Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
the main reason I "hate" WoW is because it slowly kills Wc3

it's like Blizzard completely forgot about Wc3 and future Warcraft RTS games

although I do think WoW is actually a really good game

punwisp

Reaction score
No, the reason people dislike WoW isn't because of the nerd factor. If you take a moment to step outside of your nerd enclosure, you can see games are no longer a nerd venture. I'm a massive nerd myself, but not conventionally. I'm a guy all the girls know as either the hot guy or the complete asshole, I'm also a guy that all the blokes look up to as the man... or think of me as the biggest asshole. I'm all those things and more in between..

...but fuck me, I love my games.

I don't deny it either. When I'm chatting up girls on a night out there's always the inevitable questions of 'what do you do for work? What do you for fun?'... and I don't beat around the bush, I tell them straight up. 'I don't do much and I play alot of games'. Their response isn't 'what a fucking loser' (sure my physique and wild hairstyle soften the blow but still) but generally 'oh, what games do you play?'. Ideally they want to hear you own a wii or ds, but still the fact remains - gamers aren't just the closed group of fuck-up mummy boys anymore.

So then why do people hate WoW? Hmmm it could be these reasons -

1. WoW is a well planned money making venture. Everything from the size of the environment, the location of quests to the drop rate of loot is designed to keep players playing for longer, but only just long enough so that they don't get sick of it and drop it like the sack of shit it is. It's easy for an inquisitive person to look at the game and go 'why the fuck am I paying to run 50km from this graveyard again?', but a kid who just wants to hang out with his online pals and make a name for himself will be blind to this. Possibly the kid will shout 'It's punishment for being a n00b and dying fool!'. No kid, it's not. It's punishment for being stupid enough to play a game that has a monthly fee.

2. The environments lack any depth. Not once during my brief stint of playing did I look at the area and go, 'my god, it's breath taking'. Actually, all I saw in each area was a whole lot of ground I didn't really want to travel and a bunch of xp represented by a different coloured units I had already killed for xp in the last area I was in. Not only that but player models look GAY. Sure they have more poly's then warcraft 3's yet somehow they still lack in character. Even I can't figure out why that is.

3. It's purely a grind fest. I got the game very close to it's release, merely because of the fact that Blizzard hadn't let me down before. I'd never even played an MMO in my life, yet it only took me the first 6 levels to realize quests are pointless. From there I just spent all my play time grinding xp. I didn't need guides to figure that shit out, I'd just kill something, compare how is it was to kill to other things I'd stabbed and then compared how much I could sell it's junk for. I got to level 45 after only 2 days playing time, then referred to point #1.... why the fuck am I paying for this? So I thought I'd just explore the game for a while and get lost in it's beauty and lore... and it didn't take me long to refer to point #2. After referring to point #2 it's really quite inevitable that you refer to point #1 again and decide to cancel your account. That is of course if you have any brains.

4. It doesn't require much skill to play. Yeah, I hear you all crying 'yesh it does, you're just shit at it' in your defense, but no, you're wrong. That's the beauty of it, the game is designed to give everyone a chance.... for some people it may take a bit longer but hey, don't worry son... a few more monthly payments and you'll find someone you can kill.

...and that's all there is really. Everyone is capable of killing someone in the game... whether it be because there class > the enemy class, their items are better or just because they have played long enough and read enough guides to get a good set up going for button mashing spells. The game runs at a mediocre pace with decent cool downs controlling the flow of battle.

It's really just the kind of game for the drop-kick who loves gaming but can't really win at anything. I've seen many a pro at an internet cafe (majority of which have no sense of style and have interweb forged personalities) talk about how good they are at wow, how mad all their equipment is and how powerfully sick their guild is. Then they play and I hear them mutter 'that's fucking bullshit he can't do that' every 2 minutes. Why? because they are getting ownt. Then eventually they kill someone and become king of the world again, forgetting all the moments they got shit on in an instant.

When you look at other games like melee RTS's or FPS's, you can't deny skill level sets players apart. You either have it or you don't, there's no 2 ways about it. Sure, you can get better at these games but you will eventually reach your limit. Yeah, you can argue this too.... but fuck you. It's just like sport... you could train someone more then Beckham with better facilities and coaching but at the end of the day there's no guarantee they are going to be a better soccer player. Personally, no matter how hard I try I can't play melee RTS for shit, microing resources and units n such is way beyond my mental control. However play me in CSS and my scout will eat you alive, my hand eye co-ordination and reaction time has been proven to be faster then even some people can visually register.

Ahhh fuck it, you know I could go on and on with why WoW isn't a great game but if you don't get it by now then you never will.... you'll just become another one of these people who quits it purely because they can't kid themselves anymore, then preach about how they regret it but at the same time it was fun in an attempt to fool people who KNOW all you did was waste your time and money.

