Sci/Tech Why We Need a Supercomputer on the Moon

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Should we build a supercomputer on the moon?

It would be a mammoth technical undertaking, but a University of Southern California graduate student thinks there’s a very good reason for doing this: It would help alleviate a coming deep-space network traffic jam that’s had NASA scientists worried for several years now.

Ouliang Chang floated his lunar supercomputer idea a few weeks ago at a space conference in Pasadena, California. The plan is to bury a massive machine in a deep dark crater, on the side of the moon that’s facing away from Earth and all of its electromagnetic chatter. Nuclear-powered, it would process data for space missions and slingshot Earth’s Deep Space Network into a brand new moon-centric era.

“Once the physical infrastructure backbone is laid out, I suspect it would look much like the monolith excavation site in Clarke and Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey,” says Chang’s course supervisor Madhu Thangavelu, of USC’s Viterbi School of Engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, and how do you do the maintenance?
Wanna send a spaceshuttle with a bunch of tech/it guys to the moon every other month?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, and how do you do the maintenance?
Wanna send a spaceshuttle with a bunch of tech/it guys to the moon every other month?

My assumption is that when we achieve the milestone of setting up a super computer on the Moon, we would already be able to set up a lunar base. There probably will be monthly shipments of supplies and equipments sent to the lunar base unmanned, and that the lunar base will have a dozen or so scientists busy working here and there.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
My assumption is that when we achieve the milestone of setting up a super computer on the Moon, we would already be able to set up a lunar base. There probably will be monthly shipments of supplies and equipments sent to the lunar base unmanned, and that the lunar base will have a dozen or so scientists busy working here and there.
Sounds reasonable.
Who is going to pay the 13 brajillion dollarz?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
We'd have a base there for repairs....

Varine

Reaction score
I would prefer to fund this than the vast majority of what my taxes go to. This at least reaches for a real achievement, rather than some moronic illusion of progress that most of the world has put up with for the past several decades.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
The "taxpayers", of course. ;)
No, only those who are able to fund such an expedition will go forth with it. The way I see it, if the Lunar Base has been planned by major countries, then, instead of taxpayers, they will start claiming lands on the Moon. Antartica will get lonely.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say this whole "lunar base" and "supercomputer" stuff is only really useful if you go all-in with it.
We dont need such a "lunar base" with our current space programs. But we might need it if we expand the space programs more.
If you build that lunar base/super computer now but dont send any more space shuttles or probes out its pretty pointless, a waste of money and labour.
If you do it, do the full program, everything less will be a waste.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
No, only those who are able to fund such an expedition will go forth with it. The way I see it, if the Lunar Base has been planned by major countries, then, instead of taxpayers, they will start claiming lands on the Moon. Antartica will get lonely.
That depends on what kind of people you are talking about! Well, I'm pretty sure, The government would provide some financial support. And that's does mean "your money!"
Anyway, It's a crazy idea. And Imagine, It would "brake down after two minutes!" LOL LOL

Varine

Reaction score
That depends on what kind of people you are talking about! Well, I'm pretty sure, The government would provide some financial support. And that's does mean "your money!"
Anyway, It's a crazy idea. And Imagine, It would "brake down after two minutes!" LOL LOL

Interplanetary colonization has to start somewhere.

Varine

Reaction score
Because people have attitudes like that.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe, but now it's Just a dream.. And It won't happen in the near future.
You can probably fly there with your self-driving cars!
On your flight you can watch movies and play 3D games on your smartphone.
Dude, sign me in! Starwars is a joke compared to this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.