Sci/Tech Windows 10 said to be Microsoft’s final Windows OS version

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Windows 10 is on the horizon, and with its launch, Microsoft will be challenging the way you think about the operating system. Microsoft plans to run Windows more like a service and less like a traditional OS, where users are always waiting for the next big version to roll out. Microsoft announced at its Ignite conference this week that Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows. Microsoft has no plans to let Windows 10 become stale. On the contrary, it plans to keep Windows evolving with regular improvements and updates.

Microsoft seems confident in its new direction for Windows. According to a company spokesperson:

"We aren’t speaking to future branding at this time, but customers can be confident Windows 10 will remain up-to-date and power a variety of devices from PCs to phones to Surface Hub to HoloLens and Xbox. We look forward to a long future of Windows innovations."

The future of Microsoft Windows will lie in updates as opposed to big, spaced-out releases of shiny, new versions. It's likely that the updates will roll out as needed instead waiting for a designated day of the week, because Microsoft has effectively killed "Patch Tuesday." Windows 10 is split into different OS components so its built-in apps and Start Menu can be updated independently from the core OS.

Read more here. (Slashgear)

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Oh shit. What comes after Windows? And what would you really want in an operating system that you don't already have?
^This is a serious question, and I'm curious to see what you all suggest.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Oh shit. What comes after Windows? And what would you really want in an operating system that you don't already have?
^This is a serious question, and I'm curious to see what you all suggest.

Windows 10 will be the last "Frame", if you will. The product itself will be updated in a patching manner, which means that Windows 10 will always be updated to the latest technology.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't read the article and made stupid assumptions. Oh well.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
How do they think about monetizing this? Will they charge money for updates? Sounds dubious.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you see that work? Because I certainly dont.
The user base for windows is a different one to android and iOS. Windows users use third party programs, business software, inhouse software, etc. There is not much money to be made by microsoft through a windows store.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they want to make Windows the most relevent product for computer devices. They will have contracts all over the world for the increasing number of modern devices used in production/industry, as most devices as of now are from the 90's and will also need an overhaul, either for increased production rate or efficiency, generally speaking of.

I think this is the best move they've made in a long time and I'm certain this step is crucial to stay above linux based systems.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
They can monetize the environment. Obviously whatever the base cost for Windowss 10 is, but then you could charge for different suites or something, like a move into microtransactions within the product. In addition to maybe some kind of monthly or yearly fee, or put advertisements on your desktop or something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.