I know this post is old, but I gotta say this

Your lucky there not going from the actual sizes of zones, in reality it would take a few days to get to goldshire =)

And dont worry they didnt forget about the future RTS warcraft, WC4 is well in the works, anyone who thinks otherwise is a dumbass if they havent looked at the job openings on there site and all the interviews

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
when wc4 comes out. WoW would be poop. and wc4 would be chocolate :/

Same color. Much better taste. (lol see what i did there? :p)

nabbig2

Reaction score
Well it's a famous game and people are just raging about being addicting and sucking up the lives of thousands of people. But really, if they decide to spend their lives that way, who gives a fuck? It's their lifestyle they choose, nothing wrong with it.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
lets take a 5 year old and spend a year training him in martial arts. Now lets pick some random full-grown man off the street and make them fight. Who is going to win eh? Seriously a player that picks a gnome as a character because they think it's cool or funny should suffer the consequence of being beaten always. It's just lame/horrible.

i'm a level eighty gnome deathknight owner.

Shoot me.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
i'm a level eighty gnome deathknight owner.

Shoot me.
Lulz. Some of the best DK dps I've seen was from a gnome. You do have the escapist racial which is nice, but other races have better advantages because of racials. Not saying you shouldn't play a gnome deathknight, it's just endgame every little thing counts.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
whoever said that "addiction = bullshit" has obviously not played WoW for more than 3 months.

On average I play a new game hardcore for a week or two, then put it aside and play it whenever i get bored. when I played WoW I'd stay up till 3 on school nights, and on weekends I'd pull 16-20 hour shifts playing WoW. Addiction (to just about anything) runs deep in my family though, so it might just be that.

That is such a load of bullcrap!
I can't even remember how many games have had me doing that or a book or a tv show or a girl.
And with your logic that makes books, games, tv-shows and even girls addicting:nuts:

Having an interest is not addiction, even tho it is a less lucrative or rewarding as perhaps a scientific interest, it is none the less just an interest!
There is a thin line between selfdestroying interest and an addiction, a really thin one but still a line!

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
I don't know why people would quit from trying to level. It is ridiculously easy now, especially if you have an 80 to send heirlooms to alts. It is funny how many level 80's don't understand their own class.

I dislike WoW a bit for taking people away from Wc3, but I enjoy it a lot nonetheless. And it is even funner now that there are achievements =D but they've added too many easy-to-get titles.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
WoW will be replaced by some new Blizzard game in a few years.

[/thread]

chiken

Reaction score
@To the person who said wow is full of endless grinding I have to say L2P, doing quest is so faceroll now that It is so easy to get to 80.

About running about to your corpse, you failed big time so obviously you take a punishment. If all the games are a win win solution, there'll be no fun factor since everything is put infront to you.

I play WoW too, a mage and it takes skills to pvp and pull top DPS in my server @Barthilas full of scrubs and ninjas. Go get a lvl 80 and then talk, tyvm.

@TooltipError, that was a fail post, really unneeded there.

@About people who get addicted etc, it's their fault. They did not balance their life well between WOW and RL, it is never WOW's fault. I love WOW myself, I quitted modding because of it =P.

@Elderkingpin

Wow will always survive even if wc4 comes out, honestly you know nothing.

@DinoWC, wc4 has not been forgotten, they got too many projects on their hands now you know? SC1 was released many many years ago and now they are still working on SCII, it's worth the wait. Especially since DIII, Cataclysm and SCII are coming out.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> That is such a load of bullcrap!

> anyone who thinks otherwise is a dumbass

> that was a fail post

> your stupid comment

Just a few examples, naturally.

The intellectual worth of this thread has gone too low. Below the "Thread Is Opened"-Meter. Sorry.

With such a thread subject though, I hadn't expected anything else in the long run.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Theyre changing a lot of the complaints here. You can get a mount earlier so its not as much running. The bland, old world that hasnt been updated in ~5 years is supposed to be getting a big 2010 makover in cataclysm. Their aware, its an older game, with older graphics, and outdated areas.

Its not so much a grind anymore either. They increased the XP lowbie areas provide. Theirs BOA items that give you 10-20% more XP gain for characters beyond your first.

The quests are dumb, but almost all quests in MMORPG's are dumb. Their only designed to help break the monotony as you level up and grind XP. When they gave out epic, long, loreful quest chains that took days and many instance runs, people complained and moaned. In wow, you can level a new 80 in 2 months or less if your not raiding on another char with all your time. I dare ya to do that on a korean MMORP. They redefine what a 'grind' really is.

Yes, wow is designed to keep you addicted. The addiction stops when your toon is fully geared out and all the bosses are dead. To counter this, they added the achievement system, to further lure peoples addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.