Why The English Language Is So Hard To Learn

Mahucharn

I wear a fez now, fezzes are cool.
Reaction score
Saw these, made me laugh, couldn't find it posted before with the search. Old? Yes. Funny? Absolutely.

"1) The bandage was wound around the wound.

2) The farm was used to produce produce.

3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

4) We must polish the Polish furniture.

5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.

6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

10) I did not object to the object.

11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

13) They were too close to the door to close it.

14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.

15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.

19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?"

Source: http://boriko-superspa.blogspot.com/2010/07/why-english-is-so-hard-to-learn.html

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Quite funny.

Excuse me for ranting though.
From my expirience everybody wants their language to be the hardest to learn (don't ask me why :>).
Or at least Americans (I don't know many other English speaking people, so I can't really say anything about other nations)

English just is one of the easiest languages there is.

When I talked to some people about that subject they always say 'there are words with multiple meanings wich makes it so hard to learn'.
This is a difficult part of the language. Agreed. But it's just such a small fraction!

In German you have to learn a different article for every word. In French you have a crazy amount of different forms and tenses of a verb. Much harder then that.

I'm done.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
English just is one of the easiest languages there is.
Yeah. English is kind of easy because every word is somewhat unique in a sense.

Think about Eastern/Asian languages where the word structures are more complicated.
i.e. Japanese/Chinese/Korean where syllabication is more important
and are overall harder to speak/read.

Maybe we move this to the debates section..

Lol I just noticed this is wrong.
21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?"

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on the level you're aiming for.

Starting to learn English is easy. Sentences are constructed simply. There are no conjugations, no genders, so the learning curve is smooth.

However, as progress advances, the many exceptions and random rules knock in and thus, reaching the highest levels of English is hard.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
maybe its because the Romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian) are the second most spoken languages (Spanish specifically) are in a different group from English which is a Germanic language. I don't know. But to me English seems to be the only language where you can have an accent of sorts, accents doesn't seem so obvious in other languages (in mine at least).

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
But to me English seems to be the only language where you can have an accent of sorts, accents doesn't seem so obvious in other languages.
Because different languages have different standards for pronunciation the accent is carried on if you try to speak a different one.

i.e. An American would say that a Japanese speaking English would have an Japanese accent.
The same way a Japanese would say that an American speaking Japanese would have an American accented Japanese.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
maybe its because the Romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian) are the second most spoken languages (Spanish specifically) are in a different group from English which is a Germanic language. I don't know. But to me English seems to be the only language where you can have an accent of sorts, accents doesn't seem so obvious in other languages (in mine at least).

Spanish has more accents than English >.> Mexico alone has about 30 different Spanish accents...

Talk to someone from Mexico and then talk to someone from Cuba, then go to Argentina... then go to Spain... and you'll see what I'm talking about.

[YOUTUBE]SLyaXkzAfTE[/YOUTUBE]

ReVolver

Reaction score
but is that accent or dialect, i guess it is an accent.

When Spain came to the new land they didn't speak Spanish ;) Mexico has an accent because they spoke Nahuatl first, and so on...

Zakyath

Reaction score
English is a very easy language - of course I make errors from time to time, but I've spoken with people from England and the States who make even more mistakes than I do. What I think is the hardest thing is reaching that last step when it comes to the accent, I still have some issues with the th-sound (when I'm not thinking about it, that is).

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Personally, i've never had the TH sound. I say Think as Fink.
People know what your saying, i find it just redundant.

Zakyath

Reaction score
imo, if you're going to learn a language you should learn it properly and overcome the problems you have with it... otherwise you really haven't learned the language, have you? If you just say "no, I can't say that" you're not making any progress at all :D

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
I agree, getting the 'th' right is pretty hard.

I actually recorded myself and tried to get it right, but I just couldn't get it quite right.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I personally think that speaking English in a non-fluent way is very easy, as unlike most languages word order is not very important. You can almost just throw out some words that should go into a sentence and it could probably be made sense of.

ReVolver

Reaction score
I personally think that speaking English in a non-fluent way is very easy, as unlike most languages word order is not very important. You can almost just throw out some words that should go into a sentence and it could probably be made sense of.

This is true like Japanese, all you need is the particles in the right place.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Hmmm... now I want to find that article (I think it was an article) making fun of the plural forms of similar words :3

EDIT: Wahey, found it

Lol I just noticed this is wrong.

Yeah the last one is trying to say imitate and intimate. :p

I think english is easier to grow up learning, but learning it as a second language is more difficult than others.

Er... intimate works just fine as the verb in that sentence - definition
verb (used with object), -mat·ed, -mat·ing.
1. to indicate or make known indirectly; hint; imply; suggest.
2. Archaic . to make known; announce.

And, tbh, most (if not all) languages are difficult to learn (IMO) if they aren't your native language

Hmm, serious discussion about silly things from the English language in the Humor section, never thought this'd happen

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.