Why paid premium maps?

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
I wish someone at blizzcon 09' asked what the percentage the creators would get.

To be honest, I'd be extremely pissed if they only got 50%.

Many people would be forced to do it anyways since it's better than nothing, and blizzard has the ability to control however they like. Better hope our maps are kickas$.

--Beetle

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
To be honest, I'd be extremely pissed if they only got 50%.

I would expect a lot smaller percent from someone hosting the servers, and I would also expect very few maps to become hosted maps.

Why would blizzard offer people who use their game a way to make money, without at the very least getting in on the profit? They wouldn't. They have to pay for the service, which includes the development of the system on which they will be hosted, maintenance, the servers, etc.

If you have an extremely good map, and people are buying it, 100% of the money will be a LOT of money. Even if it's only $1.00 for a map (cheap), if you have only 100 people buy it (very few), $100 is a lot for developing a game in your spare time.

Winterherz

Reaction score
I would expect a lot smaller percent from someone hosting the servers, and I would also expect very few maps to become hosted maps.

Why would blizzard offer people who use their game a way to make money, without at the very least getting in on the profit? They wouldn't. They have to pay for the service, which includes the development of the system on which they will be hosted, maintenance, the servers, etc.

If you have an extremely good map, and people are buying it, 100% of the money will be a LOT of money. Even if it's only $1.00 for a map (cheap), if you have only 100 people buy it (very few), $100 is a lot for developing a game in your spare time.

that makes sense, that's why there's no monthly fee for logging in online service

Darthfett

Reaction score
I will never sell a SC2 map! Premium is wrong!

While I agree with that ideal, I don't think everyone will think that way. Personally, I think it's a good idea to have premium maps, as it will encourage someone to spend a lot of time on a map, which will result in high quality maps (hopefully :rolleyes:).

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
High quality maps that you have to pay for.

The nice thing about this is that Blizzard will have a reason to regularly patch SC2 after its release, because they don't get a monthly delivery of money with one-time purchases like SC2.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
It is also a somewhat good and easy way for them to get rid of virus maps and such:thup:

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
one thing that has yet to be answered (to my knowledge) is whether or not future updated versions of the map will be free once you have purchased the original of it. i would assume that any and all future updates and versions would be free once you have paid but this is blizzard and i fear they may be scheming something.

Winterherz

Reaction score
one thing that has yet to be answered (to my knowledge) is whether or not future updated versions of the map will be free once you have purchased the original of it. i would assume that any and all future updates and versions would be free once you have paid but this is blizzard and i fear they may be scheming something.

my opinion:

If i was on the dev's end and made an original premium map, then had a major update eg: 1.xx.., tons of new stuff items class quests dungeons spells, bosses, terrain etc. i would assume my fans have to pay for the expansion map, maybe half $$ of my vanilla map(depending on content and expecting user experience). Obviously if a minor update, it's understandably free.

Ice Bane

Reaction score
While I agree with that ideal, I don't think everyone will think that way. Personally, I think it's a good idea to have premium maps, as it will encourage someone to spend a lot of time on a map, which will result in high quality maps (hopefully :rolleyes:).

If someone spends a lot of time creating a map because of the money the map probably won't be a thrill, it may be a good map, but the real good ones comes from the core of a creative mind that creates a map for the creative emission, to form a vision.

This is also what successful game developers say and I totally agree with them.

Premium is sure a bonus and might be a strive for some minds but I have the belief that you will lose a lot of players when making a map premium.

Ice Bane

Reaction score
High quality maps that you have to pay for.

The nice thing about this is that Blizzard will have a reason to regularly patch SC2 after its release, because they don't get a monthly delivery of money with one-time purchases like SC2.

Aye, greedy son of ogres! ;)

Ice Bane

Reaction score

I think they are considering this fact and that we won't know till release ;)

Darthfett

Reaction score
If someone spends a lot of time creating a map because of the money the map probably won't be a thrill, it may be a good map, but the real good ones comes from the core of a creative mind that creates a map for the creative emission, to form a vision.

This is also what successful game developers say and I totally agree with them.

In all likelihood, people who make maps for the game aren't going to be doing it solely for the profit they will get from it. Sure, there will be a few people who do this, but if they're not passionate, and the game isn't good, the game won't sell.

Putting the amount I'm actually willing to pay for a map aside (and my personal beliefs about open-source, etc), I'd rather play a game whose developers are getting paid, than a map whose developers are working whenever they feel like it. The quality is almost guaranteed to be higher (otherwise they wouldn't make any money for charging the amount they are charging). The developers will actually work on the map during their work time, and if they are actually dedicated, they will work on it during their free time as well.

The most popular and higher quality games are those made by people who get paid for their work.

Ice Bane

Reaction score
In all likelihood, people who make maps for the game aren't going to be doing it solely for the profit they will get from it. Sure, there will be a few people who do this, but if they're not passionate, and the game isn't good, the game won't sell.

Putting the amount I'm actually willing to pay for a map aside (and my personal beliefs about open-source, etc), I'd rather play a game whose developers are getting paid, than a map whose developers are working whenever they feel like it. The quality is almost guaranteed to be higher (otherwise they wouldn't make any money for charging the amount they are charging). The developers will actually work on the map during their work time, and if they are actually dedicated, they will work on it during their free time as well.

The most popular and higher quality games are those made by people who get paid for their work.

Good response, as you're saying it might increase the quality of the maps, true, true! Never thought of it that way :)
Silly me being so sceptic! ;)

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Personally, I like the premium map system. It will make ordinary custom maps by far more popular, because all those moron maps like DOTA will be premium, but nobody actually wants to pay for a damn map, so they will get less attention.

I hope there will be a lot of bad paid RPGs out there, so that the Gaias Retaliation ORPG Starcraft 2 remake - which will be definitely free to play - will become even more popular :>

PS: the only good thing about the premium map stuff is, that you get access to your own mpq and do not need to care about the import limit. I hope they will provide that option for free-to-play maps too.

Ice Bane

Reaction score
PS: the only good thing about the premium map stuff is, that you get access to your own mpq and do not need to care about the import limit. I hope they will provide that option for free-to-play maps too.

Are you sure it is about the mpq an not something streamed from blizzards servers? :)

punwisp

Reaction score
Lot of people, including shitty mappers will have high expectations for there shitty map, and will expect pple to buy it.

It will be hard to tell from good from shitty

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.