Environment Wind turbines make bat lungs explode

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
"Beware: exploding lungs" is not a sign one would expect to see at a wind farm. But a new study suggests this is the main reason bats die in large numbers around wind turbines.

The risk that wind turbines pose to birds is well known and has dogged debates over wind energy. In fact, several studies have suggested the risk to bats is greater. In May 2007, the US National Research Council published the results of a survey of US wind farms showing that two bat species accounted for 60% of winged animals killed. Migrating birds, meanwhile, appear to steer clear of the turbines.

Why bats - who echolocate moving objects - are killed by turbines has remained a mystery until now. The research council thought the high-frequency noise from the turbines' gears and blades could be disrupting the bats' echolocation systems.

In fact, a new study shows that the moving blades cause a drop in pressure that makes the delicate lungs of bats suddenly expand, bursting the tissue's blood vessels. This is known as a barotrauma, and is well-known to scuba divers.

Last edited:

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
No, no more bats.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
f*ck that id rather have no more wind energy, they eat flys and musquitos which piss me off.

also im never ever gonna go scuba diving

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
f*ck that id rather have no more wind energy, they eat flys and musquitos which piss me off.

also im never ever gonna go scuba diving

Mosquitoes.

I vote that we call science up and tell them to make bats adapt.

esb

Reaction score
I wonder if they could use bat repellent. Either way it would disrupt their habitat one way or another. Eventually affecting a cycle and probably a food chain.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
no offense but srsly how much time do you have on your hands if you troll the forums fixing peoples spelling. i type short cuz im lazy, and im not being checkd on my spellin >.>

and how are bats gonna adapt to exploding loungs? lmao to adapt to that theyd have to remove the uses of lungs, and that impo. unless they find another way to breath

Varine

Reaction score
no offense but srsly how much time do you have on your hands if you troll the forums fixing peoples spelling. i type short cuz im lazy, and im not being checkd on my spellin >.>

I don't 'troll the forums'; I assumed someone was going to tell me to go f*ck myself or something and I felt like reading it, but instead you spelled mosquitoes wrong so I put the correct spelling. It's not like I was purposely coming here to see if I could correct someone.

and how are bats gonna adapt to exploding loungs? lmao to adapt to that theyd have to remove the uses of lungs, and that impo. unless they find another way to breath

The same way everything else adapts to their surroundings. But I don't know, maybe if they had a more resilient respiratory system it would solve the problem?

esb

Reaction score
Adapting would be simple. Like migrating birds, they should learn to stay away from the wind turbines. Hope they produce enough for the generations to learn.

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
From the article:
One solution could be to increase the minimum wind speed needed to set the blades in motion. Most bats are more active in low wind.

It's not all about the bats, guys.

Varine

Reaction score
More wind required means less energy produced which means NUCLEAR POWER COMES TO THE USA!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
More wind required means less energy produced which means NUCLEAR POWER COMES TO THE USA!

Nuclear power has been in the US for a while. My Uncle worked for the Bay City, TX Plant back in the day. He still works for power plants around the US. That Bay City plant is still there and providing power for alot of Texas.

Nukes are for suckers though

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74679

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
The environmental and governmental regulations on it make non cost effective. Not to mention having a bunch of nuclear technology floating around out there. They have what they have under wraps.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I don't 'troll the forums'; I assumed someone was going to tell me to go f*ck myself or something and I felt like reading it, but instead you spelled mosquitoes wrong so I put the correct spelling. It's not like I was purposely coming here to see if I could correct someone.

lmao it was a joke i dont care if u correct my spelling <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.