Why paid premium maps?

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Lot of people, including shitty mappers will have high expectations for there shitty map, and will expect pple to buy it.

It will be hard to tell from good from shitty

Ever heard of word of mouth? When you go into a store, do you buy the first movie you see? Of course not. You look up the interesting ones, and find out which ones are any good.

punwisp

Reaction score
Ever heard of word of mouth? When you go into a store, do you buy the first movie you see? Of course not. You look up the interesting ones, and find out which ones are any good.

Thats obvious, but irrelevant.

Imagine if Epic war did then premium thing, imagine all those hundreds of maps being projects people put up there to p2p there maps. Now imagine 25+ maps per day being added.

Theres a lot of shitty overconfident mappers with high expectations, a lot will flood it with crappy maps. Alot a bit after SC2 is released, most mappers will throw there maps and names in.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score

Imagine if Epic war did then premium thing, imagine all those hundreds of maps being projects people put up there to p2p there maps. Now imagine 25+ maps per day being added.

Theres a lot of shitty overconfident mappers with high expectations, a lot will flood it with crappy maps. Alot a bit after SC2 is released, most mappers will throw there maps and names in.

There's tons of terrible video games/movies out there. How many terrible video games/movies have you purchased?

Cookiemaster

Reaction score

Ah yes, but the few who dedicate their time to them in order to create a good map will probably make demo-versions of their premium map.

You aren't going to get your map "sold" unless you show people the features in it, otherwise it'll be considered the same as the other garbage heap of premium junk.

Ice Bane

Reaction score
Lot of people, including shitty mappers will have high expectations for there shitty map, and will expect pple to buy it.

It will be hard to tell from good from shitty

Naah, I think blizzard will be supervising which maps that becomes premium and not.

Ah yes, but the few who dedicate their time to them in order to create a good map will probably make demo-versions of their premium map.

You aren't going to get your map "sold" unless you show people the features in it, otherwise it'll be considered the same as the other garbage heap of premium junk.

Very good point indeed!

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think yet. On one hand, money is a good incentive, which might yield some amazing maps. But, there's also the fear that large map making groups will take over the "market" and not leave much for the more independent folk.

Based on what Blizzard said, I think they're only interested in taking in the best. I believe they made a comment that something like DotA was too simple, which means that to have your map be premium requires really stretching the boundaries of the editor.

I also think that having this goal of your map "going premium" will bolster the community aspect of battle.net, and lead to a lot more collaborations between map makers.

Zedzy

ℑΣÐℑΨ
Reaction score
I don't have a quote to back this up, but I believe Blizzard has said that they would have to approve maps for them to become premium. People shouldn't worry about "shitty maps" because it's doubtful whether Blizzard would endorse such maps.

I hope having paid premium maps will encourage mappers to create single-player maps :thup:.

Ice Bane

Reaction score
I don't have a quote to back this up, but I believe Blizzard has said that they would have to approve maps for them to become premium. People shouldn't worry about "shitty maps" because it's doubtful whether Blizzard would endorse such maps.

I hope having paid premium maps will encourage mappers to create single-player maps :thup:.

Neither have I a quote but I'm sure I've heard this.

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
Personally, I think premium maps will have to be very good to make it. So map makers might have to start out with making a very good map, and get people to like it. They will want to try to make the premium map so, they will work harder on it.

I doubt premium maps will just appear out of nowhere. I think it will be a better edition of a preexisting map. Just like software developers will make a free edition of their program, to get people a taste for the real thing. Also, this will allow the map makers to actual purchase content for their map, say they need to pay someone to make a model, or buy an existing one. There will be much more imports. Also, starcraft2 models will probably have many more polygons than say wc3. So modelers will have to work harder, and probably need money to make good content. So really i think the premium map idea is good if the map makers do it right. If I make a premium map, I would definitely make it from an existing map that already has a name for itself, then just make it better and with more content.

On the flip-side, maps may have less quality, saving the good quality for the premium maps. But I personally, would try to stick to just adding more eye candy to the premium maps.

Ouguiya

Reaction score
I have to say, I personally was shocked to find out that something like this has been introduced. I mean it was already bad enough having people making maps where they announced that if people spended enough via paypal, they would make the map better, but now such people actually have a platform to do it.

Although I agree with some of the posters here that it will lead to some high quality maps, it will still lead to a sort of kicking out of any map makers who make nice, but not overall great or powerful maps. This would likely result in it becoming sort of a stomping ground for the few skilled mappers who are actually able to make a good map.

The second problem is: In Warcraft III and TFT we had a few map which were as good as they would get, simply because of the boundaries that TFT had. Some things were simply not possible. (Yes, I know: The map editor in SC2 is supposed to be far more free, but some restrictions will always apply).

Well, we will see how it turns out in the end.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
"why paid premium maps?"

cuz if you make your own game using an engine like unreal, you sure as hell arent gonna give it away for free and if you make an entirely new game (which is most definitely possible in sc2 editor) then why would you wanna give that away for free?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.