ basically makes it laggy by converting then reading ]
While jass all the computer does is reads the scripts and does it

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
yes the gui script takes longer for the computer to convert and read
[ basically makes it laggy by converting then reading ]
While jass all the computer does is reads the scripts and does it

GUI is converted to [horribly written] JASS when the map is saved. There is no conversion going on when you play the game.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
GUI - Graphical User Interface

I voted for "GUI? What is GUI?" in the same manner you'ld ask "Fear? What is fear?"

EDIT:
GUI is not more laggy.
Good JASS is more efficient and thus less time consuming than the best GUI can ever get.
Bad JASS is just as bad as the GUI.

However, this is just the "optimization".
By using the better algorithms, JASS code can be made x-times faster.
( like switching from linear search to hashtables )
Most of the speed comes from the algorithms
A tiny bit from the code

However, pure GUI cannot use the more complex algorithms, so it is the slowest thing.

jnZ

I
Reaction score
already 2 voted for "I should really stop the pointless polls"

comeon ppl dont plame be for creating this poll :D its just interesting

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
You don't have an option for me, I stayed on gui cause I am a terable speller.

jnZ

I
Reaction score
> You don't have an option for me, I stayed on gui cause I am a terable speller.

i think that counts as lazy :D

Reaction score
Because I have a life and I'm not a techie at all. I rarely sit in front of a computer for something else than checking e-mail, playing some Warcraft, and making a map occasionally. So the idea of dabbling into a programmer language seems a tremendous (and useless) undertaking to me :p

quraji

zap
Reaction score
If you use GUI and can make triggers, you can write JASS. You just need to learn the syntax, because GUI prevents you from doing nonsensical stuff by not providing a drop down menu for it ;)

Most everything is much simpler when using JASS (especially arithmetic). Then of course you can take the extra step and learn to write more "advanced" JASS, allowing you to speed up your code, do more things you couldn't do in GUI, etc.

Plus, JASS won't give you carpal tunnel :thup:

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
i would like to learn c++, jass even but after reading tutorials i just cant contemplate the concept I dont know why. I would spend an hour tryign to write something I coudl do in GUI in just a few lines and ends up the jass didnt work. Ive read a few tuts but I dont know maybe I need a hands on expreicen with someone personally teaching me ^_^

would definately improve my current project by 1000%.

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
For a start, make something in gui, convert it to jass, look at what it looks like and then try to make the same thing from scratch. Many of the jass tutorials I read just messed up everything to me cause they all started different, worked in different ways and such. Finally I found the perfect tutorial from Cohadar.

Zerox

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Meh I could use only JASS if I really cared. But I do everything all GUI if I can. Because I just feel its less likely to have errors that way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.