Wii Successor Due – "No Details as MS/Sony Will Rip Us Off"

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Nintendo has confirmed the Wii successor console is well underway, but will not talk about it at all for fear of it being ripped off.

Nintendo boss Satoru Iwada confirmed that a successor to its wildly successful Wii console is under development – however, he refuses to part with any details out of fear that the competition will swipe the idea:

“Unfortunately, the history of entertainment is also the history of imitation.

If a superb idea comes out, and it’s something you can’t protect with a patent, it will be copied immediately.”

He goes on to talk about the importance of “surprising” consumers – this and his secretiveness seem to suggest the successor may be more than just a Wii with upgraded hardware.

Previously Nintendo has been keen to point out that the Move and Kinect are mere copies of its Wiimote – though considering how long it took Microsoft and Sony to come out with them, they hardly seem to pose a major threat.

Source from NSFW Sankaku Forums.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
so nintendo is coming out with the 8th generation before sony and microsoft..

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
What I've found is that people who bought the Wii enjoyed it for the first few days/weeks and now months/years later no longer have a use for it other than wasting bounty paper towels and cleaning fluid. With the PS3 at least I can stream movies from my computer to my TV, watch Blu-ray and play games. And considering I don't really play console games that still leaves me with more uses than I'd have for a Wii. Maybe Nintendo will finally catch up to current technology and not just rely on gimicks with this new console.

Reaction score
> so nintendo is coming out with the 8th generation before sony and microsoft..
They never said that. There is no need for Nintendo to replace Wii yet.

> Maybe Nintendo will finally catch up to current technology and not just rely on gimicks with this new console.
Nintendo is ahead (3DS?). We've been able to watch movies for years, that's no current technology.

sqrage

Reaction score
> Maybe Nintendo will finally catch up to current technology and not just rely on gimicks with this new console.
Nintendo is ahead (3DS?). We've been able to watch movies for years, that's no current technology.

Sure you can watch movies but I can stream them wirelessly over wifi and watch it on my big screen TV with the PS3. And it works flawlessly

As for Wii tech, look at its graphics... look at its hardware, it doesn't use any technology that's newer than 6 years. Doesn't allow you to play DVDs without hacking it. No HDMI support, no Blu-ray (or previously HDDVD) support. You can't even begin to argue that the Wii has superior tech when compared to the 360 or even more so the PS3.

I do want to see what gimmick they'll come out with next though so Sony and Microsoft can try eagerly to copy it.

Reaction score
Okay, that can be called current technology and Wii can't do that. Sorry for not thinking about it enough.

PS3 and 360 sure are far more powerful. But not all games need super realistic graphics that only PS3 and 360 are capable of showing. And super realistic graphics do not necessarily equal to a good game. Wind Waker for GameCube still looks like it was made for today's console. Super Mario galaxy and it's sequel are probably the most beautiful games I've ever played.

Wii is only a gaming device. Not a.. I can't think of a word for it :p.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
well. at E3 nintendo stated that people play the Wii more often than the other game consoles and play it for longer after they have bought it

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Good graphic gets old, gameplay doesn't.

It's true that the Wii lacks a lot of features that the 360/PS3 have, but I wouldn't really use them anyway.
I'm buying a gaming console to play games, I don't need a multimedia station. And judging from the console sales I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

In the end it's the $$$ that counts and compared to the Failcube the Wii sure is successful.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
I would like to disagree with sqrage.

Wii is meant as a party console and as such should be always played with friends.

Case in point? SSMB.

I hear by rest my case your honor.

sqrage

Reaction score
>>I'm buying a gaming console to play games, I don't need a multimedia station. And judging from the console sales I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

See, I actually do use those features, the gaming part is the thing I use least of the whole thing. (Watch movies every couple of days, play games once every other month or so) I wasn't really looking to argue, just pointing out my thoughts.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Wii is meant as a party console and as such should be always played with friends.

Case in point? SSMB.
The only time we ever play Wii is when we have people over. And even then it doesn't last long, as the only games we play for it are Mario Kart and... uh... well, we tried playing SSMB a couple of times but the whole thing did not seem to make any sense whatsoever.
Thing is, PS3 is just more fun because it has more games for it that we enjoy. So, I honestly hope that Nintendo actually take a few pointers from Sony and maybe develop some original games for this new console and original characters rather than recycling the same ones over and over and over and over...
And for the record, no gimmick like motion controls will make me buy one console over another if there is no longevity in the games, so if the new Nintendo relies on something like that then I won't be buying it.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
See, I actually do use those features, the gaming part is the thing I use least of the whole thing. (Watch movies every couple of days, play games once every other month or so) I wasn't really looking to argue, just pointing out my thoughts.

They are neat to have there, but I think it is like the cellphone history, they are for making calls and texting might be a nice function to have but internet and watching movies on them and what not is just to much you know:rolleyes:
But that is perhaps just me being to old fashioned:eek:

@on topic: I think that this console might be where they actually makes VR or even AR become reality. I am thinking headpieces(no tv needed).

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
so nintendo is coming out with the 8th generation before sony and microsoft..

Wii does have inferior hardware, it may be a while though. I welcome a new generation with improved hardware, so long as it continues to have the features that the Wii has.

What I've found is that people who bought the Wii enjoyed it for the first few days/weeks and now months/years later no longer have a use for it other than wasting bounty paper towels and cleaning fluid. With the PS3 at least I can stream movies from my computer to my TV, watch Blu-ray and play games. And considering I don't really play console games that still leaves me with more uses than I'd have for a Wii. Maybe Nintendo will finally catch up to current technology and not just rely on gimicks with this new console.

I disagree about Wii games not being fun after a long period of time. While I mostly play shooter/action games on the PC, my more friendly games on the Wii are still fun to play occasionally. This is coming from a non console gamer, as well.

You do have a point with the PS3 being useful as a Blu-ray player, though that may change if/when blu-ray players drop their prices.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score

This is exactly the case with mine.
The only time I ever even turn mine on is when I have a chick over and shes like "Ooooh! You have a Wii?! Lets play that bowling game!". Lol

I have all three (Wii, PS3, and 360), and I generally only play the 360 if I ever play console games, or just games in general. I only really use my PS3 to play LittleBigPlanet, because my mom likes to play that every few weeks for a bit, and my Wii when I have friends over.

For me, I enjoy all three. The 360 has the most games that interest me, yes, but all have their own share of games. HOWEVER, with the Wii, there are those times where you're thinking "Man, I wanna be lazy and just play a video game without having to move around", like late at night or when you're sick, and don't want to have to jump around or flail your arms. Lol

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
do i really want to have ultra reality video games where i pretend to hold a gun and run and shoot? it would wear me out

Reaction score
> it would wear me out
Get off the sofa and train some so you can hold a light plastic stick.

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
@on topic: I think that this console might be where they actually makes VR or even AR become reality. I am thinking headpieces(no tv needed).

The Virtual Boy will soon have his return! Dun - Dun - Dunnnnnnn

On topic:

I think the Wii is kinda shortlived, it's more something we use for like 1 hour max, and only when we have people over. What i would like in the future is good gameplay, and a normal controller that doesn't have to be bent in weird ways, and disconnect half of the time anyway [/rant]

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
What I only want is USB 3.0 wired controllers for the new Wii successor.

I do not want to see myself having to buy batteries for wireless controllers. It wastes up my allowance up to 50% if it keeps this up each month.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.